Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

GABA

My personal experience is that it is a waste of money if not simply dangerous.  Others on this site may disagree.  I had a very bad reaction to GABA and amino acids.  The chief reason for not taking it?  If you take GABA supplements, your body will recognize this and stop producing it's own GABA.  This stuff messed me up.  Just my opinion but I KNOW silver may disagree.

Also, keep in mind that we all have different chemistries and what works for one person may not work for another.  BTW, you can get GABA at any vitamin store.

Thomas

I just had a horrible setback from taking amino acids.  Please see my blog.

I wouldn't go near that stuff with a 10 foot pole!

Sandy

i used gaba powder in a pinch - it worked and then like many other supplements it stopped.

i did not want gaba powder to interfere with my natural healing so i i took only in a pinch - like it i didnt sleep for a couple of days.

when it comes to rest and relaxation we build up an immunity pretty fast - so take in moderation if at all.

I tried gaba in the worst part of my wd, it didn't help me to feel any different. 

Something I am trying is a supplement with "glutathione" in it.  You will have to google it to learn more about it but this is one thing it says about it:

"The master antioxidant for clean up, DNA protection, energy recovery and cell membrane health is Glutathione (GSH).  It is a three amino acid protein that must be generated within the cells.  Its action is almost a hundred-step process in which the availability of the bioactive cysteine is the most common rate-limiting or critical step."

You can't just take glutathione, it's in a powder supplement.  It helps the whole body but is most helpful in the brain.

You can check out a video on this site that will explain it better. 

http://organiclifeforce.com/ 

I am not endorsing this, it is something I am trying and feel that I have had some change to the positive.  I have been on it for 19 days, the changes might have come along with time anyway, I don't know.

Everyone needs to check out things for themselves and make decisions based on what is going on with you.

After checking it out if someone wants more info let me know and I will help you all I can.

Ts

Hi Dkelley,

According to many experts, GABA won't help because it does not cross the blood-brain barrier. In the other hand, L-glutamine converts into GABA, so it has a better chance of helping. Having said that, anything we ingest, including amino acids, can help for a while and then stop helping. For a while, I felt better on 5-HTP and then that stopped working, too. It's all a crap shoot, and the less we have to take, the better!

Love,

Genie

good point genie - stuff does stop working - that is why it is best not to use it too much - better to use it only when really needed otherwise it won't work again when you really need it.

good point genie - stuff does stop working - that is why it is best not to use it too much - better to use it only when really needed otherwise it won't work again when you really need it.

This is the same with benzos, I was not taking them everyday until a doc told me to take it every night before sleep. Before that I could let a week go by and not take any and then just take .5mg Ativan when I felt a panic attack was coming from meth w/d. 

Not endorsing benzos either (no way!!), but it seems like almost anything, within moderation it can have some benefits and even save lives.

On the other hand, I also know of better ways to handle panic attacks w/o any drugs or with something that is more natural like Valerian root or Passiflora...again with moderation as it might stop working after 2-3 weeks.  The good about it it's that you can just stop taking it and won't have any w/d sx.

Jarocho

Valerian and passiflower work on the same receptors as benzos I think...from what I have heard they should be avoided for this reason but I am not the expert on this...

I just bought some gaba and will try it tonight. I just need to calm down my fears a little, so if it can do this, yay.

Hi Pebbles! :)

Hi Peebles

I ordered the Gaba supplement before I read some of the posts. I have it, but to date have not tried it. Hope it works for you. Let me know.

Thanks

Dennis