Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

your favorite ridiculous doctor quotes about benzos/withdrawal? Go!

[30...]

1)

doc:  "look if we need to load you up on 6mg of Xanax to calm you down, that's what we have to do.  then we will just lather you up in depakote so you don't seize when you are ready to get off"

me:  uh-huh.  okay, buh-bye. 

2)

Doc:  "I think this could be about repressed anger or caregiver burn out" 

me:    oh really, repressed anger or burn out causes your spine to burn, ears to scream and your legs to feel like they are being poked by forks and knives?  good to know

3)

Doc:  Back in the 90's it was standard to have folks on 6-8 milligrams of Xanax,  1.5 mg is NOTHING!

ME:  UM-KAY.  BUH-BYE

beck I am so sorry I know that isn't funny but I mean I totally bust out laughing when I read that ( I don't laugh much these days) ---- god, what the hell? 

It is funny what that idiot NP said to me.  He was clueless about how benzo's can damage the brain.  That NP even told me he was a doctor when he came into the exam room.  He was the one who was delusional.  He's gone now from that practice.  I complained about him.

“You can taper off a benzo however fast you want after you add in buspirone or lexapro.”

“No one in my 30 years of practice has ever had trouble coming off gabapentin.”

“Wait, you’re now sensitive to all medications? {panic voice} What will you do if you get an infection?!”

“Everyone gets a random tingling foot sometimes (after my leg burned like fire then went completely numb for a month following a steroid injection - I didn’t know about wd yet). **turns to nurse** Haven’t you slept funny on a leg and gotten that?”

“You know, my colleagues laugh at people who say they have medication sensitivities.”

“If you can’t take Pepcid, I really don’t think there’s anything I can recommend to help you.” {no mention of lifestyle, diet, exercise, or natural things to combat reflux symptoms}

I’ve got a hundred of these. I love the good and caring team of doctors I have now, but the rotten ones have been extra, extra bad. You should start another thread for ridiculous stuff our family members and friends have said.

• 3 months later...

BUMP!

I have been off Xanax for 2.5 months. Go back in time to May 2021, when I was on 4mg and just starting my taper. My prescribing NP said to me (regarding FOUR mg Xanax);

"Lower it by half a mg every week for 4 weeks. You can't just stop taking Xanax. You have to taper off."

Um...how is cutting a HUGE half mg every week and then jumping to another huge half mg drop the next week 'tapering'? He was dead serious. The irony of his bad advice was that he was warning me not to quit cold turkey and was letting me know it may take as long as a whole month to get off 4mg Xanax. It actually took me about 6 months exactly and from what I have red on here, from other WD sufferers, that is actually lightning fast. One month is ridiculous.

I really liked him. He is a nice guy. Just oblivious to benzo WD and tapering. Oblivious.

“What you are taking is considered a pediatric dose “ (2 mg Ativan a day)

“Don’t worry about it.  One day you’ll just forget a dose and then eventually you’ll just quit taking it”

“Start taking your midday dose every other day and the every two days and keep doing that for a couple of months and then just stop and move on to your evening dose”

“I’ll worry about it when I see your name on the news for breaking into a pharmacy to get more pills” (Said with a laugh)

Me: These drugs are not working anymore and are making me sicker I think.

Doc: No, your anxiety and panic are just getting worse and you probably need to take more valium. Ugh!