Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please need help regarding my upcoming wisdom teeth surgery

[li...]

I am so terrified of getting worse after with my withdrawls. Should I opt out of pain medication after surgery? What is the best pain medication to use without it affecting benzo withdrawals? Right now I get an hour of sleep a night and I haven't even started tapering. Im in tolerance withdrawal. I am scared of the pain and even if I will survive because I have multiple serious health problems.  They will be doing 3 impacted teeth.  I had another post where he wants to put me on sodium pentothal in addition to propofol but nobody answered. He wanted to do versed but I was concerned it was a benzo. Is the versed better than the sodium pentothal? I cant find any info on this online.  Thanks so much for your help.

[b8...]
I asked for the oral surgeon to not include any benzos in the 'cocktail' and he obliged.  The opiates will probably give you a nice sleep.

I believe Versed is a benzo. I would avoid this if I were you. Also, I would avoid any “flox” antibiotics such as Levaquin or Cipro.

Ive had versed a time or two for different procedures. Its short acting and it did not bother me, but thats me. For short term pain relief Ive been given tramadol 50mg and it worked fine with no adverse affects. Its a synthetic opiate, It does not affect GABA receptors

For what it is worth, I have had versed three times in the last year with no ill effects.  I had it on two separate occasions mixed with propofol for dental surgery, and once mixed with fentanyl to sedate me and ease the pain for a steroid injection to my spine for a pinched nerve.  I realize that my experience is one data point, but I had absolutely no problems. 

I have also had straight IV propofol used to put me out for an endoscopy.  It usually hinges on what the doctor/anesthesiologist is comfortable and experienced with.

I am more grateful to this board than I am for anything on the internet and for most things in the world.  It has been a life saver.  However, by the nature of the board we are more likely to read about problems people.  No one is that they took a certain medicine and had no problems.  Reading that may color our perception at a point where we are very vulnerable.  Nonetheless, I still read about problems people had with different meds and it serves as a caution and warning for me if the doctor suggests them unless there is a very compelling reason to take them.

I’ve had surgery a couple of times since my cold turkey. Both times they would’ve used Versed. I specifically said that I wanted to avoid benzodiazepines because I have had a very bad reaction to them in the past. So no benzos were used and they found alternatives including propanol. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk of experiencing a setback when there are other alternatives available.

For my most recent surgery, the doctor wanted to prescribe Cipro as an antibiotic. I was aware that this class of antibiotics could cause a setback in my recovery, so I asked for an alternative and was prescribed Keflex which worked out just fine.

I would not take another Benzo unless I had absolutely no other choice.

I had surgery post taper and neither the propofol nor the opiate pain relievers bothered me, nor have I read many (or any that I recall) posts saying either one had caused anyone else a problem.

I’d be sure to mention my concerns to the doc/dentist and anesthesiologist.  As others have mentioned, it’s more important to avoid antibiotics in the quinolone class.

Most of us have the worries that you’ve expressed here and find the anticipation is worse than the reality, things go easier than e think they will.

:hug:

Thank you all for your help and sharing what you did and what worked for you.  Your support means so much to me  :smitten:. I was wondering if the sodium pentothal is a barbiturate and if any of you had been on that for general anesthesia.  Im assuming it works differently than an opiate in the system and I haven't found anyone yet you had been on that and their experience.  Thanks in advance for your help  :smitten:

[b8...]
Sodium pentothal is a barbiturate.  From what I read, it was a mainstay in dentistry, but has been largely replaced by propofol.  It's still occasionally used.  I can't say whether I've ever had it.  I don't know exactly what the oral surgeon put into the cocktail. 

I had all four wisdom teeth removed when I was 21 or so and didn't take any antibiotics or pain medication after the procedure.  Had a back molar extracted about 9 months ago and needed no pain meds.  You probably won't have so much pain that you would need any pain meds. 

I had oral surgery last year (had a wisdom and 3 molars pulled) and the propofol gave him trouble trying to keep me sedated enough and I remembered everything but it didn't mess with my taper at all.

Stay away from tramadol. It can cause seizures. I would just take the prescription for whatever opioid they give you and try to avoid taking it, preferring ibuprofen instead, but its good to have if you need it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]