Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Heroe's Journey

[Ca...]

THE STEPS OF THE HERO'S JOURNEY

THE ORDINARY WORLD

This is the original world of the hero, which "suffers from a symbolic deficiency." The hero is lacking something, or something is taken from him.

THE CALL TO ADVENTURE

The hero is given a challenge, problem, or adventure. Often it appears as a blunder, or chance. This stage establishes the goal of the hero.

THE REFUSAL OF THE CALL

The (often) reluctant hero has to be set along the correct path. He must weigh the consequences and be excited by a stronger motivation to proceed further.

MEETING WITH THE MENTOR

The hero encounters a wise figure who prepares him for the journey. This figure (or item) gives advice, guidance, or an item, but cannot go with the hero.

CROSSING THE THRESHOLD

The hero has committed to his task, and enters the special world. Often he is met by a threshold guardian.

TESTS, ALLIES, AND ENEMIES

In the special world, the hero learns the new rules by meeting people and obtaining new information. There is often a "local watering hole" component. This is where the true characteristics of the hero are revealed.

APPROACH TO THE INNERMOST CAVE

Now our hero, and often his allies, have come to the edge of the dangerous place where the "object of the quest" is hidden. This stage often is the land of the dead.

THE SUPREME ORDEAL

The hero faces danger, often a life-or-death moment that is either physical or psychological.

REWARD, OR SEIZING THE SWORD

After surviving, our hero takes possession of the object, typically a treasure, weapon, knowledge, token, or reconciliation.

THE ROAD BACK

The hero must now deal with the consequences of their actions. They may be pursued by remaining forces. They now face the decision to return to the ordinary world.

RESURRECTION

One final test is required for the purification and rebirth of the hero. Alternatively, it may be a miraculous transformation.

RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR

The triumphant hero returns to the ordinary world bearing the elixir. Common elixirs are treasure, love, freedom, wisdom, or knowledge. A defeated hero is doomed to repeat the lesson.

I love this, I found myself trying to find the hero in me and I did in some of the steps, not all but I'm a work in progress.  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
I love this so much!  I am going to come here daily to read this ---- the end is powerful --- if defeated, they are doomed to repeat.  that is what I think about when I think about "giving up" --- I could temporarily give up but this is now my path -- either I walk it now or later.