Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

One year since the beginning of the end of my imprisonment

[fu...]

Hello all

One year ago, I filled the last prescription of Klonopin that I abused.  This is significant for me because I remember very well what was going through my head then.  The next ten days were all the proof I needed that I was completely in the grips of that drug.

I had been taking more of the medicine than my doctor knew about for a long time but was able to, in my mind, control it such that I'd have some days with extra K, some with as-prescribed, then a few without enough that I'd just gut through, counting the hours until I could get more.  However, a year ago, I'd reached the point where I was usually going four days or so without any K since I'd finished my bottle.

My pattern which I'd stumbled upon was this:  Get a 15-day supply.  The doctor thought it was better to give me half a month than a full month as I was less likely to abuse it.  What I realized though was that the local pharmacy would fill a prescription 3 days before you were supposed to be out, and nobody ever looked back to see how frequently prescriptions were being filled or, in the doc's case, written.  This meant that I could get almost an additional week per month worth of pills by always getting a refill at the earliest possible date.  I'd usually finish the bottle in 10 or 11 days, then have one or two of cold-turkey.

A year ago, I'd killed the 15 days' worth in about 8 days and therefore had more cold-turkey time than usual (remember I could refill on day 12 or 13--don't remembdr that detail).  With the long half-life of K, a day or two was bad but barely bearable; 3 days to 4 days was torture.  I specifically remember coming back from the pharmacy with the bottle 1 year ago saying, "Wow, I really f'd that up, I won't burn through this one so fast."  Then I took probably 2 1/2 days' worth of a prescribed dose, justification being "I have to make up for the days I missed to get back to normal."  I finished that bottle of 30 pills by something like the 16th so I was taking on average five a day--but, really, there were days with more than that because I was trying to ration them at the end.  I don't remember the details of how many, it's too foggy; I can however look at the calendar and reconstruct some of what must have happened.  I really went on a benzo binge though, right after telling myself never again.

My success story is that on the 18th of last year I got honest with everybody.  I'll post that story in a week or so if anybody's interested.

This post, though, is marking where I came from and almost a year later, am free of benzos, Ambien, Sonata, Lunesta, Soma, Rozeriem, Trazodone, Seroquel, Remeron, Benadryl, kava, valerian, phenibut, and whatever else I tried.  And i'm good! 

I am finding it wonderful beyond words to remember the pain, despair, and utter pointlessness of existence when all I was doing was waiting for some variation of Klonopin: for the prescription to be approved, for the doctor to call back, for the pill to "kick in" and all the accompanying fears ("What if somebody actually looks back a few months and sees what I've been doing?"  "Why don't I feel anything anymore?"  "Why don't I want to do anything if I'm supposed to be better?" "What if I lose my bottle?"...).  I don't wallow, I just observe.  Life has become a beautiful thing like I remembered it being and feared would never happen again.

So more later :-)

Thanks!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your story. I'm wondering at what point you started to feel like yourself again.

I have been attending AA meetings for support in my addiction, and reading from the AA Big Book. Your story would fit right in. Thanks! And congratulations.

I was abusing them like that but unfortunately here you can go to numerous doctors for the same thing and no one knows.  I was getting a month script every few days from different doctors and burning through the pills in 2-3 days in addition to other things......suffice to say....I couldn't keep up that rate of abuse for long and eventually imploded.

Fullofhope,

My story is so similar to yours!

I was running 2 rxs. Would still run out "too early"

When I lived in Los Angeles, I would drive to Tijuana to buy even more.

[move]As of 9-13-10 -clonazepam free![/move]

I am so happy you shared your story,

-Dan