Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

We Just Need More Drugs

[Si...]

I posted this on another thread but thought it deserved more attention.

Just last night I received a call from a lady I have been supporting who was on benzos 28 years. Her worst symptoms are gastrointestinal (lucky lady).

She went to gastroenterologist and have days of test done at a major university medical school - yesterday morning he called and reported her tests were 100% normal. She then stated that it had to be benzo caused as she has only been off nine months and never had it before.

To this he stated he was making an appointment for her with a psychiatrist as he felt she was "Delusional" about the withdrawal and would require medication.

Sit

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  It seems the drs. are as brain washed as the rest of the world by "big pharma!"  Or, maybe it's that they have no shame.

Big Pharma looks for huge profits in the one size fits all mass production of medications.  Its as if shoe manufacturers decided to make only 3 sizes in a style.  Studies are run and it is determined that 3 sizes fit the majority of their prospective market...and those of us in that market who are different then the averages are just destined to limp and bleed and suffer.

We are still trying to get my daughter out of the Lyrica hell.  I ask the pharmacists today if he had had any complaints about folks withdrawing etc from Lyrica and he said 'No' and was anxious to hear details of the problem.  He said he knew Lyrica was a very very powerful drug because -unlike neurotin, its predessor-it is a controlled or restricted drug.

Please if you know anyone considering using this drug make sure they know that if they lose the genetic spin of the wheel their withdrawl will be hell.

SD

SW,

I'm sorry she is going thru this after everything she has already gone thru. Poor girl. It will end though. Thank you for the warning. These meds are just unbelievable. 

I don't think many doctors understand, what the w/d symptoms are. And that its not a rebound of anxiety or depression.  They should learn about what people go though when they stopped insted of thinking that because of the w/d symptoms that a person should go right back on the pills, thus, they will be stuck on them for the rest of their lives, thanks to these doctors.

As an update on this patient: the treating doctor is the head of gastroenterology for a major USA teaching hospital. She called last night in tears - now he has decided that the multiple gastric symptoms are absolutely not benzo at 9 months off and she should have a colostomy (removal of the large intestine and colon).

This was after 6 different tests shows no pathology.

Sit

Hi Sit2now,

Are you saying that your doctor has nor decided that you need this major operation, even though the tests indicate otherwise? Am I missing something? Or is it that the previous tests were misinterpreted?

Hi

Sit is talking about a third person not himself,and I'm not sure of the point being made, Sit are you going to counsel this person? do you need input? or are you just railing against the diagnosis contrary to existing test results?

Bobers

I have always assumed that surgery was not done absent compelling evidence.  Gastric distress that has flared up ONLY since withdrawing from benzos would certainly warrant consideration.  Especially with no other evidence of medical problems.

Has anyone suggested that she  re-instate benzos short term to see if gastric issues go away?

SD

The patient is no longer going to see this doctor while she is having a hard time thinking 9 months is still benzo meeting others much further off and suffering is helping her.

The medical community just does not believe the degree of damage that can be done some "lucky" few of us.

Or they don't want to believe it.

The patient is no longer going to see this doctor while she is having a hard time thinking 9 months is still benzo meeting others much further off and suffering is helping her.

Glad she stopped seeing that doctor. Wise decision. Sounds like a complete idiot to me. I mean even moreso than is typical. :2funny:

• 1 year later...
Hi swedishdad....Just wondering if your daughter is finally over the Lyrica withdrawal.  I have had my own nightmare withdrawing from that stuff.  It's almost one year since stopping. I'm better, but still have relapses.