Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can't seem to get completely off the Benzo's

I have been weaning myself down from 1.5mgs of xanax daily. I am currently stuck at .5 mgs. I am always so anxious when it's time to take my xanax, and I am scared to stop taking them and having a panic attack or just being very anxious. I feel like I have completed a big step in getting down from the 1.5 to the .5 daily. Don't know if I can get completely off of them. I am upset with myself for not following through, but I am listening to my body and it's telling me not to quit and to just take the .25 morning and night. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone else not able to quit all the way?

My suggestion to you would be to switch over to valium and taper from there.  Or maybe you could try Klonopin. I was on xanax for 20+ years and with it's short half life I found it very hard to taper directly from.  Hope that helps.

[1d...]

I have been weaning myself down from 1.5mgs of xanax daily. I am currently stuck at .5 mgs. I am always so anxious when it's time to take my xanax, and I am scared to stop taking them and having a panic attack or just being very anxious. I feel like I have completed a big step in getting down from the 1.5 to the .5 daily. Don't know if I can get completely off of them. I am upset with myself for not following through, but I am listening to my body and it's telling me not to quit and to just take the .25 morning and night. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone else not able to quit all the way?

Congrats on decreasing the dose as far as you have!

I came to a place at 30mg of Valium. I thought I couldn't lower it anymore, but I did... there's been waves, windows, and everything else in between.

BUT I did it. I listen to my body, and it tells me I can do it! What you're listening to is the Benzo itself... telling you, "You can't get off!" But you can! When we stumble upon a mg that we find we "Think" we can't get any lower conquering the Benzo Beast... the pill is a liar, and you can do it!

In withdrawal one finds they have mixed signals... which is what I call it.

In short- the body is at war and the pill is a liar.

You may find that you will feel even better and congrat yourself more, once you lower your dosage again from the .5 a day.

You will get there, and so will everyone else.

Don't give the Xanax too much power, where the power isn't due. Easier said than done.. I know.

But you can do it!

You could switch to Valium or Klonopin, but that's your decision. If you're not titrating you could also try that.

S#

Mary,

S# gave you some great advice!

Defeat the benzo devil now..... or he will come back more determined and stronger than ever..... and keep you in his grasp..... until your only choice will be to surrender your freedom to him!  

pj