Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alcohol

[Sh...]

Does anyone not have trouble with alcohol as they taper? I have a scotch maybe once a fortnight but that is only recent. I’ve been struggling for a long time before I had a random drink. Is it really that bad? I find it makes me just feel like I’m still actually alive. So many rules it’s nice to just live a little. Thoughts?

I'd recommend against it 100% of the time to someone who is thinking of drinking but hasn't done it. It's a bit risky.

I think it's different if you know you can tolerate it. I have the odd beer although I'm more like once every 2 months instead of every 2 weeks (just what it averages out to, no set plan). I got really really drunk one time in bad withdrawals. That's not recommended at all because it kicked the hell out of me for a few days and made me sluggish for a while after that too... but the sky didn't fall in.

It's definitely not good for you but neither is it for anybody else. I think there's worse things you can do to yourself and I don't underestimate the value of the release it can give.

Thanks Diaz . Yeah I certainly don’t get drunk nor do I plan to it just sometimes takes the edge off a bit but it’s mainly just about feeling like I’m not sick that I enjoy. Just being able to live a bit

Does anyone not have trouble with alcohol as they taper? I have a scotch maybe once a fortnight but that is only recent. I’ve been struggling for a long time before I had a random drink. Is it really that bad? I find it makes me just feel like I’m still actually alive. So many rules it’s nice to just live a little. Thoughts?

Alcohol is deceitful, it will bite you on the bum when you least expect it.

I think that once you've finished your taper and are feeling more or less okay, that's the time to think about having a drink. I started having half a glass of wine maybe once a week about a year after my taper, and I felt okay. Now I have a full glass  :D now and than then a dinner. I was never a big drinker , but I spent my teenage years in France where good wine is part of their culture. So it became part of "my" culture, too. Now I live in "wine country" in OR, and had just started enjoying their wine when the benzo beast came along. I abstained during my taper, but was pleased that I could resume having a glass of wine now and then when it was concluded. For me, there are a few things that really make life worthwhile -- good wine, good coffee, and good chocolate. Thank God the benzo beast didn't take them from me!

I think we can get too prescriptive on here sometimes about alcohol -- no, no, never, liquid benzos and all that. As conventional wisdom goes . . . everyone's different. I can only speak for myself.

Best,

Katz

I think that once you've finished your taper and are feeling more or less okay, that's the time to think about having a drink. I started having half a glass of wine maybe once a week about a year after my taper, and I felt okay. Now I have a full glass  :D now and than then a dinner. I was never a big drinker , but I spent my teenage years in France where good wine is part of their culture. So it became part of "my" culture, too. Now I live in "wine country" in OR, and had just started enjoying their wine when the benzo beast came along. I abstained during my taper, but was pleased that I could resume having a glass of wine now and then when it was concluded. For me, there are a few things that really make life worthwhile -- good wine, good coffee, and good chocolate. Thank God the benzo beast didn't take them from me!

I think we can get too prescriptive on here sometimes about alcohol -- no, no, never, liquid benzos and all that. As conventional wisdom goes . . . everyone's different. I can only speak for myself.

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz x I agree it just seems like too many rules sometimes. I do appreciate the opinions. Everyone is different, I just know that some days I feel like death and I haven’t drank in months, sometimes I have a drink and feel totally fine. Then I’ll have a drink and have a bad night/day, then of course I’ll blame the alcohol, even tho I’ve had really bad days without it. I’m almost done so I can wait. All good things come to those who wait! I’m glad ur able to have a vino again. It’s a lovely reward after such an ordeal. Cheers  :D

I'm more concerned bc you are still on a benzo, and alcohol is always a no-no when on benzos even according to doctors.

I know some members who are able to have the odd drink in recovery, but I am NOT one of them. A sip of kombucha can completely throw me off!

Just remember that alcohol affects gaba...and we're trying to heal that:)

But I know you just want something that makes you feel alive and a real person again. I can tolerate dark chocolate (pure) - that is my treat:)

I'm more concerned bc you are still on a benzo, and alcohol is always a no-no when on benzos even according to doctors.

I know some members who are able to have the odd drink in recovery, but I am NOT one of them. A sip of kombucha can completely throw me off!

Just remember that alcohol affects gaba...and we're trying to heal that:)

But I know you just want something that makes you feel alive and a real person again. I can tolerate dark chocolate (pure) - that is my treat:)

I know trina x im gunna shelve it for a bit. at least I still have tea xx yum i miss dark chocolate! staying away from cafeine is the worstx

I think we need a treat. but ur right its not a trap i want to fall into.

It's a bummer to have to give up the things that make life worthwhile, but it's only temporary. Fortunately I was sick as dog throughout my taper and didn't even want to look at a piece of chocolate. Ditto coffee. As for drinking, even a few sips . . . nope. I didn't want to mess up my taper.

I found a pretty good coffee substitute called Teecino. You can buy it on Amazon, I think, or at any health food store. Mostly I drank peppermint or ginger tea.

Good lord, the things benzos take from us.

But, it's not forever.

Best,

Katz

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]