Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How to approach benzo subject with others?

[ki...]

A friend of a relative is joking about xanax on facebook. Like how everyone who has kids should have them in supply.

How do you approach the subject without appearing like a neurotic alarmist? I feel I should say something, but is it my place?

This person is fairly young, and I'd hate to see them end up here!!

I just don't know where the line is anymore...and am afraid to cross it.

Thanks

I never miss an opportunity to educate people of the dangers of these drugs.  I don't really care what they think of me because if I can save just one person from walking in my shoes, I'm going to give it a shot.  If I share my experience, I might not be able to stop someone from taking the drug, but when it comes time for them to get off of it, I might be able to let them know how to taper, not cold turkey like I did. 

The trouble with attempting to educate people while you're still suffering is how sensitive you are, and the possibility that doing this will make you feel worse.  It might be better to wait until you're a little stronger.

I never miss an opportunity to educate people of the dangers of these drugs.  I don't really care what they think of me because if I can save just one person from walking in my shoes, I'm going to give it a shot.  If I share my experience, I might not be able to stop someone from taking the drug, but when it comes time for them to get off of it, I might be able to let them know how to taper, not cold turkey like I did.  

The trouble with attempting to educate people while you're still suffering is how sensitive you are, and the possibility that doing this will make you feel worse.  It might be better to wait until you're a little stronger.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've even posted my story on a general community forum and gotten some really good responses, some were curious and asked questions and I was more than happy to answer.  ;)

Unfortunately I have found the following is true-

You can lead a horse to water but not make it drink

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least

Advice is least heeded when most needed

I rest my case!

I think letting them know lots of people you know went through withdrawls is a good way to go about it..that way they can't think maybe just you had a hard time. It's harder to come up with excuses when many are involved.

Also don't beat them over the head with it as they will tune it out..as my family and friends have.

Thanks everyone...

I think I'll hold my tongue until I'm healed. Right know I feel like a neurotic alarmist  :D

I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity when I am healed (Unfortunately). Everyone close to me knows, so that's a start.

:smitten:

• 3 weeks later...
As my mom always said "ignorance is bliss"...  They would never understand.  The only ones that do first hand are the ones who have experienced it.  Think of this.... The astronauts come back from landing on the moon, they explain the elation of their experience in depth, we are fascinated in hearing it... but do we truly understand their experience... no we could never..  How could we even emotionally/spiritually/mentally understand standing on the moon and looking at earth.  That's what each bbs experiences from these drugs, tolerance wds and protracted wds... no one can understand.  I, as a spouse who went thru taking the benzo drug understands the experience my husband is going through... could I have ever if I had not experienced it... NO.  As other bbs posted... wait till your healed from it... then go for it; try like the astronauts... though... the only ones who will get it, ones who need help at that point who are on it.. or truly understand...  Always, Pattylu

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I have become so keenly aware to how many drug references there are in movies today.  So many jokes and light hearted comments about something so dangerous.  No wonder people don't take it seriously.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I just came across it and wanted to say thanks - your words and advice has been helpful as I have wondered how to deal with this myself.  Thanks again!

:)

jrvmc,

Funny...that is (almost) precisely what I do.  Whenever I meet someone and learn they are taking a benzo, I simply jot down the benzobuddies web address and tell them to go to the website and just start reading.