Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Last 25 Percent of Taper

[Mi...]

Hello Everyone!

I am at my last 25 percent of my taper now!  Yes!  I am at 1 mg lorazepam (0.25 6 am; 0.375 2 pm; 0.375 10 pm).  My  next cut will be 0.125 so the dose will be 0.25 6 am; 0.25 2 pm; 0.375 10 pm, for a total of 0.875 mg.  With each and every cut, especially when it is over 10 percent, I get really worried that I may be cutting too fast!  I felt pretty bad for about 4-5 days, but feel pretty good now, except fibro pain.  I am on Day 8 of the cut, with maybe another one in 2 more days.  

My plans are to dry cut 0.125 mg with every cut, and hope that that is the way to go cause I don't want to drag this on forever!  This will take 3 months, a I may have to rethink this at the end, but I think that this cut is the right thing to do right now and the next cut for sure.  

Just wanting everyone's opinion and reassurance that I am on the right track still!  It's because I am scared again, and have the benzo-brain working for me.   :-\ I am wondering how everyone felt when they were where I am at?  

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement.  

Midwest :smitten:

Hi, MIdwest.

I tapered off lorazepam exactly as you are doing, right down to the 2 weeks between cuts.  When I got to .25mg/day, I slowed further to see if symptoms would lessen but went ahead and cut after 3 additional days made no difference.  By that time, I was just eager to get that stage over with.  As far as I can see, you are doing this "right" for you.  :thumbsup:

Hi Beeper:

Thank you for the vote of confidence!  I just get really fearful when I need to make a cut, because I don't want to have a bunch of withdrawal symptoms that don't go away!  I have enough problems, lol!  Don't need anymore, that's what I think!

I will keep everyone posted!

Thank you :smitten:

midwest

Hi Midwest:

Congrats on your progress so far.  Your dry-cut taper is also similar to mine and your taper rate looks just fine.  Different cuts can bring on different symptoms at different levels of severity.  The variability in symptoms is part of what makes the process more anxiety provoking.  It eventually levels out with time.  Good luck with it.

Draftsman

Thank you Draftsman!  I am figuring that I may be able to go down another 0.125 mg tomorrow, as it has been 10 days.  I am a 1.0 mg now.  That would mean 0.25 6 am; 0.25 2 pm; 0.375 10 pm, for a total of 0.875.  I am always scared to taper!  I have done wonderful so far, so I don't know why I am so scared! 

I know I will be okay, especially because of everyone's support who has been through it, and are going through it! 

I wondered about some input on changing the dose from 3 times per day to 2 times per day.   Is that a good idea, and how would I go about doing this, if it was a good idea?  As I get lower and lower it would be nice to just cut the dose in half I think, but I want the least discomfort, of course.  I am taking lorazepam.

Right now I am taking 0.250 6 am; 0.375 2 pm; 0.375 10 pm, for a total of 1.0 mg.  I think I will drop another 0.125 today, making the dose 0.250 6 am; 0.250 2 pm; and 0.375 10 pm, for a total of 0.875 mg.

It would be nice to take it at 9 or 10 am; and 9 or 10 pm, but is that a dumb idea.  The half life is 12-15 hours now.  

If I changed to 2x per day, with the interdosing be worse?  I don't have that too much now, but I have to wake up at 6 am for that dose (I always wake up for some reason, too).  

Thank you everyone for your input!  And for your encouragement!  I can do this, yes I can!

At one time I was splitting my lorzepam dose up so I could take it 5x/day due to interdose withdrawals.  Maybe I was a fast metabolizer and you are a slow one, in which case you could be okay dosing 2x/day.  I didn't get to that point until I was at .125mg 3x/day and dropped the middle dose.  I'm afraid I don't know how to advise you to shift to 2x/day other than to make the shift slowly and probably shift the time of the remaining two doses to be about 12 hours apart.

At one time I was splitting my lorzepam dose up so I could take it 5x/day due to interdose withdrawals.  Maybe I was a fast metabolizer and you are a slow one, in which case you could be okay dosing 2x/day.  I didn't get to that point until I was at .125mg 3x/day and dropped the middle dose.  I'm afraid I don't know how to advise you to shift to 2x/day other than to make the shift slowly and probably shift the time of the remaining two doses to be about 12 hours apart.

Thank you Beeper!  5 times a day would be very hard to dose!  I don't know if I am a fast or slow metabolizer, lol!  I don't know how to shift it either, except for what you are saying, when I drop a dose, when I am at 0.125 mg 3 times per day and ready to drop a dose!  I don't want to mess up anything, either.  It's so hard to know what to do!  I want it easy, but I have to remember, this isn't easy!  But it is so worth it.  

Take care.

Thank you again.

Three doses a day works for you so stick with it! It's easy to second guess ourselves because we're each different and this is a painful process.

I'm tapering off klonopin, which has a longer half life, and I dose twice a day. I drop dose once a week. I keep notes so that I can anticipate my withdrawal pattern each time. That helps me make minor adjustments for a smoother tapering process. Again, stick with what you know works! Nice job!

Thank you Yram for your encouragement.  It does make sense to stick with what you know!  And my body knows 3 doses per day!  I am glad that you are doing so well on your taper.  I keep notes also!  I think it helps so we can remember.  Otherwise my benzo brain forgets!

[9a...]

Midwest,

It sounds like you're doing good so far. I would cut at the rate you feel fine with.

I wouldn't wait for an anvil to fall, as some people can get through this with little withdrawal.

S#

Thank you Sigma for your encouragement.  

Today is the day to go down another dose. I think I will stick with my taper. Currently I am at 0.875 mg per day of lorazepam, 0.25 6 am; 0.25 2 pm; 0.375 10 pm.

My new taper will reduce 0.125 mgs per day, with the schedule as 0.25 6 am; 0.25 2 pm; 0.25 10 pm! I am so excited about this next taper! 1/2 tablet (0.5 mg tablet) per dose per day!

Midwest

I was going to taper another dose last night, going from 0.875 mg to 0.75 mg 3 times per day, but the cut was about 14 percent and I was AFRAID to cut it for some reason.  Had anxiety about it!  I don' know why.  I was brave when it was close to 10 percent, but when it's below 10 percent......  And I know others have cut like this, and they did well, so I know I can, too!  I don't want to go down 10 percent per cut because it will take FOREVER that way.  I just want to do what is best with the least pain!

I just need some encouragement this morning! So I can do it tonight.  I figured if you tapered .01 mg everyday, that would be about .125 mg every 13 days or so, so that would be about the same rate as water titrating. 

What does everyone else think? 

[9a...]

Midwest,

I think you're doing well.

Yes, that would be about correct.

Go at a rate that you can tolerate.

You can always slow it down or speed it up.

Tell us how everything goes.

S#

Thank you Sigma!

I still haven't tapered!  So it's okay to cut .125 off my 0.875 mg dose, even though it is 14 percent, and the next will be higher and higher!  I am a chicken!  I was even thinking of a water taper with 1 mg per day cut!  I was so ready, then got scared!

Midwest  :smitten:

The lower you get in dose, the larger your cuts will seem, this is because you're getting so low.  10% is a guideline of course, but not everyone can keep to it, there has to be some wiggle room.  You'll get to a point where you're so low, you won't even be able to cut what you've been cutting to try not to worry and just go with it.  You've been doing a smart, slow taper, so just keep it up and hope for the best.  Don't let the fear and indecision make you feel worse, okay?

The lower you get in dose, the larger your cuts will seem, this is because you're getting so low.  10% is a guideline of course, but not everyone can keep to it, there has to be some wiggle room.  You'll get to a point where you're so low, you won't even be able to cut what you've been cutting to try not to worry and just go with it.  You've been doing a smart, slow taper, so just keep it up and hope for the best.  Don't let the fear and indecision make you feel worse, okay?

Thank you Pamster :hug:

Yes, I am feeling worse because of the indecision.  I thought that cutting 0.125 mg per taper until the end was going to be all right.  That would mean cuts from 0.875 to 0.75 to 0.625 to 0.50 to 0.375 to 0.250 to 0.125.  I thought I would maybe cut lower before I jumped, like to 0.0625 or 0.0325, but was going to see at the end.  

I know many others have gone this route.   I don't know why I am suddenly having such anxiety over it!   :tickedoff:

And the water taper of 0.01 mg per day is the same rate every 12 to 13 days as the 0.125 mg taper, so to me it seems the same!  

Thank you again!

Tapers need to be flexible, you can slow them down or speed them up depending on life events and how you're feeling.  I know you must be frustrated, I've seen many people harbor a lot of resentment and anger, which of course makes them feel worse.  I can't blame anyone for what happened to me, so I'm sure it's worse to feel as you do.

Thank you Pamster.  I am going to try and taper tonight to 0.75 mg.  We shall see what happens.  It's been 12 days so far.  I don't want to drag this on forever.  After that taper, I will revisit the water titration and see if that is something that I want to do!  It would make me feel good to be going down  little bit every few days.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Hello My Dear Friends:

I have started a new blog.  I don't know how to link this page yet to the new blog, but I am trying to find out.  My new blog is

Midwest's Lorazepam Taper

I will post a reply if I can figure it out!

See you at my new blog!

Hello My Dear Friends:

I have started a new blog.  I don't know how to link this page yet to the new blog, but I am trying to find out.  My new blog is

Midwest's Lorazepam Taper

I will post a reply if I can figure it out!

See you at my new blog!

Here is the link to Midwest's new blog.  ;)  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=31761.0