Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Christmas

[Be...]

Hello Pamster,

Time of year to be jolly, fake smiles, drunken family members being persistent for ya to take a drink....family issues/rows on top of that.

I don't mean to sound like a bah humbug..but it's just pressure early on in recovery.

It's the time of year I know I'm most vulnerable.

I get it, I'm recovering too and remember how difficult it was in the beginning, some people wanting the old you back, others encouraging the new you.  The trouble is, we're not sure who we really are when we make huge changes, it takes time to figure this out and you're right, the holidays test us.

You're smart to recognize your vulnerability, it will help you be prepared for situations that could trip you up. 

I think you should take one thing at a time. Right now, you should dread Thanksgiving. Then after that, you can dread Christmas.  ;)

But seriously, I can think of a couple things you might do to get you through the holidays.

First, find one or two people in your family who can understand your predicament, who can be at your side at holiday gatherings to help shield you from the questions and pressures and drunks. Even just one person like that would make a big difference - just one ally, a sort of patient advocate, so you're not alone. If there's no one like that now, try to recruit and train someone.

Second, focus on the good aspects of the holidays: the warmth, the beauty, the memories, the tree, the lights, the food, the music, the chestnuts roasting on an open fire, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and whatever religious gatherings you may value.

Anyway, that's what worked for me, back when I had to handle that sort of holiday stress. Don't let it ruin the joy of the season. There's little enough of it as is. It won't be like this forever. You'll get through it. I did.