Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How many of you out there were able to work while withdrawing from benzos

I've started my taper from what was 5mg of clonazepam, right now I am down to 4.25mg. I started the taper in March 2011.  I have noticed quite a bit of anxiety during the day, and just throwing out some questions to everyone.  I just want to get some feedback from people.  Have many of you been able to work while coming off the benzos?  I am experiencing severe depression that I know is linked to this high dose of clonazepam, and I cannot fathom right now being able to work. 

[c5...]

Hi,

When I was tapering from Klonopin at those doses. I was able to work and attend college. Of course I titrated with water, and it was slowly. I couldn't really tell differences between cuts at that dose. I can still do a lot at the dose I'm at now, but then I seemed more relaxed. The more I tapered the Klonopin... the sicker I got, it was around 2.25mg, but I started tapering too fast, that was my problem. I'm not saying you will get sicker. The reason I c/o to Valium. I had to. However, I did maintain my life pretty well at those doses. I moved 2 times as well. If it gets too rough, you may consider titration. I'm just going by my experience. Of course I had been on the Klonopin since 2003. Some find the lower they get, the better they feel. It's different for everyone.

S#

[56...]

My last day of work after nearly seven years with a non-profit behavioral health agency that's being killed by Medicaid cuts was Friday, April 2. I was taking 30 mg. or so of Valium, sometimes more if it was stressful at work. I've tried tapering down several times and it just didn't work for me, so I did what is not recommended and I went CT on April 2. Yes, I jumped out of an airplane without a parachute and it has and remains hell, but every day seems a little less intense.

Fortunately, I had some savings, plus I received one month's vacation time that carried me through April, and I was approved for Unemployment effective Monday, May 9. So, I have six months of unemployment coming (and more if the federal 99-week program is still in place at the end of October). I simply could not have done any of this while working and I admire you for doing so. I'm not familiar with Klonopin doses, but it seems like you are making a bit cut. When I tapered on Valium I'd do it by 1.25 mg. at a time (one quarter of a 5 mg. pill) every few weeks. I was able to work while doing that, but every time I'd go off (once at 2.5 mg. a day, another time at 7.5 mg.) it was either when I was between jobs or had taken 3-4 weeks of vacation.

There's just no way I could hold a job right now. Some days it's all I can do to just make it through a day. I'm 31 days out now, so for me there is no going back. Hang in there with your tapering and, seriously, check what others have done regarding the amount to cut. It just seems like you are making big cuts.

Good luck!

When tapering the whole mg's I could work. Below 1mg no way could I hold a job, and it would probably kick up a boatload of symptoms.

Plenty of people work while tapering the whole time, others can't. I'm not one who can.

I take for granted being able to set my own schedule and being able to sleep pretty much as long as I want. If I had to get up early in the morning, make a string of appointments, deal with people, etc., I SERIOUSLY doubt if I could do it.

On the other hand, when I do push myself to do things sometimes it works out for the better.

I applaud those of you who seem to hold so many things together while in WD.

I interviewed and got a job while tapering, then worked through the rest of the tapers and am at 9 months.

Fortunately, I have managed to work with no catastrophic interruptions.  I did miss about 1.5 weeks when I cut my lexapro dosage in half last October, but I was able to return to work after I reinstated the Lexapro.  No work missed since.

Draftsman

I was able to return to work three weeks after my cold turkey, and I'm grateful I could.  It was difficult, but I know the distraction helped me get through the months of withdrawal. 

I'm sure difficult is an understatement Pam.  Very impressive none the less.....

Draftsman

The horror of it all is fading Draftsman, but the gratitude remains.

I was able to return to work three weeks after my cold turkey, and I'm grateful I could.  It was difficult, but I know the distraction helped me get through the months of withdrawal. 

3 weeks after a 6mg Klonopin c/t? You're my personal hero!!

[56...]

Draftsman, I agree, Pamster definitely gets hero status in my book. I'm at 31 days and if I had to work the only way could do it if I worked as a mattress tester in a nice quiet research lab somewhere. Unfortunately, I'm out of work so when I feel up to the task I get to go through the whole horrible process of looking for a job, interviewing, starting a new routine, etc. Right now I am just thankful that I have six months of unemployment beginning on Monday, May 9th!

You rock, Pamster!

Me on Day 31:  :-[

I w/d from 10 years of 4 mg of xanax a day over a years period.  I look back and marvel that not only did I work full time in a small office without anyone knowing about my w/d, I took care of my dad while he was dying of cancer, AND got involved in two hobbies that I became so good at I as winning awards....(!)  I hope that doesn't sound like bragging.  I think partly I was able to do that because since my dad was sick, people gave me a break and if I felt like just vegging or not talking, people thought that was the reason and gave me a pass.  Good luck to you.

p.s.  I stupidly reinstated later thinking I could handle it, but no, and now I'm going threw w/d again.  It still sucks terribly. But one thing I know now, is that this won't kill me (hopefully), and if I can put on a happy face, no one will know what I'm going through. But that's just what works for me....

I have had to work through all of my w/d.  I have a pretty high up position in a stressful job.  While tapering off K I also interviewed for a high position during my worst symptoms. No kidding.....during one interview i was totally zoned out and had to ask for the question to be repeated. 

I work best in the morning as this is when I take my highest dose of phenobarb.  By the afternoon the brain fog starts to settle in.  My boss knows what I am going through and has been very supportive.  I don't schedule meetings after lunch and that has helped me so much. Oh....I found out about 3 weeks ago that I got the job!

Hang in there.....My w/d symptoms are still there but are s bit better.  Looking forward to the end of this nightmare :)