Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Doc said taper shouldn't be a prob if you really don't need med to begin with

With what my doc said, " the taper shouldn't be a problem if you really shouldn't be on the Klonopin to begin with" - how do we know if we "SHOULD BE ON THE MED TO BEGIN WITH"?  I'm sure I'm like all of you and don't need it, but it makes me think...

Thanks for all your input!

Lisa

Hi Lisa:

This statement makes absolutely no sense to me.  Of course individual experiences vary based upon a wide variety of factors.  But tolerance and withdrawal related to benzodiazepine use occur mostly as a function of time on the benzo, and dosage.  Withdrawal symptoms can occur regardless of whether or not the person "needed the med to begin with."

Draftsman 

[f1...]

Lisa,

I agree with draftsman as well.

" the taper shouldn't be a problem if you really shouldn't be on the Klonopin to begin with"
  ???

Your doctor needs revision!

S#

I agree with you two... but who would she be talking about?  Who EXACTLY does need a benzo?  People with seizures, or what conditions could she have been talking about?  On my bad days, I remember her words and they haunt me!  I am in the process of seeing another doc - hoping he's better! 

Thanks for your input - it's good to hear!

Lisa

Too many docs have been misinformed about the proper uses of benzodiazepenes.  In my view, very few people "should be" on benzodiazepenes long term.  They may have their place in limited crisis situations, pre op, maybe to manage seizures or some rare disease where no other medication is helpful.   Mostly, these pills are prescribed like candy and doctors are told by big pharma that they are perfectly safe because of their "short half life" as if there are no issues with addiction or inter dose withdrawal or tolerance.  They are told that valium is the big bad monster and that pills like xanax or klonopin are not like that evil monster valium. To be fair, doctors have no reason to not believe what they are taught in medical school, although I don't like that so many rely on those people that cart around pills in their roller suitcases to doctor offices and think they know the dangers of the pills they are pushing for the pharmaceutical companies.  Check out the movie "Love and Other Drugs"...  

Best,

Vertigo

Thanks Vertigo!  I've felt this way too - but when she told me that.... and when I have a bad day with w/d, it just makes me wonder.  I know I'm right  - as you guys are too - it's just the w/d s/x talking crazy stuff in my head!

Good to hear-  :D

Lisa

[f1...]
Who EXACTLY does need a benzo?

I think they should only be used as Vertigo described. In a situation where Status Epilepticus may Occur, seizures, so on..

S#