Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Short-Term Users - 3 Month or Less

I know there are a few of us here who were lucky enough to realize a bad thing was happening and were able to make the decision to get off benzos after just 90 days or less use.  Would love to hear how other short-timers have fared.  If you were a short-timer, please share your story of where you are today, how you got there and how you are feeling.

Thanks

[cc...]

Hi There,

I'm not a short-timer, but I will tell you this.

After I was prescribed Klonopin, at the time, taking 1mg a day. I ran out after two months of use.. daily! And on the third day right before I could see the psych. to get more.. I was burning up, anxious, d/r, d/p, and all sorts of things. When I took the 1mg as soon as I got it, it all faded away. Thinking back, I got dependent on it after only two months.

Just my input.

Sigma,

I was hooked after 40 days.  Probably sooner, just hadn't tried stopping.  I will never forget when I tried to c/t at the end of the third day I was so miserable.  I took 1/4 of a 1.0 pill and within 5 minutes a warm feeling like I have never felt before rushed through my system and I was out for about 10 minutes.  Once that happened I knew I was in trouble.

I guess what I was trying to get at with my post was have short-timers had an easier time quitting and less protracted symptoms.  I guess I am just hoping. 

Hi Okokok,

I am a short term user(3 months) and almost 8 months benzo free. I can tell you that w/d for me was horrible. I had every symptom imaginable and more. The first 6 months were very hard for me but right after my 6 month point I started to feel much better. Now I would consider myself 90% healed with only some slight dizziness left.

From what I have read on here, sometimes those of us who took it shorter than others, can still have a very bad w/d. I know that I sure did!

Hope you are feeling ok and know that it will get better, it just takes time.

birdie  :)

Birdiegirl,

I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Kelly

[cc...]

Sigma,

I was hooked after 40 days.  Probably sooner, just hadn't tried stopping.  I will never forget when I tried to c/t at the end of the third day I was so miserable.  I took 1/4 of a 1.0 pill and within 5 minutes a warm feeling like I have never felt before rushed through my system and I was out for about 10 minutes.  Once that happened I knew I was in trouble.

I guess what I was trying to get at with my post was have short-timers had an easier time quitting and less protracted symptoms.  I guess I am just hoping. 

I will never forget when I tried to c/t at the end of the third day I was so miserable. 

That's what happened to me on the third day, just horrible.

Short term, Long term... sometimes I find it about equal in comparison.

You will need to taper slowly as you know.

S#

I consider myself a short time user.  I used every OTC pill and then resorted mainly to clonazepam and temazepam for almost 2 months.  I had about 4 months prior of tons of stress and no sleep.

I am now almost 3 months free and feeling a lot better.  I sleep most nights with one brief wake up and one night a week u tend to struggle sleeping in general.  Tonight my night  :-\ 

I did suffer tremendously thru this w/d...bad.  I believe no matter how long you were in pills, you still suffer the aftermath; every recovery takes different amounts of time depending on overtones situation. 

I hope by month 4 I can be 100% healed.  I am like 85% now

I had an anxiety attack one day due to, no sleep, quiting smoking pot, energy drinks as well as an over the counter nose spray i was using. 

I went to the doc and he gave me xanax.  With instructions take 3x a day when needed.  I took it for a week and then cut my dose in half. 

I didn't sleep for 3 days and was in the hospital for 12 hours with a burning throat and dry heaving, I was a mess. 

I upped my dose back to 3 and i was able to sleep and  function.  Went back to my doctor and he told me to taper slowly.  I am now down to 1 0.5 pill a day.  I have wd sx but I exercise everyday and eat really well and it keeps the wd controlable

I Used for 11 weeks in total including 2 week taper (please don't do this), over 8 months free things have improved but still suffering.

I was a short term user. I only used Xanax 10 days then cold turkied it per my doctors request. After 7 days of being free but being unable to eat or sleep and going crazy, the Dr put me on Ativan and I stayed on it for 2 months trying to stabalize. Once I felt a little better (but still pretty sick), I did a 3 month taper off. I am 10 months off now and doing much better but still have 5 symptoms to get rid of. Healing does happen and I notice more improvements every month so hang in there!

I took 4 months (plus three week taper) ativan 1 mg/day.  My wd was very difficult and 16 weeks off, I'm just starting to get some hours of sleep, have anxiety every day (did not have before), and still don't feel hunger.  I had many many wd. symptoms but they are going way.  Some short time users do really well, other get hit.

I consider myself a short time user.  I only used for about 4 months, then with the taper an additional 3, so 7 months total.  I'm up and down most the time.  I still have a lot of symptoms ( depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts, paranoid thoughts, depersonalization, nightmares, sometimes hard to sleep, headaches, pains the list goes on).

It's hard to exercise, watch television, eat certain things without symptoms going wild.  I don't consider my self anywhere close to being healed, but my short use makes me wonder if it's really withdrawal or not, when I tell my family it's withdrawal they laugh at me lol.

Stress is hard to endure as well, causes migraines, anxiety, depression as well.

All I can do is just keep going and hope one day I will miraculously wake up and feel good, and stabilize that.....