Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hyperventilation = Anxiety

For many months on BB I have been trying to find out if anybody's anxiety is like mine but I could never think of the right word to describe what was happening to me.  I would say I had "rapid chest breathing" or something like that...but now I know that the correct word is hyperventilating - where you breathe fast through your mouth, the mouth gets very dry, chapped lips, etc. 

Does anyone have anxiety like this?  Does it make you nauseous after hours and hours?  I have never seen anyone describe it that way and so I am wondering if this is a normal type of w/d anxiety or is this something more..... I know I am worrying but just want to know if I am "normal" for what I am going through.  Thank you all

Hoping2BFree

That is a very common manifestation of anxiety and probably one that is most treatable.  I used to hyperventilate from anxiety but haven't really had that issue since I started breathing exercises.  Here is a link provided by Beeper http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=7398.0

Don't worry, it is nothing serious and you will never stop breathing although it does feel like it.  Hyperventilating attacks are one of those things that feed into themselves. The quicker you breathe, the more you panic about your breathing.. which in turn makes the breathing even quicker and thus it keeps spiraling.  

Always remember to breathe with your belly not just your upper chest.  Lengthen exhalation for relaxation.. lengthen inhalation for stimulation.  Try breathing in for 3 seconds and without holding your breath exhale for about 6 seconds through pursed lips. As you do that.. let your shoulders relax.  Breathing exercises take practice, and it is best to practice them when you are feeling normal so you can better utilize them when you feel panicky.

Thank you Crono - I feel like I have tried ALL kinds of breathing exercises to no avail, but I will give your recommendation a try.  Thanks!