Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Has anyone tried Narcotics Anonymous meetings?

[d6...]

[d6...]

Hi all,

I'm really getting tired of sitting at home all the time. I'm still oozing emotions and my nerves are like electric shocks, however I feel like it would help me to get out of the house (and out of my brain) and go somewhere "safe" around people. I feel so isolated.

I've been to AA meetings in the past when I was trying CTs and did not find them to be particularly helpful. People there were semi-supportive, but they couldn't understand why I was still having problems at three weeks off. That was the longest I ever made it. Now I am coming up on six weeks and I need to find something to do to get out of my house other than my morning walks and trips to the grocery store ever 4-5 days.

I was thinking of going to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting, but I don't know what to expect. I'm afraid most of the folks there would be like those at AA and wonder why I was still having withdrawal symptoms at six weeks. Has anyone here been to NA? Was it a good experience? I just wish there was some sort of Benzos Anonymous type meetings but it seems like people get off benzos, suffer, and then move on. Any comments would be appreciated.

Jac in Tucson

This is me on Day 38 of a CT from 30+ mg of Valium:  :o

I decided to go into an IOP treatment program at a Addictive Diseases center. I felt it was the only way I could get therapy (group) that was related to my coming out of a drug-induced state. I did not really talk about withdrawal s/x that much. But, it was more for the emotional issues surrounding my w/d. I had a hard time coming to terms with the missed (and missing) years from the drug haze. I had to deal with the educational material on drug addiction, but I just viewed it as not totally for me. I applied it as I could, since I registered as a person with a dependency.

The center had told me that they accepted persons who had become dependent on medications (like pain patients) so there was not a big problem.

At this point, I figure I pretty much have acquired some biology that predisposes me to addiction. The most interesting thing I came to focus on is the fact that I had psychologically adapted to the way of life encourage by psychiatry to take an ativan ANY TIME I FELT DISTRESS. So, I felt there was some room at the center for me to learn about coping skills etc just like an addict would because I had possibly become psychologically dependent ( as Ashton would see it)

They all go to AA or NA there. Most people do not like NA, and even the drug people choose to go to AA, finding it better support. For me, I chose not to go,  because i did not feel it was for me.

The group is now once a week to discuss life issues. And it is good support  as I struggle to come to terms with the "real"  world and getting my life back on track.

Finally,  one woman told me she was sick for 6 months from stopping xanax and that is what drove her back to alcohol. She did not know she was in w/d. But, by and large, NO ONE understands the w/d and the s/x . Interestingly, very few of the addicts used benzos alone, more just occasional use in combo with other things. Do they know something we didn't????:sick: :sick:

As my psychiatrist pointed out, most drug treatment persons will be on psych meds, which will in some part, diminish the degree of CNS hyperactivity. Or, maybe they are just tougher than I am - having had no experience with drugs and w/d prior to my very unfortunate encounter with the psych community.  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Nuala

[32...]
I'm really getting tired of sitting at home all the time. I'm still oozing emotions and my nerves are like electric shocks, however I feel like it would help me to get out of the house (and out of my brain) and go somewhere "safe" around people. I feel so isolated.

Hi there,

I can't tell you if NA will help or not for benzo w/d. In most cases it does not.

However, I understand you stating the above quoted. You can do things, but start out in moderation.

Today at one point.. I didn't feel like doing anything. I pushed myself. I went outside and done some yard work, and it helped.

These induced fears from the benzo is overwhelming, I know.

Start out in moderation, that's your key.. do small things, even if it's sitting on your porch or whatever for a few hours, feeling the wind, nature..

Relax and take it in. I'm not being pushy.  :o But start with small things in moderation and see where that takes you.

Be well,

S#