Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hello, I am new

[an...]

Hello;

My name is Maria (Angus is my doggy's name). I have been on 1mg Lorazepam for 15 years, after my husband was diagnosed with Cancer and died. I am 63 and live in Canada. I would like to taper off, but am having a real tough time Is it better to switch to Diazepam?

[e0...]

Maria,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies.

You can switch to Valium from Ativan, as that's your personal choice.

I crossed from Klonopin to Valium, and am doing a slow taper off the Valium.

You will find plenty of support here.

Sigma.

Hello Angus/Maria.  I am sorry to read of the loss of your husband.  He must have been very young.  You have come to the right place for help with getting off the lorazepam.  Where would we be without the support and love from our furry friends!

Best,

Vertigo

Hi Maria and welcome to BB.

The decision to switch to Valium is entirely up to you.  Many of our members have successfully tapered directly from Lorazepam, but because it has such a short half life, many others opt to cross over to Valium due to its long half life and the fact that it comes in small dose pills.

Valium will cause sedation at first, but it will eventually fade as your body becomes acclimated to it.

At 1 mg Lorazepam, you are currently at the equivalent of 10 mgs Valium.  If you would like to crossover, let us know and we'll help you out with a crossover plan.  Or, if you choose to taper directly from Lorazepam, we can help you out with a plan as well.

We're glad you found us, and feel free to ask questions. :)

Hello Maria and welcome to BB. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. I tapered directly off Lorazepam but I know others who have switched over to Valium to taper off. Its a personal decision. Whatever you decide to do, we are here to support you. Let us know how we can help.

HI evryone,

Thanks for your replies. I was trying to taper off Lorazepam but have had a setback this pas couple of weeks. I have read Dr. Ashton's literature, and she says it is very difficult to get off Lorazepam. Better to switch to Valium.

I feel I'll never be able to get off this thing. It's got me really down, because I have been sleeping really badly.

any suggestions?

Maria

Hi Maria,

Welcome!..... We will help you and support you in your desire to be free of lorazepam, you may struggle along the way but don't be afraid to reach out for help. Someone on BenzoBuddies is always willing to lend a helping hand.

By remaining dedicated and focused. In the end, you're sure to be successful in becoming benzo free!

pj

Hi Maria.

Are you interested in crossing over to Valium?  Will your doctor be willing to help you with this?

We can help you with a crossover schedule if you're interested.  You can start a thread here in the substitution tapers area of the forum if you're interested http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=61.0, and someone will be along to help you out. :)

yes I am interested in switching over to Diazepam. I will see my doc in the next couple of weeks. I have been sick with Bronchitis and kind of gave up on the taper for the time being. I will have to feel better before I start again.

Dr Ashton says it's very difficult to get off Lorazepam.

Thanks for your help

Maria

Hi Maria,

Welcome to BB  :)

I hope that your bronchitis clears up soon and that you start to feel better.

We will be here to support you with your taper when you feel ready.