Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Bad reaction to marijuana

[...]

[1d...]

I tend to use more of the 20+% stuff because I want to minimize my smoking.  But 12% stuff might work just as well if you smoke twice as much.  Depends...

I look at the terpene content.  I want it above 1% (ideally above 3%, but that's kind of rare in my experience).  That tells me the product was grown/cured properly, and is fresh.  The small flowers growing at the bottom of the plant usually are inferior.  They contain less THC and less terps.  I avoid that stuff.  But some strains just don't make as much THC even though they make ample terps.  Those shouldn't be overlooked - especially if the price is good.

I used to smoke the strongest strains that there were and then I started going for the less THC and more CBD strains. Like the one-to-one ratio. That way you're still getting lots of terpenes and calming chemicals but you also get plenty to get you high.

Whenever I first bought it from the dispensary, I was thinking to myself maybe this will suck and the budtender is wrong, but they were actually right and it helped out with the anxiety. So then I started testing out different one to one strains or anything that was even close. And with most of them, it was great.

But I still like OG Kush and pre 98 Bubba and cookies and Gorilla Glue the best out of the regular strains. Indica has always been great for me.

I go for a heavy indica/kush usually for sleep because it's reliable and predictable. I don't have to take much and invariably I'll drift off in the hour after taking it.

That said, I enjoy the headspace and don't always want to sleep straight away. A sativa dominant strain taken 4-6 hours before normal bedtime is something I've done fairly regularly during my taper. And the rest, to be absolutely honest. What happens for me seems to be common. I enjoy a buzz for a good 4 hours or so before it settles down to a more chill high, which I find conducive to sleeping if it's my normal bedtime.

If you can tolerate getting things a little wrong as you experiment, most people will find that they build a tolerance to the more whacky effects quite quickly. Like, if you set out to take cannabis daily in the evening before bed, you'll most likely have a milder experience on the second day compared with the first and then milder still on the third. You'll become more familiar with the headspace and it won't be such a strong effect due to tolerance.

I don't know how helpful this is, just thought I'd share some of my experience. I regard the out there effects as a feature rather than a bug so it's difficult to know if my advice is relevant. I definitely recommend chilling in the evening but not immediately before bed with a sativa, though. Try to relax and enjoy the ride and you will surely drift to sleep in a matter of hours. Try to force it and yeah, I can see how it could keep you up. Good luck whatever you do.

Katz, I noticed you have 0% CBD in your strain. Mine's the same but is that a good thing? It seems CBD offers a therapeutic effect without the high so wouldn't it be good to have that as well? What are terps?

Hi JWL. A while ago, I stopped using my 50/50 CBD/indica. I just wasn't getting the relief (from insomnia) that I wanted. And CBD alone wasn't doing it for me. (I find CBD on its own is okay if I feel anxious and squirrelly and want to just chill a bit in the daytime. That's pretty rare. I'm more focused on sleep). CBD on its own never did give me the particular therapeutic effect I sought -- relief from insomnia.

So I did a little reading and decided to try just an indica. No CBD. And not a hybrid indica/sativa. OMG no. For me, anyhow, a straight indica does the trick. Maybe I should educate myself about the terpenes, but so far I have no complaints with my bedtime indica Gummi Bear. I've noticed that the strain doesn't matter -- I get the same relief from any high THC indica. So . . . being lazy, I haven't gone to "terp school". Maybe I will.

Have you discovered a strain that works well for you? I'm currently using Godfather OG, which does everything I want it to do.

Best to you,

Katz

[1d...]
Terps = Terpenes, terpenoids, terpene alcohols, etc.  A diverse collection of fairly small molecules that often give foods, flowers, spices their characteristic aromas.  Many have mild therapeutic activities (hence aromatherapy).  Some are known to be mildly gabaergic.  Tons of neat chemistry.  Wiki's got a decent review.  Tons of info out there on the 'net.

I smoked it everyday for 4 years no problems now I can’t smoke it at all the smallest amount and my skins on fire and tremors start.

I got that too. Not skin on fire but crazy itchy skin. I couldn't stop scratching.

Katz, no I haven't tried anything yet but I'm thinking of Gorilla Glue

A lot of the time when you get edibles, you get straight indica THC without any CBD or any of the other good cannabinoids and terpenes. But Edibles are a completely different kind of high.

Gorilla Glue is one of my favorite strains , it always gave me a heavy and laid back High. I highly recommend it for a lot of things.

That's great that it works for you as well. I always thought it was one of the more laid-back strains. You should also give OG Kush and pre 98 Bubba and Girl Scout cookies and some other Indica strains are shot.