Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Stuck In A Rut? Sometimes Joy Takes A Little Practice

[Fi...]

"Stuck In A Rut? Sometimes Joy Takes A Little Practice"

June 29, 20215:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/06/29/1010319240/stuck-in-a-rut-sometimes-joy-takes-a-little-practice

On a personal note: Now that my doggie "invisible fence" is operational, I'm finding it pleasurable to go pick up my daughter's dogs and bringing them to my mini-farm daily. My daughter and son-in-law work during the day and their back yard is torn up and under construction for the installation of a new swimming pool so the dogs can't go in & out of their house as they are accustomed. It brings me joy that I am contributing to the dogs' & my family's well being. Also the dogs are well trained service/companion dogs so they give back to me in this process. Best Wishes to All! :)

• 2 months later...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/06/29/1010319240/stuck-in-a-rut-sometimes-joy-takes-a-little-practice

On a personal note: Now that my doggie "invisible fence" is operational, I'm finding it pleasurable to go pick up my daughter's dogs and bringing them to my mini-farm daily. My daughter and son-in-law work during the day and their back yard is torn up and under construction for the installation of a new swimming pool so the dogs can't go in & out of their house as they are accustomed. It brings me joy that I am contributing to the dogs' & my family's well being. Also the dogs are well trained service/companion dogs so they give back to me in this process. Best Wishes to All! :)

I am finding joy in new plants.

For a month I've been watching something called "pinecone ginger" which sprung up in my yard.

NPR has some good programs :)

I am finding joy in new plants.

For a month I've been watching something called "pinecone ginger" which sprung up in my yard.

NPR has some good programs :)

That appears to be a great and joyous activity. Two people I know, one Chinese and the other Mongolian, recommended ginger to treat my osteoarthritis. I haven't really given it a good tryout. 

I just viewed some images of "pinecone ginger" and they are a lovely looking plant. I believe it will grow where I now live too. My mother, grandmother & great-grandmother were avid gardeners & learned many of the nutritional and medicinal values of such plants from their ancestors. I wish I enjoyed gardening more. It's not that I don't enjoy gardens but, I very much dislike weeding them. I do employ a gardener and she tends the beds of plants that were here when I purchased this property. The previous owner belonged to the local garden club and was described to me as a certified master gardener. I don't know the identity of most of the plants which she cultivated but, I find them to be very attractive and they mostly have nice fragrances. The bees and butterflies enjoy them too. 

I also read this article about Zingiber zerumbet (Pinecone Ginger) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6924210/

I'm happy to hear you have this joyous activity in your life. :) Sincere Best Wishes!