Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi, I'm new, looking for help on a schedule, Zanex taper w/ Valium Substitute

[St...]

Hello everyone , my name is Noelle. I'm new and I'm excited I found this forum, I am hopeful to find some support and advice here.

I have no one else to turn to. I am registered on another board as well and was referred here as well in hopes I'll find more help on creating a tapering schedule. 

I have been taking a benzo ( Zanex) for anxiety and panic disorder for over 5 years. I got started on taking this kind of medication after experiencing trauma that left me socially paranoid, I sought out counseling and was put on a mild dose at that time. Since then I've had to continually increase my dose due to the tolerance factor and I am dependent on them.

I am currently on a prescribed dose of 3 mg per day for the past year. On a typical day, I break up my first 1 mg into pieces to get through from morning to early evening, this is hard and I don't always succeed at it,  this is also when I'm in the most discomfort. Early evening, I take 2 milligrams at once, this is the only way I will sleep at night.

My body has built up tolerance (again) and so I'm having what I call mini withdrawls every day, sometimes I've had to take more than my prescribed dose in order to function even half way normal, I try to avoid doing this at all measures but there have been times I felt I had no choice because my body felt so ill.  I refuse to ask my Doctor to increase my dose again because I know that at some point, I'm just going to be in the same situation that I'm in now so for over a year I have stayed on this dose and I just cope with these mini withdrawl spells. It's horrible, I'm ready to stop the insanity, I've finally realized it is insane, the torture I'm putting myself through, wake up call. I need help.

I've made the decision to begin a wean off method. This is a huge step for me as I've relied on my zanex for so long to cope with every day life.  The method I've chosen is the ashton method, my Doctor is supporting me with this method.

I have looked at the schedules for the ashton method , the closest schedule to my dose is a 4mg zanex equivalent to 80 mg Valium. I am planning on using this as my guide to make up my own schedule based on my current dose. My Doctor wants me to provide him with a copy of it as soon as possible. We plan to work on a schedule and depending on how I'm feeling he can adjust it as I need.

I will make the schedule equiv to 60 mg per day of Valium, which is equiv to 3mg zanex.  I am in the beginning stage of making my schedule now, but I am stuck on stage 6 which is when you begin tapering down in two week intervals by 5 milligrams in the Valium equivalency. I'm not good at adding up the milligrams to equate....I'm pretty stuck here, it's not adding up for me.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how I can make up an equivalent schedule just to start me out with? I'm so lost right now on how to even begin this, also if anyone has any tips, advice on this method I would so greatly appreciate it.  I am so nervous and anxious to get started but also I'm terrified on how this is going to work out. 

So here I am, I am seeking support and I am here to be a supporter as well 

Thank you  :)

Your story is indeed a familiar one, Striving4Life.  Just about everyone here was put on a benzo for a good reason and they worked really well for a while but you are right, eventually you have to keep increasing your dose or get off of them.  It sounds like you are experiencing tolerance withdrawal which I know well, having been in that state myself when I started tapering off lorazepam.  I decided to taper directly off (partly because my doc would not support my using The Ashton Method) and got off 3mg/day over a 6 month period.  It was really hard some days but so worth it in the end.

To make up a crossover schedule using an example in The Ashton Manual, you can use Schedule 8 for lorazepam but substitute twice as much diazepam for every .5mg drop of Xanax.  In other words, where the schedule shows replacing .5mg lorazepam with 5mg diazepam, you would replace .5mg Xanax with 10mg diazepam.  You could make up a chart for yourself showing the times and amounts of each of your doses and make a substitution for .5mg Xanax every 10-14 days.  Diazepam takes a while to build up in your system which is why you want to allow sufficient time between substitutions.  Hope this helps.

[98...]
I am currently on a prescribed dose of 3 mg per day for the past year. On a typical day, I break up my first 1 mg into pieces to get through from morning to early evening, this is hard and I don't always succeed at it,  this is also when I'm in the most discomfort. Early evening, I take 2 milligrams at once, this is the only way I will sleep at night.

So you will need to start at 30mg of Valium. What I'm misunderstanding is this-

I have looked at the schedules for the ashton method , the closest schedule to my dose is a 4mg zanex equivalent to 80 mg Valium. I am planning on using this as my guide to make up my own schedule based on my current dose. My Doctor wants me to provide him with a copy of it as soon as possible. We plan to work on a schedule and depending on how I'm feeling he can adjust it as I need.

Basically what you do is start the Schedule at 40mg or 30mg of Valium, and by Ashton's guidelines.. go from there.

You say that you are taking 2mg of Xanax at night together to sleep. Valium is more sedating.. so it wouldn't hurt to spread out the dose anyway.

I see no reason to take 40mg of Valium all at once.. once you start crossing over.. you will see the difference. Valium has a longer 1/2 life than that of Xanax by far, as you know.. so you could easily spread the doses out more, make sense?

I will make the schedule equiv to 60 mg per day of Valium, which is equiv to 3mg zanex.  I am in the beginning stage of making my schedule now, but I am stuck on stage 6 which is when you begin tapering down in two week intervals by 5 milligrams in the Valium equivalency. I'm not good at adding up the milligrams to equate....I'm pretty stuck here, it's not adding up for me.

Stage 6

(1-2 weeks) alprazolam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg alprazolam 0.25mg

diazepam 10mg alprazolam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg diazepam 20mg

75mg

Is it the 0.25mg that is stumping you?

I know you will not be taking 75mg equiv. But you said you're using the 4mg Sched. from X to V.

1mg Xanax = 20mg of Valium

0.75mg Xanax = 15mg of Valium

0.5mg Xanax = 10mg of Valium

0.25mg of Xanax = 5mg of Valium

Lower-

0.125mg of Xanax = 2.5mg of Valium

I see what you're trying to do with your Schedule, but first you need to do is spread out your doses within the day of Xanax, and then start crossing to Valium.

Again, when you start to cross over.. you shouldn't have Inter-dose withdrawal or have trouble sleeping, because Valium is more sedating.. so I've seen. I crossed from Klonopin to Valium, in my experience it was.

So, are you going to spread your doses out?

Glad your doctor is supporting you on the Schedule.

S#

[98...]

Or yes, you can do what Beeper said as well.

To make up a crossover schedule using an example in The Ashton Manual, you can use Schedule 8 for lorazepam but substitute twice as much diazepam for every .5mg drop of Xanax.  In other words, where the schedule shows replacing .5mg lorazepam with 5mg diazepam, you would replace .5mg Xanax with 10mg diazepam.

Hi yall ‘

I thought I would provide you with my schedule that I made up yesterday just to give you an idea.

This is what I have so far , it’s for the first 3 weeks only -  week 4 and 5 are merely the same.  

Stage 6 Week 6)  is when it begins the drop at 5 milligrams and the stages will go for 2 week  intervals instead of 1 week.

Now, that stage is where I get stuck at so ,  

I'm thinking I will wait until I get closer to that stage and then figure it out according to where I'm at with all this,

does that make good sense?

I used  Ashton as a guide line.  I am going with a 60 mg Valium Substitute for 3mg  Zanex  daily.

I appreciate your input on this, I'm SO nervous, I've never taken valium before, I'm afraid how I will feel on it ( any feedback on valium?)  

....lots of anxiety here today

I start the schedule as early as tomorrow!    :o

Thank you in advance for your advice and support – Noelle

My Starting Dose:  

Morning :       alprazolam 1mg                          

Afternoon:     alprazolam 1mg                

Evening:        alprazolam 1mg                                                

Diazepam Equivalent:  60mg

Taper Schedule :

Week 1 / Stage 1

Morning:  alprazolam 1mg

Afternoon:  alprazolam 1mg

Evening:   .5 alprazolam + diazepam 10mg    

Total:  =  60 mg Diazepam

Week 2 / Stage 2

Morning:  alprazolam 1mg

Afternoon:  alprazolam .5mg  + 10mg Diazepam

Evening:   .5 alprazolam + diazepam 10mg    

Week 3 / Stage 3

Morning:    alprazolam 0.5mg  + diazepam 10mg

Afernoon:  alprazolam 0.5mg + diazepam 10mg

Evening:   alprazolam 0.5mg + diazepam 10mg

[98...]
My Starting Dose: 

Morning :      alprazolam 1mg                             

Afternoon:    alprazolam 1mg               

Evening:        alprazolam 1mg                                               

Diazepam Equivalent:  60mg

Taper Schedule :

Week 1 / Stage 1

Morning:  alprazolam 1mg 

Afternoon:  alprazolam 1mg 

Evening:  .5 alprazolam + diazepam 10mg   

Total:  =  60 mg Diazepam

Week 2 / Stage 2

Morning:  alprazolam 1mg 

Afternoon:  alprazolam .5mg  + 10mg Diazepam   

Evening:  .5 alprazolam + diazepam 10mg   

Week 3 / Stage 3

Morning:    alprazolam 0.5mg  + diazepam 10mg

Afernoon:  alprazolam 0.5mg + diazepam 10mg

Evening:  alprazolam 0.5mg + diazepam 10mg

Yes that will work.

:thumbsup:

I had to c/o from Klonopin to Valium in a way that worked for me as well, being at 2.25mg of Klonopin.

Then what I would personally do is this-

Evening:  diazepam 10mg + diazepam 10mg = 20mg diazepam

Hold there for a week- 2 weeks, then carry on the way you want to c/o.

c/o = cross over BTW.

S#

"  you can use Schedule 8 for lorazepam but substitute twice as much diazepam for every .5mg drop of Xanax.  In other words, where the schedule shows replacing .5mg lorazepam with 5mg diazepam, you would replace .5mg Xanax with 10mg diazepam.  You could make up a chart for yourself showing the times and amounts of each of your doses and make a substitution for .5mg Xanax every 10-14 days.  Diazepam takes a while to build up in your system which is why you want to allow sufficient time between substitutions.  Hope this helps.  "

Yes this does help, I never thought of using schedule 8, I wasn't sure about the lorazepam equation but the way you explained it makes sense.

Sigma, you stated my schedule would work , thank you both for your feed back, I think I will start out with what I have for the first few weeks and go from there , I will keep posting my schedules as I go along if that's ok so perhaps you can help me adjust it

Beeper thank you for your story as well, it's so hard, I have felt so alone with all this, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one

Thank you both so much, I'm going to pick up my medications now, the zanex and the valium , I will begin my schedule tomorrow  eeeks! ???

Sigma

Thanks for letting me know what CO meant , I didn't know , cross over , meaning in my case when I stop taking the zanex entirely and go completely with the valium each day right ? 

"  Then what I would personally do is this-

Evening:  diazepam 10mg + diazepam 10mg = 20mg diazepam

Hold there for a week- 2 weeks, then carry on the way you want to c/o. "

What week or stage, should I start this at Sigma?

Sorry I'm so lost , thanks again

[98...]

Sigma

Thanks for letting me know what CO meant , I didn't know , cross over , meaning in my case when I stop taking the zanex entirely and go completely with the valium each day right ? 

Evening:   diazepam 10mg + diazepam 10mg = 20mg diazepam

Sorry I'm so lost , thanks again

meaning in my case when I stop taking the zanex entirely and go completely with the valium each day right ? 

Yes, once the cross over is complete, you will be on Valium, and it will cover the Xanax. You will not be on Xanax anymore.. Just Valium..

That way you can start tapering the Valium.. which is the idea Benzo to taper from.

Evening:   diazepam 10mg + diazepam 10mg = 20mg diazepam

I didn't put it in a week or a stage. I'm just going by your schedule that you made.. which looks good to me.

I see nothing wrong with it.

You will replace the Xanax with Valium in stages, but at your own rate. You have to listen very carefully to your body..

Once you c/o.. you will be fine.  :thumbsup:

Beeper also gave you a good suggestion as well.

S#

Sigma

Aw ok, I got it !  Thank you again,

I start my regime tomorrow ....nervous nervous

I actually took off from my job this coming week because I'm afraid of how I might feel on the

valium, I keep hearing that it's more sedating so I'm thinking like is it going to make me want to just pass out or what and then since I'm taking it at night, I may have trouble getting up in the morning, who knows....but I'll have a week to adjust to how I'm going to do on it so I'm glad about that

I will stay on this board and track my progress with you , please don't forget about meeeeeeeee

I sure need ya ....thank you again  :)

Noelle,

Smart taking the week off so you can just concentrate on you.  I'll be here with you all week.  If all goes well then I will have reduced .14mg by this time next week.

Danny

[98...]

Sigma

Aw ok, I got it !  Thank you again,

I start my regime tomorrow ....nervous nervous

I actually took off from my job this coming week because I'm afraid of how I might feel on the

valium, I keep hearing that it's more sedating so I'm thinking like is it going to make me want to just pass out or what and then since I'm taking it at night, I may have trouble getting up in the morning, who knows....but I'll have a week to adjust to how I'm going to do on it so I'm glad about that

I will stay on this board and track my progress with you , please don't forget about meeeeeeeee

I sure need ya ....thank you again  :)

I was nervous as well crossing over, or before crossing over. The Valium is sedating.. it covered everyone of my symptoms I was having from the Klonopin. I had Inter-dose withdrawal from the Klonopin. Even though, Klonopin has a long 1/2 life.. I still had Interdose w/d after I reached a certain mg.

Just a few suggestions-

I would relax with the Valium.. it was a few days after crossing over.. I felt very sedated... now note, that we all vary with a medication.

BUT in my case what basically happened was.. as I was crossing over, the Klonopin was leaving and the Valium covered the withdrawal. I could feel the Klonopin leave (I think)... because I had sweating, and a few other symptoms that indicated to me the Klonopin was leaving under the Valium.. well Of course it was, there's no other logic or reason.. why it wouldn't.

I just listened to my body. So.. try not to be nervous, and you may very well find once crossed over.. it will be a relief, IF you are having Inter-dose withdrawal.

As far as passing out.. I didn't really pass out, it was more of just getting very drowsy, and laying down and falling asleep, and I remembered it..

It's a good idea to take a leave from work.. depending on what you do.. if you're working with heavy machinery so on.. I wouldn't recommend one to work like this while first being introduced to Valium..

As far as having trouble getting up in the morning, some days.. I did at first. Once you start tapering the Valium.. after you cross over.. the sedation eventually decreases.

Ashton is correct IMO about Valium being the easiest to taper.. well comparing that to Klonopin, my experience  :o

I think you will be fine, and no I'm not going anywhere.

Just ask questions if you need input.

The above is my experience with the Valium.. as we all differ, but at the same time.. others have compared their experiences with me, and well, it pretty much was the same.

Hang in there.

S#

Noelle,

Smart taking the week off so you can just concentrate on you.  I'll be here with you all week.  If all goes well then I will have reduced .14mg by this time next week.

Danny

Thank you Cando :)  .....I'll be posting with progress, I appreciate your support !!

I start today , wow the time is here .....eeeks! I CAN DO THISS  ;-)

Sigma

Thank you thank you, I'm still learning some of these terms, what is  " Inter-dose withdrawal?"

I'm not sure what that means, this way I can understand it if or when I feel this in my body.

Thanks for the tips on the valium , that has helped me feel a llittle more calmed down about it.

I am wondering if these withdrawl spells I'm having at the present time will actually stop once I begin taking the valium

or If I'm still going to feel this discomfort , that's my hope is that they stop the "mini" wd I'm having each day

because I'm not functioning well at all right now....ugggg

Well I start my taper , first dose of the Valium will be with my evening dose tonight. I feel so vulnerable right now.

I will keep my progress going on here ....gosh I NEED SO MUCH HELP and I know I'm not alone , I just can't help to feel alone

THANK YOU AGAIN ALL    SO MUCH!

{{{ hugs }}}

[98...]
Thank you thank you, I'm still learning some of these terms, what is  " Inter-dose withdrawal?"

Withdrawal between doses.

I am wondering if these withdrawl spells I'm having at the present time will actually stop once I begin taking the valium

Many find they do, so yes more than likely.

You're welcome.

You can start a Progress Log or a Blog if you want.

I know how it is before a cross over.. but I think the way you have it planned.. it will go better than what you think.

Just do it in stages, as you have planned out.

S#

Sigma

OK thank you, YES now I understand, I AM definitely having inter dose wd .... :(  It hurts, I have pain associated with it and severe burning sensations going up and down my legs, so uncomfortable , thank you for the experience from you that you share, it gives me so much hope.

BTW  I was able to finally post my progress log today on the board. This week I'm only taking the Valium at bed time so it's not been bad, I start to feel tired within about an hour and half after taking it, the mornings I'm a little foggy but nothing too bad, I think going back to work this way will work out, the only thing I'm worried about is when I start dosing the afternoon and mornings with the Valium, I can't be too tired at work or else I won't be able to do my job, I'm an accountant so you can imagine trying to balance numbers while half asleep,  eeeks! laugh)

Oh well I say, just more time off work to adjust, I'm not going to worry, if I get to that bridge,  I'll cross it

I'm learning the board a little easier now, each day I learn something new I can click on or do , it's been a great thing, " In home therapy " 

I wish you the best on your journey, do you have a current progress board? I'll look for you on there :)

Thanks again  --- Noelle

[98...]

Sigma

OK thank you, YES now I understand, I AM definitely having inter dose wd .... :(  It hurts, I have pain associated with it and severe burning sensations going up and down my legs, so uncomfortable , thank you for the experience from you that you share, it gives me so much hope.

BTW  I was able to finally post my progress log today on the board. This week I'm only taking the Valium at bed time so it's not been bad, I start to feel tired within about an hour and half after taking it, the mornings I'm a little foggy but nothing too bad, I think going back to work this way will work out, the only thing I'm worried about is when I start dosing the afternoon and mornings with the Valium, I can't be too tired at work or else I won't be able to do my job, I'm an accountant so you can imagine trying to balance numbers while half asleep,  eeeks! laugh)

Oh well I say, just more time off work to adjust, I'm not going to worry, if I get to that bridge,  I'll cross it

I'm learning the board a little easier now, each day I learn something new I can click on or do , it's been a great thing, " In home therapy "  

I wish you the best on your journey, do you have a current progress board? I'll look for you on there :)

Thanks again  --- Noelle

OK thank you, YES now I understand, I AM definitely having inter dose wd .... :(  It hurts, I have pain associated with it and severe burning sensations going up and down my legs, so uncomfortable , thank you for the experience from you that you share, it gives me so much hope.

I had the burning sx's in my leg.

I think once you have crossed over you will be better off. I know the Valium eliminated most of my Inter-dose w/d.

What stage are you at in your c/o?

Valium has helped me taper down a lot. I never could have done that on Klonopin.

My mother is an accountant.. so yes I could imagine..

Oh well I say, just more time off work to adjust, I'm not going to worry, if I get to that bridge,  I'll cross it

One step at a time. Take all the time you need for yourself. This isn't an easy process.

I do have a progress log. I need to get back to posting in it.. as I haven't for a while.

S#

Edit: lol I messed up on my first post to you. I posted too quickly  ::)

" What stage are you at in your c/o? "

Sorry Sigma

To answer your question, I'm on stage 1 week 1

stage 9 week 9 is the week I'm going to be completely crossed over

according to my schedule that is, sure seems like a long ways away

slow process  :-\

Hi Noelle,

Are you ok? You've been quiet on here the last couple of days. I know that sometimes that the sx get so bad that talking (or writing) takes just too much effort.

Praying for your strength and courage.

Danny

Hi Danny

Thanks for checking in, ya I'm struggling  :( 

My body and my mind is in agony , I'm holding on though, not going to let go

Feeling this way makes me doubt the taper plan and if I can do it

but I know it's just the drug and the suffer talking to me.

Yesterday I wanted to take an extra dose in between but I didn't

So I'm at least proud of myself for keeping up my will power.

Today is a new day , one more day on the path to our freedom

Thinking of you and I hope all is well

Noelle

Sigma!

If you see this, I was thinking of you, thank you for all your knowledge and support in helping me understand.

I have a question lingering in my mind, I thought maybe you could offer your thought on it , it doesn't make sense to me , I'm keeping in mind I'm going through wd so these questions pose to me through doubt and fear

Before I began this taper, I was experiencing wd on my current dose, which is why I made the decision to begin a taper plan. If I'm tapering at an equivalent milligram dose with the Valium, wouldn't that still leave me in a state of withdrawl? It would seem like the plan should be to increase the equivalency so I'm not having wd and then begin a taper ....I don't know, I'm probably wrong I know but I'm confused now after thinking about it  :-\

Thanks again Sigma

[98...]

Sigma!

If you see this, I was thinking of you, thank you for all your knowledge and support in helping me understand.

I have a question lingering in my mind, I thought maybe you could offer your thought on it , it doesn't make sense to me , I'm keeping in mind I'm going through wd so these questions pose to me through doubt and fear

Before I began this taper, I was experiencing wd on my current dose, which is why I made the decision to begin a taper plan. If I'm tapering at an equivalent milligram dose with the Valium, wouldn't that still leave me in a state of withdrawl? It would seem like the plan should be to increase the equivalency so I'm not having wd and then begin a taper ....I don't know, I'm probably wrong I know but I'm confused now after thinking about it  :-\

Thanks again Sigma

I can only give you my experience with this one.

If I'm tapering at an equivalent milligram dose with the Valium, wouldn't that still leave me in a state of withdrawl?

Have you completed your cross over yet?

Valium has to build up in your system... in my case it took 2-4 weeks.

After I crossed over... I felt relief. Tapering from the Klonopin had me sick, very sick after a long time, but I tapered too fast from 3mg to 2.25mg.

The Valium covered all of the withdrawal up for the most part at first.

I looked at your plan again to cross over, it looks good to me.

I can't tell you to increase your dosage. That's a decision you will have to make, but 60mg of Valium. I don't see any reason for increasing the dosage from where you're crossing over from 3mg of Xanax.

3mg of Xanax = 60mg of Valium

So that's the correct equiv.

S#

Noelle,

I went into detox on 2/28 at 3mg Xanax a day.  They switched me to 20mg Valium 3x daily immediately and then began a very fast taper to nothing in 2 weeks.  I'm not recommending this but I just wanted you to know that during the 2 week taper and for a third week benzo free I had no withdrawal side effects.  I was amazed!  That was after 11 years on Xanax.  However, they did have me on some blood pressure medication (Cholonodine) which may have helped.

Btw, then came week 4 and my body paid me back big time and I was like this -> :crazy:.  Had to reinstate after I got out of detox so that I could go back to work albeit at only .5mg Xanax twice daily.  I've been discouraged lately but I have to keep reminding myself that I was at 3 times my current dosage only a few months ago.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I think that Sigma is right and that once you get crossed over to Valium you will find the tapering to be much more manageable.

Also, just know that you sharing with me today about how rough things are for you encouraged me to redouble my efforts and to tough out the sx's I experience every day.

Thankful, Danny

Sigma --

Thank you for your response, it totally reassures me I'm on the right plan here , I have not c/o yet, according to my plan my complete c/o will be at week 9

I'm beginning week 2 tomorrow ( May 8th)  I'm thinking I want to speed it up but I'll just take it week by week and see how I feel. I hope I can actually complete the c/o by week 4 or 5 at least! 9 weeks seems like foreverrrrr,  I want this w/d to go away desperately  :crazy:

Danny --  I have to apologize,  I did not know your circumstances, I wasn't aware the prior history you had before I posted my thoughts to you on your taper plan.  I understand what you're saying and can understand what you must be experiencing even more so, I pray for all of us, for strength.

WE WILL get through this with commitment and determination 

Thanks again to you {{both}}

Keeping the Faith -- Noelle

[98...]

I would take it week by week to see how it goes.

Sounds like you're doing a good job c/o.

I hope I can actually complete the c/o by week 4 or 5 at least!

Just listen to your body as you c/o. That's all we can do.

S#