Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone ever use The Mood Cure book to go off a benzo?

Hi all!

I'm just curious if any of you have used the book The Mood Cure to help in going off of your Benzo?  If so, how successful were you?  What symptoms did you have?  How did you taper? 

Thank you ALL for your help, guidance, and support.  It is all appreciated in this journey.  It sure is not easy - that's for sure!  I hope if you are reading this that you are well and knowing that with each day your body is getting healthier.

Thanks ahead of time!

Lisa

May I ask who the author is for if anything  can help me with my moods while going through this then I will get it.

Frannie

Hi Lisa:

I have read the book "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross, M.A.  On page 265, she provides a brief bio of Eileen, addicted to Xanax.  Eileen is given supplements of GABA, taurine, and L-Glycine to come off Xanax.

Many sources mandate that supplemental GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier and are of ill affect in treating benzo taper withdrawals.  Also, we produce our own natural GABA but our GABA receptors have been down regulated and do not bind sufficiently with our natural GABA.  This requires the healing process in post benzo tapers. 

So while the book is interesting, not enough solid evidence to base one's recovery on.  I did purchase Now GABA and have used it several times.  But have not used it according to her protocol on page 264 (1-4 x per day in between meals).  I do take 3-6 mg of melatonin at nite though.

What are your thoughts?

Rocko

I've just read on review on Amazon and somebody talks about taking 5-HTPD which is something to be very careful about when already on drugs. They also talk about supplements which I would also not use as they can rev up our s/x. I really do believe that there are no quick fixes besides waiting it out, riding the rough waves, (by coming on here) and enjoying the windows. Which, I'm going to do now by going to bed and reading a light book that I have.

Frannie

Hi everyone!

The author is Julia Ross.  She talks about various addictions - from sugar to tobacco to benzos.  Rocko - I've actually been using some aminos that actually increase the GABA in the brain - not just in the body.  I have the NOW GABA, and it works a little.  The NOW True Calm has worked better for me.  I've also used some of the aminos that are "inhibitory" and not "excitatory" to help with symptoms.  But, I was just curious if anyone had used anything out of the book that worked.  It's soooooooo hard to ride out the waves of the bad w/d symptoms.  How do you guys manage them? 

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Lisa

[d1...]

Well...we actually consulted with Julia when we found out my husband was dependent on Ativan after only a month on it.  She pointed us to the Ashton Manual and recommended many supplements including GABA.  When none of it worked she recommended we go to the Hitt Clinic, an amino acid detox in Tijuana.  She was worried because he was suicidal on the Valium.  It was all a nightmare.  None of it worked and we were true believers....still think the world of Julia Ross and Dr. Hitt.  They are on to something in regards to alcohol dependency, depression,anxiety, etc.

It just doesn't work for benzos....the few success stories they have (not many, btw) must have been with people who wouldn't have had a problem anyway.

The Mood Cure would be the thing to do to avoid a/d's and benzos in the first place.  I've used the amino acids with great success for myself.

When I first got on Benzo Island and they recommended not taking supplements, we c/t'ed everything.....from that experience I would recommend anyone taking amino acids while in withdrawal and wanting to stop to taper them also...just as a precaution.  My husband's s/x were severe for quite awhile after stopping them all abruptly and that was at 6 months off.

puffin :smitten: