Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Advice please

Hi

I am now 14 and half months benzo free and not doing well. Doctor has me on epilum,seroquel and prestiq because my anxiety has been so bad, when I stopped the valium, it was like my whole life kept flashing in my mind especially some horrible traumatic times,so they have diagnosed me with post traumatic stress. I have tried different a/d in recovery and they dont't work, so I am now in process of slowly coming off each med. I have just started stopping epilum. I haven't worked since my car accident in 2006, so 2 weeks ago I've started 2 days a week voluntary, and try to keep out of the house the other days.My problem is I'm frightened my mind feels numb most days, I can't think properly,it feels like I'm shut down, can't feel anything,its like I'm brain dead,as much, as they the doctors have reasurred me.I;m not mad and theirs no damage, I fear everyday as mentally their has not been much improvement and I have never been like this before. Can anyone relate to this especially with this much time up. Thanks

Hi Lisacoast.  I am 18 months off and recently posted a "success story" last week.  However, at 14-15 months, I experienced a setback that involved a spike in anxiety, some sleeplessness, a return of vertigo for a few days and some intermittent blues.  I think the setback was largely provoked by the decision to get a puppy from a shelter that was very ill.  The dog had to be housebroken, taught not to chew our walls or belongings and he was quite ill and required about six vet visits at fairly high expense to resolve his worst health problems.  I guess I wasn't quite ready for that stress on top of the other ongoing things like my father's cancer and learning that his roof had leaked after heavy rain, a difficult sibling who brings up opposition whenever I fly out to help my father repair his house and the impact on my family financially.  Vocationally, I have also not worked as much as I would have liked the last couple years and I have been looking into some new opportunities that also weigh on my "anxiety" and "stress".   I think the things that helped me get through those tough months and which will hopefully help with future stressful situations... is working on my spiritual life.  I have read some books recently that resonated with me.  I am not preaching any particular religion or approach, just saying that I've turned inward to some spiritual focus and have in some ways been helped by this approach, if one can call it that.  Also, mindfulness practice, breathing and meditation can help, as well as a good psychological approach that does not try to force one to change more rapidly than one is "ready" to.  I like the ACT approach and have found the book "The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety" by Forsyth and Eifert to be helpful.  I am sorry that you have to deal with these ongoing symptoms this far out Lisa. I have read that it can take 18 months or longer to work out some of the more stubborn kinks of the nervous system after going off benzodiazepenes.  I needed all 18 and am still working on a few things, mostly which I had BEFORE benzos.  That's the other thing, I took that first valium because of insomnia which was in part caused by anxiety and poor stress management skills.  While I've worked on some of this in the last couple years, there's always more to learn as new challenges emerge.

Best wishes and hang in there,

Vertigo

hi lisa,

i am 13.5 months benzo free and still have symptoms, too.  i was just posted to another member who is about 15 months off and struggling.  i've noticed a lot of people really getting hit hard between months 14-16 especially.  unfortunately, it seems to be normal for benzo recovery.

i hope you feel better soon.

Thanks vertigo and L123 it is just really hard when the brains not working properly and you feel or then you feel overload.

Thanks Vertigo

Voluntary works doing ok, I thought it would help make me feel better,but I don't feel much change,I'm also going to try and do a business management course,I am just so desperate to think and function normal again.

I hear you Lisa.  I sometimes have a little trouble remembering to follow up on some things even after just thinking of it less than five minutes ago.    Is it benzos or is it aging?  I'm not even 50!  Well, I think it will improve with time AND doing mental exercises, crosswords, new challenges...  We have to be willing to make mistakes and take chances and get off our feet and just keep trying.  I've been working on some memory and association workbooks. I hope they might help.   I think we're not the only ones to feel some cog fog after benzo use.  Fortunately at 18 months, I've seen some windows and I wish the same for you.  The good news is being off the benzo now.

Best,

Vertigo