Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Full disclosure about w/d to pdoc?

I wanted to know if anyone tapering is disclosing they're withdrawal symptoms to they're pdocs. And if so what are your experiences? I'm trying to establish an "honest relationship" with my pdoc, and trying to explain that his notes -- bipolar dos, social anxiety disorder, adhd, are actually benzo withdrwal, and that's fine whatever he wants to write, but I want my two cents (benzodiazaoine withdrawal) in there as well. Has anyone ever tried being fully honest?

Unfortunately experiences vary on this one.  I have worked my entire taper, titration, and withdrawal process through my primary care physician only, whom I have known for a good number of years.  In fact he had been scripting my Klonopin for me for a good 4 years before I started tapering.  I never went to a psychiatrist, though I would have if I needed to.  I was completely honest with the guy from start to current and he has been great the whole time.  He gives me a diagnosis of anxiety disorder NOS, which I could care less about.  I agree you certainly deserve to have your two cents in there, it's your treatment.

Draftsman

[e6...]

My original primary care physician (PCP) prescribed me the Xanax for two years that led me to get addicted. She was killed in a 1999 motor vehicle accident and my new PCP has addressed my high blood pressure (controlled by lisinopril), high cholesterol and triglycerides, and Type II diabetes. He knows nothing about my 13-1/2 year addiction to benzos, or that I quit CT on April 2. I saw him this past Tuesday and it was a very stressful event, but he's seen me now long enough that he writes my prescriptions for one year, so I don't have to deal with meds for my medical stuff until May of 2012 and hopefully -- very much hopefully -- I will be feeling "normal" again and still be benzo-free and the whole situation will be moot. After my first PCP was killed, I bought my Valium in Mexico until 9-11, when security at the border got much tighter, then from U.S. online pharmacies that sold it without an RX until the DEA cracked down, and since about 2005 from online pharmacies first in Serbia, then in South Africa, and since 2008 from a reliable online pharmacy in India.

I'd love to share my story with my current PCP, but like most doctors in the U.S. I suspect he has little to no experience in dealing with someone who's been on benzos for many, many years.

That's my experience...

And this is me as Day 31 winds down:  :o

I'm not sure what you should tell your PDoc, I guess it would depend on the relationship that you have with him. I am concerned that you have a prescription for High Blood Pressure for a year as this is a no, no. High blood pressure has to be monitored. Good Luck with your Pdoc.

Frannie

I need to get a new primary I seriously doubt I will mention anything to him about the benzos.

I can see it now:

Me- So, doc, I am currently going through benzo withdrawal.

Doc- Oh really? When was your last dose?

Me- Six months ago.

Doc- That's impossible! Withdrawal can't last more than a few weeks.

Me- I can assure you that it is not only possible, but common.

Doc- Oh, so I spent 8 years in med school and you are going to tell ME you know what's wrong with you? )

Me- Tell you what doc. You can take your medical degree and prescription pad and shove it somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Have a nice day!