Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron for akathisia

[El...]

I need options. My akathisia is severe at 5 months off klonopin. It’s mostly mental mixed with internal vibrations. Horrible agitation. The “I want to rip my skin off” feeling.

I’ve read that Remeron can help at low doses. I don’t care about weight gain. I need to gain weight. But I do care about anything possibly making the akathisia worse.

Anyone use Remeron for akathisia? I need to do something. This isn’t sustainable.

I don't know about using it for akathisia. I was given it a 3 days and I was awake all night starving hungry. Like nonstop eating.

But maybe you could try posting in the Other Meds section?

There is probably more threads about it there to help you.

Elizabeth my akathisia lifted by itself at 8 months.

Can you tell me more? Was is severe? How did you cope? Did you ever try other meds during that time to help? Sorry for all the questions but I’m really suffering as you know :(

My akathisia was absolutely horrendous. Nothing helped. I tried meds out of desperation. The only med that gave me a tiny temporary relief was atarax and also cannabis helped some. But both were short lived and had side effects. After 8-9 months it went away by itself.

However, remeron was a nightmare. To be on, to get off of. Remeron withdrawal was a different kind of hell compared to the benzo withdrawal but I would not recommend it. Although, I've heard some people could get off of it just fine. But I wouldn't gamble.

My akathisia was absolutely horrendous. Nothing helped. I tried meds out of desperation. The only med that gave me a tiny temporary relief was atarax and also cannabis helped some. But both were short lived and had side effects. After 8-9 months it went away by itself.

However, remeron was a nightmare. To be on, to get off of. Remeron withdrawal was a different kind of hell compared to the benzo withdrawal but I would not recommend it. Although, I've heard some people could get off of it just fine. But I wouldn't gamble.

I see in your signature that you had akathisia and also crushing fatigue after. Mine is kind of mixed together. Waves of both. Just lately it’s been mostly akathisia. Was your experience similar?

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth,

Yes. Not me, though, a friend of mine, whose akathesia was brought on by a CT from Trintellix, made worse by polydrugging with multiple anti-psychotics. She was put on klonopin after several months of it, was finally able to sleep that way but was still suffering horribly during waking hours and had been for months. Within a couple days of very low-dose remeron, she was at least 95% better. We did a LOT of research before even asking a doc to let her try the remeron. Do keep in mind that the aka in this case was not caused by benzo withdrawal, even though there was k in the mix. It hasn't been long yet, maybe 10 days, so I can't predict long-term effects. The short-term effect was miraculous though, right now my friend will tell you that the remeron saved her life. She'd had the akathesia for almost 8 months already, couldn't do a thing, she couldn't even listen to music or watch TV. She's going back to work this week. I tell you this with the realization that the drug that saves one person may still hurt another, but it's perhaps worth knowing that there are some miraculous successes, at least so far. Wishing you speedy healing whatever you choose, may it be the very best choice for YOU.

If you choose to take it, please try to take the lowest dose possible. I believe it typically comes in pills of 15mg and 30mg so you might get started at 15mg quite typically. Remeron is a drug that will eventually need tapering if you take it regularly. Your future self will thank you the lower your dose. 7.5mg would be a better starting point and is definitely an active dose.

I know a little about Remeron, nothing about akathisia. I would be very against ever taking another psychiatric medication for myself but have no idea what my thinking would be if I had akathisia. I imagine it would make me change my stance a little. Remeron will make you eat and will make you sleep, almost guaranteed. The sedation is heavy and I imagine it would help with akathisia. If it helps immediately, I would, if I were you, keep it in reserve for a couple of times per month rather than taking it every day and giving yourself a problem to deal with in the future. Just be glad to have a tool you can use for occasional relief.

I know someone with very severe akathesia for 3 years who is still trying to taper who is on remeron.

It does nothing to help her aka.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]