Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

one more question.. suboxone

Also a withdrawal doc in san fran uses suboxone for benzo withdrawal. Anyone heard of this? I am skeptical of this too.

Thanks

I have a nephew who became dependent on suboxone and only got off it by going on methadone!  You're smart to be leary of it.  ;)

[45...]

I've worked in behavioral health for much of the past two decades, including six years in psychiatric hospitals as a social worker, and I've never heard of anyone using Suboxone for benzo withdrawal. Suboxone is used in opiate withdrawal and is for short-term use only. I have heard of people who claim to have been "hooked" on suboxone, as Beeper said about a nephew, but physicians have to have special DEA authorization to dispense suboxone and I'd be a bit leery of touching the stuff except for a very short period during withdrawal from opiate dependence.

I worked at one hospital for two years where a doc was DEA-certified and without exception every one of the 40-50 people he treated for opiate dependence while I worked there was on suboxone only for a short (7-10 days) period. I worked closely with those clients who were hospitalized and not one of them reported any kind of "high" with suboxone -- only the lack of withdrawal symptoms from heroin, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.

We had several people over those two years who came in for detox from benzos and every time the doc tried a fast-taper method, and I can only recall one person who left who, in my estimation, seemed to have any chance of remaining free of benzos post-discharge. I've often hoped there would be something for benzo dependence, because for 13-1/2 years I hid my own "dark secret" about my addiction to benzos. There seem to be three options: detox with phenobarbitol, taper over months and months and still face withdrawal symptoms, or cold turkey and deal with the hell that comes with it. I chose cold turkey twice before and this is my third -- and final -- attempt. I'm at Day 38, or 15 days longer than my previous attempts of 17 and 23 days.

IMHO, if you don't need suboxone, or any other meds for that matter, stay away from them. Coming off benzos is hard enough to add another med to the mix...

This is me on Day 38:  ::)

(Today is actually the second day I've felt half-way decent. The first was about a week ago. I'm hoping these days will come more often!)

I've worked in behavioral health for much of the past two decades, including six years in psychiatric hospitals as a social worker, and I've never heard of anyone using Suboxone for benzo withdrawal. Suboxone is used in opiate withdrawal and is for short-term use only. I have heard of people who claim to have been "hooked" on suboxone, as Beeper said about a nephew, but physicians have to have special DEA authorization to dispense suboxone and I'd be a bit leery of touching the stuff except for a very short period during withdrawal from opiate dependence.

I worked at one hospital for two years where a doc was DEA-certified and without exception every one of the 40-50 people he treated for opiate dependence while I worked there was on suboxone only for a short (7-10 days) period. I worked closely with those clients who were hospitalized and not one of them reported any kind of "high" with suboxone -- only the lack of withdrawal symptoms from heroin, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.

We had several people over those two years who came in for detox from benzos and every time the doc tried a fast-taper method, and I can only recall one person who left who, in my estimation, seemed to have any chance of remaining free of benzos post-discharge. I've often hoped there would be something for benzo dependence, because for 13-1/2 years I hid my own "dark secret" about my addiction to benzos. There seem to be three options: detox with phenobarbitol, taper over months and months and still face withdrawal symptoms, or cold turkey and deal with the hell that comes with it. I chose cold turkey twice before and this is my third -- and final -- attempt. I'm at Day 38, or 15 days longer than my previous attempts of 17 and 23 days.

IMHO, if you don't need suboxone, or any other meds for that matter, stay away from them. Coming off benzos is hard enough to add another med to the mix...

This is me on Day 38:  ::)

(Today is actually the second day I've felt half-way decent. The first was about a week ago. I'm hoping these days will come more often!)

Thank you for this post. I appreciate it. I hope you can tough out your cold turkey and heal. My heart goes out to you.

I don't read many stories of medical detox that ended with people off and healing. Most reinstate from what I read. And they feel worse. I hope I haven't damaged myself by getting down to .3 and then going back up to .75. I was just too sick.

I suppose a sane slow taper is the way I'll go. But I sure wish someone could put me in a coma for a year and my brain would be healed. I'd take that over this suffering.

Appreciate your reply. Hang in there. Keep fighting the good fight. At least you are off. Healing HAS to start taking place at some point.

I wish you the best.

I went to med detox for the meds listed below in mar 2010. I was taken off all meds and then given 3 days of sboxone for opiate wd and 3 days of neurontin and depakote for benzo wd. I am just posting this because some people assume there is only one protocol for detox. I was off all meds in three days and sent home on no meds. I have not reinstated or taken rescue meds. I have been off all meds for about 14 months. Would never recommend this. I have lots of wd sx but am healing.

That's quite a story!  Congrats being free! I hope your healing continues and you are one day 110%

Thanks for sharing your story.