Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

? about sleep and anxiety

For anyone that is getting sleep..................Does anyone wake up and feel horrible, but then an hour into the day start to feel alright???  When I wake up I don't know how to describe the feeling, I would say it falls near depression, but it is definitely not a good feeling at all, and I'm wondering if it will ever go away??

Also about anxiety???  I had a anxiety disorder before I was on Benzo's.  Is it safe to say that I will probably face this anxiety disorder for the rest of my life, and it isn't the benzo's that's actually causing the anxiety I still have???

I wake up every day with anxiety, tinnitus, burning skin and deep depression.  If I fall asleep in the day the same thing happens, even if I just doze off for 15 minutes.  I try not to nap for that reason except when you get very little restful sleep at night it is sometimes hard to stay awake.  Sometimes it lessens up after an hour or two but after a cut it seems to hang on.  I have had very few windows since I dropped down to 1.25 mgs so I have some kind of symptom all the time anyway.  But the mornings are the worst.

Donna

Yes, I wake up almost every morning with bad anxiety and a heavier depression.  It does seem like it lessens about an hour or two after I start getting up and move around.  I believe some of it has to deal with our blood sugar levels being lower.  I read that those in withdrawal (and bad anxiety in general) should try their best to keep their blood sugar levels normal throughout the day (we obviously don't eat in our sleep, so that could be why there is a crash feeling in the mornings).  I can't really eat anything for the first hour I get up... but then I can force down some toast and milk. Usually start feeling a little better about 30 minutes to an hour after that.  Could be the placebo effect or perhaps just time itself... but that is something to think about.

My experience is similar but different.

I don't have much of a problem sleeping. The sleep isn't always great, but I always get enough of it. Lately I don't feel anxious or depressed when I wake up but I hate, hate, HATE the thought of getting out of bed. The bed feels REALLY good and when I first wake up it's like I want to stay in bed so I don't have to face the world. 30 minutes after I get out of bed I usually feel even better than I did when I was in bed, but there is something that makes me want to stay there when it feels so comfortable.

Keep in mind that I am doing ok the past couple of weeks. I don't feel like my old self but my symptoms aren't raging like they were a couple of months ago.

[0f...]

I go to sleep relatively easy at night but about 3-4 hours after I go to sleep I wake up with all sorts of anxiety and emotions just overpowering me and the rest of the night I just lay there and drift in and out of sleep. I wake up in the morning and just feel drained. The first week or so into my CT I slept so well. I'd never really slept well on Valium and even though it was still very much in my system, for some reason just knowing I wasn't popping pills all day long made me feel good and I slept great. But then as the Valium left my system, I began to feel like crap and that's still going on. Oh, well, one day (or night) at a time...

This is still me on Day 26:  :o

I have read everyone's comments and I can relate because I experienced these symptoms as well. Feelings fear, anxiety and doom right after awakening is quite normal with benzo wd. I still have it but not nearly as severe!! These drugs are devils friends, because only the devil could have invented them. Anyhow, you will survive just hang on and keep the faith! It is a very slow process!

Yah it's like a feeling of dread when I wake up.

I was boo-hooing to my hubby about that yesterday. How I should be glad that I can eat breakfast again, but is it too much to ask, that I enjoy eating it too?

My acupuncturist wonders if it is the cortisone that surges when you wake up and gradually lessens as the day goes on to be replaced by melatonin in your body. One wakes you up and the other puts you to sleep.

Not much you can do about that.

The first thing I do when I get up is open the blinds and turn on lights. The more light, the better!

I've read that the anxiety you feel after benzo anxiety is much easier to deal with. Some even find it goes away because they don't worry about it anymore.

Have you read Claire Weekes? Her book Hope and Help for your Nerves, has really helped my benzo anxiety.

I like to say, "This too shall pass"... and it does.

-Tanya