Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Safest pain medicine?

[Me...]

I had major surgery within the first year of withdrawal/recovery, and I took Hydrocodone for a few weeks post op without any issues.

I also was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain, and to help with sleep, but it barely helped at all, and caused me severe depression.  Even after doing a slow taper, I had a wicked withdrawal.  Gabapentin is not a safe drug IMHO.

[9a...]
Tylenol (paracetamol, acetaminophen) yes, ibuprofen and aspirin no (NSAIDs are negative allosteric modulators of GABAA). At least that's how it's been reported. Some people have had trouble with tylenol, and many haven't had any issues with NSAIDs.

be careful with the amount of tylenol you take, to much can damage your liver and dont drink alcohol if you are taking it regularly

I just have to add, yes, Hydrocodone is Dilaudid, an Opiod, which I have taken, it works and seems to have no ill effects, the other pain med which I was given after recent surgery was Fentanyl, not sure of the spelling, not sure whether it was okay as I have had another bw flare up, but I think the anesthesiologist gave me a Benzo prior to surgery, so not sure which is the culprit, or both may be both are.

I just have to add, yes, Hydrocodone is Dilaudid, an Opiod, which I have taken, it works and seems to have no ill effects, the other pain med which I was given after recent surgery was Fentanyl, not sure of the spelling, not sure whether it was okay as I have had another bw flare up, but I think the anesthesiologist gave me a Benzo prior to surgery, so not sure which is the culprit, or both may be both are.

Hydrocodone is Vicodin, not Dilaudid. Dilaudid is hydromorphone and its one of the only pain relievers that I was compatible with, the rest besides morphine actually caused me intense anxiety. You have to be careful with Dilaudid though because tolerance goes up rapidly and its far more likely to interact with benzodiazepines in a negative fashion in my experience (I almost killed myself mixing my Dilaudid prescription with my night time dose of clonazepam the last time - I was able to get just enough air through hyperventilation to make it through the night without a costly trip to the ER).

For what its worth, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper in hot water, drank like a tea, works better for pain than any pill except the opioids. I used to drink it for tooth pain and despite having an exposed nerve, I would be able to get back to sleep at night after drinking it. Capsaicin in cayenne causes the body to release endorphins like it would if you took an opioid painkiller but without the addictive potential and damage from painkillers.

Thank you, EtherealRemnant for setting me straight....yes, Dilaudid is a Hydromorphone, not sure what Vicodin is, will google it.  Seems like Dilaudid, for some people, makes withdrawal symptoms worse!  Thanks for the Cayanne Pepper tip, will try that after my surgery, though once through the initial pain I do well on Tylenol Extra Strength.......was given two Fentanyl in the hospital post surgery and didn't need any more.  Thanks again for your very helpful posting.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]