Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Prozac Poop-out?

[Cl...]

Hi there,

I'm not entirely sure I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum. Anyway ... I have been taking 60 mg. of Prozac in the morning for many years, and my psychiatrist has suggested I may be experiencing "Prozac Poop-out." I believe many of us know this phenomenon as tolerance. I have been experiencing extreme worry and agitation lately, almost as though the anti-depressants I'm taking are doing nothing.

My doctor has suggested lowering my dose from 60 mg. to 20 mg. for 7-10 days. He says this is a sort of "reset" to the system, where drug levels in the brain can clear out. After ten days, the idea is to move back up to 60 mg. and see how that works.

I should note I trust this person, as we've worked together for some time and he was able to support me while I tapered off Klonopin. My question, though ... has anyone heard of this, or anything like this?

TG

• 3 weeks later...
Same thing happening to me as of now.I am 4 months on 20mg fluoxetine but I recently feel so much fear and unnecessary worry. I feel the prozac is not helping.I have upped the dose today to 40mg to see what happens.

[31...]

Closet,

What your doc is doing is right I think. I've done it once in the past and the drug that had stopped working started working again.

My only concern is that retaining 20 mg would not amount to a full "drug holiday" and because of fluoxetine half-life concerns, 10 days might not be enough. If I were you I'd discuss with my doc. to completely stop prozac for 20 days and start another SSRI/SNRI.

[31...]

Same thing happening to me as of now.I am 4 months on 20mg fluoxetine but I recently feel so much fear and unnecessary worry. I feel the prozac is not helping.I have upped the dose today to 40mg to see what happens.

Increasing never worked for me. the 5 mg escit that I had increased, I had to cut back. I got intolerable anxiety from it and became suicidal. This is the 3rd time this happened to me in last 6 months.

My personal prejudice is that things fast enter diminishing returns territory after the minimum therapeutic dose (which is 20 mg fluoxetine or 10 mg escitalopram or 20 mg citalopram) is crossed. I've been on 20 mg escitalopram in the past, when I could tolerate it, but saw no incremental benefits from it. Changing SSRIs works better for me.

Now I'm going to try ketamine. I'm getting ready to pack my bags. :) I'm going to enjoy the holiday to Mumbai.

Increasing never worked for me. the 5 mg escit that I had increased, I had to cut back. I got intolerable anxiety from it and became suicidal. This is the 3rd time this happened to me in last 6 months.

My personal prejudice is that things fast enter diminishing returns territory after the minimum therapeutic dose (which is 20 mg fluoxetine or 10 mg escitalopram or 20 mg citalopram) is crossed. I've been on 20 mg escitalopram in the past, when I could tolerate it, but saw no incremental benefits from it. Changing SSRIs works better for me.

Now I'm going to try ketamine. I'm getting ready to pack my bags. :) I'm going to enjoy the holiday to Mumbai.

I see no other option than ketamine for you. As for me still uncertain about the next road to take as far as AD's are concerned.

[31...]

If you are a few days into 40 mg prozac, you should give it 2 weeks though before ditching it.

I'm sure your 2nd or 3rd AD will be the right one. Often the first SSRI doesn't work. You should count yourself lucky you can tolerate the SSRI start ups (2 weeks) -- many can't and give up after a few days of starting.

If you are a few days into 40 mg prozac, you should give it 2 weeks though before ditching it.

I'm sure your 2nd or 3rd AD will be the right one. Often the first SSRI doesn't work. You should count yourself lucky you can tolerate the SSRI start ups (2 weeks) -- many can't and give up after a few days of starting.

I just toughened it out on starting. I had my eyes on the prize to see the kick in at 4-6 months as they said it usually does after a while.

Do you think the generics matter as well because I have mixed generics all through these 4 months. Like 5 different generics.

[31...]

I just toughened it out on starting. I had my eyes on the prize to see the kick in at 4-6 months as they said it usually does after a while.

Do you think the generics matter as well because I have mixed generics all through these 4 months. Like 5 different generics.

I would be surprised if generics matter! I've used generics all my life and changed brands frequently. Never felt anything.

The salts or carriers for the drug might be different in generics, but the active metabolite  is always the same. So sometimes you are getting vanilla flavoured milk and sometimes strawberry flavoured. Wouldn't matter if milk is what your body needs. But then I'm not an expert.

I would be surprised if generics matter! I've used generics all my life and changed brands frequently. Never felt anything.

The salts or carriers for the drug might be different in generics, but the active metabolite  is always the same. So sometimes you are getting vanilla flavoured milk and sometimes strawberry flavoured. Wouldn't matter if milk is what your body needs. But then I'm not an expert.

Bluewater seems you have had a wide taste of the ADs.

As for me the journey is just beginning.

[31...]

Bluewater seems you have had a wide taste of the ADs.

As for me the journey is just beginning.

I had never imagined I'd end up an AD veteran when I began my journey.  :idiot: But, as they say, one day flows into another and pretty soon you find yourself on the other side of the mountain.

My lexapro pooped out..thats how this whole benzo mess started. Drug free now, but that is my story and my experience. I hope you find what works for you. :)

My lexapro pooped out..thats how this whole benzo mess started. Drug free now, but that is my story and my experience. I hope you find what works for you. :)

Do you feel better Trina after being completely off.

[31...]

I notice Trinia hasn't replied. To answer your question, yes she felt better after being completely off.

How are you feeling today? I heard you felt great yesterday . .

I notice Trinia hasn't replied. To answer your question, yes she felt better after being completely off.

How are you feeling today? I heard you felt great yesterday . .

Yesterday I was feeling okay though today I'm a bit down.At a low point. Just faking everything. How are you doing currently. Any improvements.

[31...]

If you are having ups and downs then that is a good sign. Start a diary of symptoms if you don't maintain one already. And see if you are progressing at all.

I'm perfectly fine on 10 mg now. I can say this because today is the 5th consecutive day of full normalcy. I feel like I've come home. Usually ADs work on me in 2 weeks but this time it took exactly 2 months. I'm surprsed 'cos I was preparing for a failure or incomplete response. Looking back, the climb up was slow but gradual and starting from the beginning of the 2nd month. I've now experienced first hand the fact that these ADs can take an awful lot of time to work -- it depends on your luck.

But yeah, if I had seen no progress after the first month, I would have ditched it. The fact is that I did see some progress but was afraid of stalling.

Checked thyroid? I was hypothyroid and started a thyroid med a month ago. Possibly it contributed too.

If you are having ups and downs then that is a good sign. Start a diary of symptoms if you don't maintain one already. And see if you are progressing at all.

I'm perfectly fine on 10 mg now. I can say this because today is the 5th consecutive day of full normalcy. I feel like I've come home. Usually ADs work on me in 2 weeks but this time it took exactly 2 months. I'm surprsed 'cos I was preparing for a failure or incomplete response. Looking back, the climb up was slow but gradual and starting from the beginning of the 2nd month. I've now experienced first hand the fact that these ADs can take an awful lot of time to work -- it depends on your luck.

But yeah, if I had seen no progress after the first month, I would have ditched it. The fact is that I did see some progress but was afraid of stalling.

Checked thyroid? I was hypothyroid and started a thyroid med a month ago. Possibly it contributed too.

Yes I have cycled through a bunch of symptoms. From palpitations to insomnia to adrenaline surges.etc.

But those stopped. I am now dealing with mental symptoms like fear 'anxiety and hypersensitivity.

Could you shed more light on hypothyroidism and are the medications for a lifetime.?How is the test done too.?

[31...]

Yes I have cycled through a bunch of symptoms. From palpitations to insomnia to adrenaline surges.etc.

But those stopped. I am now dealing with mental symptoms like fear 'anxiety and hypersensitivity.

This time in my depression I went through a weird morphing of symptoms over a couple of months. Started with head congestion, muscle aches and flu type symptoms to settle into depression, fear and morning dread towards the end.

The first sign of the AD working for me is order. It brings order to the symptoms and gives the day a predictable flow, even if the days are still bad. Without AD, the days are disorderly -- a good day, then 3 bad days, then a good day ...

Could you shed more light on hypothyroidism and are the medications for a lifetime.?How is the test done too.?

It's done by a simple blood test --

Blood Tests: Hypothyroidism can be detected by different blood tests.

TSH Test.  A thyroid-stimulating hormone or TSH is a blood test that measures the amount of T4 (thyroxine) that the thyroid is being signaled to make. If you have an abnormally high level of TSH, it could mean you have hypothyroidism.

T4 (thyroxine) Test. The thyroid gland produces T4 (thyroxine). The free T4 and the free T4 index are blood tests that, in combination with a TSH test, can let your physician know how your thyroid is functioning.

TSH normal range is < 4 mU/L for normal people. But for people with depression, it's < 3 uM/L

Mine was 6.8 mU/L

You are supposed to monitor your thyroid levels every 3 months after starting thyroid medication. The doctor may suspend medication for some time (or stop it) depending on your progress. Many people take it for life.

Here, read this (or google thyroid and depression) -- https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.17080949

This time in my depression I went through a weird morphing of symptoms over a couple of months. Started with head congestion, muscle aches and flu type symptoms to settle into depression, fear and morning dread towards the end.

The first sign of the AD working for me is order. It brings order to the symptoms and gives the day a predictable flow, even if the days are still bad. Without AD, the days are disorderly -- a good day, then 3 bad days, then a good day ...

It's done by a simple blood test --

Blood Tests: Hypothyroidism can be detected by different blood tests.

TSH Test.  A thyroid-stimulating hormone or TSH is a blood test that measures the amount of T4 (thyroxine) that the thyroid is being signaled to make. If you have an abnormally high level of TSH, it could mean you have hypothyroidism.

T4 (thyroxine) Test. The thyroid gland produces T4 (thyroxine). The free T4 and the free T4 index are blood tests that, in combination with a TSH test, can let your physician know how your thyroid is functioning.

TSH normal range is < 4 mU/L for normal people. But for people with depression, it's < 3 uM/L

Mine was 6.8 mU/L

You are supposed to monitor your thyroid levels every 3 months after starting thyroid medication. The doctor may suspend medication for some time (or stop it) depending on your progress. Many people take it for life.

Here, read this (or google thyroid and depression) -- https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.17080949

Will look into that if it don't ease up.

Bexlan: I'm sorry I didn't get around to responding ...I hadn't come back to this thread till now.

Blue waters spoke accurately for me. I am med free now and am doing better for it.

For 8 years lexapro did work great for me ( except for the weight gain and sleepiness), but a nightmare followed after it pooped out (see my signature).

Aside from the benzo waves (which can be super intense), I can laugh and smile again. I am able to start thinking into the future again.

I get benzo depression..it likes to pair up with other things in a wave, but it lifts so thats how I know its the benzos. Also realize there is situational depression in this recovery bc lets face it - it can strip you of the life you had and getting back to it feels like it will never happen. But when we start to see positive changes that kind of depression will lift.

I can only speak of my experience. I wish the best for you!

Bexlan: I'm sorry I didn't get around to responding ...I hadn't come back to this thread till now.

Blue waters spoke accurately for me. I am med free now and am doing better for it.

For 8 years lexapro did work great for me ( except for the weight gain and sleepiness), but a nightmare followed after it pooped out (see my signature).

Aside from the benzo waves (which can be super intense), I can laugh and smile again. I am able to start thinking into the future again.

I get benzo depression..it likes to pair up with other things in a wave, but it lifts so thats how I know its the benzos. Also realize there is situational depression in this recovery bc lets face it - it can strip you of the life you had and getting back to it feels like it will never happen. But when we start to see positive changes that kind of depression will lift.

I understand. I am functional fully unlike the annoyances that still linger like morning pain. Some fear and low mood which lifts in the evening.

Thinking of going off prozac but having no guts for it.

Doctor wants me on it for 9 months sentence. Currently finished 4 months of it.

[31...]

Trin Trin,

I stopped my escitalopram two days ago.

P.S. I don't get SSRI withdrawals

edit: content

Hi all, so sorry for my delay in responding. I'm glad to see my post spurred a longer discussion. It's so easy at times to think we alone are the sole individuals going through something, so to see shared experiences is rather uplifting, in a way.

As an update, I ended up discontinuing Prozac entirely to begin on Lexapro 10 mg. I've taken it since 8/23, and can't say I feel much different yet. I have an appointment with my doc on Thursday, and I imagine he'll up the dose a bit.

TG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]