Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Long term Benzo use...

Does it make a difference if you have taken a Benzo for one year or twenty years? What is "Long term"? I guess I was just wondering if it made the withdrawl process harder if you have taken the medicine longer.

Hi Skippy:

It certainly does not help if one has taken a benzo for 19 years like I did, versus someone who has only taken a benzo for say 12 months.  But there is so much variability from person to person it's hard to come to a generalized conclusion about long-term use.  I've seen situations where my withdrawals are better than some who were on for only 12 months.  Then again, there are situations where my withdrawals are worse than others.  I think it's fair to say that my withdrawals are lasting longer as a result of long-term use.  However,  I am definitely very happy and encouraged with my overall progress, and I am so glad I decided to get off Klonopin.  I would have never expected that my anxiety would be better off the benzo than on it, but that's what I am experiencing in a general sense.

Draftsman

I think in general it's harder the longer you are on but I don't have any scientific basis for that belief.  I was on one benzo or another for nearly 20 years, took 6 months to taper off 3 mg lorazepam and another 6-7 months to heal.  However, I've certainly read posts from members who were on for just a few years and were still healing after a year of being free.  You will read over and over that it varies between individuals and that really is true, Skippy.  Your taper won't be like anyone else's, though there will be many similarities, of course.

[2b...]

I echo what Beeper said. Everyone's experience is different. I'm in a CT from roughly 30 mg. Valium use (it varied slightly depending on how my day was going) for 11-1/2 years and prior to that Xanax for two years. Since I began my CT on April 2, I've been here every day reading the comments of others and trying to use what I read to help guide me through this insanity. I've seen so many different experiences that I really do believe it all depends on each individual's experience and their environment, including things like family or spousal support. When I CT'd on April 2, I thought I'd be through the worst of it within a month or so, but five weeks out I'm still struggling. I get frustrated that I'm not healing as fast as I'd like, but I have to stop and think sometimes that I used benzos for 13-1/2 years, so for me to expect a rapid recovery is kind of silly. So now, I just day it day by day, one day at a time. Each day is different, with its own set of challenges. It really seems like no two days have been the same, yet I've done nothing much more than go for walks and watch TV.

It's helped being able to post comments and share my thoughts with others who are going through or have gone through what I'm doing right now. I don't feel so alone. Oh, okay, I'm feeling kind of jittery so I'm going to log off and go do some couch time until this passes. Hang in there. If I can do this, anyone can!

Jac in Tucson

This is me on Day 32:  :idiot:

I was on Ativan for over twenty years so doing a slow taper. I don't know if my long time use makes me feel any worse than others but I'm encouraged by Draftsman's post. Making a cut today and going to try and stay positive. It's so good that we can post on BB as it would seem like we all have the same fears and all have symptoms but I like to read the positive posts, the people who are off and know that I can do it also.

Frannie