Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

The effects of exercise

[It...]

Hi all,

I had a question about exercise, or if this has been answered somewhere else maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I've read alot about how exercise can be so critical for some during taper/post withdrawal. Why is this? I've recently been blessed with more windows then waves and I'm finding on my really bad days that a good run or bike ride really helps my symptoms. A few months ago I wouldn't have even dared tried to exercise like this in fear that it would just make things worse. How does exercise effect you?

I think exercise is probably going to be the best thing you can do for the body and mind while going thru recovery. I tried to exercise much as i can during taper and post and I didnt feel any benefits from it. For some reason it seems that the feel good hormone release from running made me feel uncomfortable and i felt more fatigued and just weird everytime i tried to exercise. Now at 4 months off I am feeling so much better while i exercise and i feel like exercising is the only way for me to get away from benzo induced stress and recovery. Most people that recovered suggests people to exercise or meditate also. I believe that the best thing you can do to help recovery is to find something that controls your thoughts. Many people who are experts in meditation can show you how one can take 100 percent control of every thought. I really dont like meditating or I havent tried much yet but I can see how meditation can help so much when used in daily practices. I came to a conclusion that the most happiest days of my life was the days I didnt think too much, and most of the thoughts I had was just positivity. Exercise helps you to be resistant to stress and pain and this alone should help and lead you to think more positive and negate unwanted thoughts. Also, it gives me a sense of purpose as to having better physique. And also aids me to eat more properly for better body. For some reason it seems that my body just have too much adrenaline built up and I just need to release it all so I can become more calmer after. But then overtraining can be devastating for benzo withdrawal so you should becareful.

I have wondered too about exercise,

I have been walking around the block since the end of my taper and post taper,

I have been building on it slowly but  I do think perhaps I have pushed too hard in recent weeks and today I have crashed,

I have been averaging  5-10 miles a day , and in my dreams has hoped to get back to my running which before valium used to really lift me . I do realize though that exercise in withdrawal can be over stimulating and ramp up symptoms. 

Probably best to do little and often and go with how you are recovering .

I would say for me it has kept my BP at a very healthy young person level even though 75  years old, and pulse is normal , too,  my cholesterol has dropped to normal from in the higher range too,  so that has to be a positive,  but I do think a little caution is needed which perhaps I have not headed in recent time,  due to the compulsion to keep moving, 

So exercise for me is a yes, but maybe not exercise in excess until your body is ready.

Should heed my own advice really

Jen

Hi all,

I had a question about exercise, or if this has been answered somewhere else maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I've read alot about how exercise can be so critical for some during taper/post withdrawal. Why is this? I've recently been blessed with more windows then waves and I'm finding on my really bad days that a good run or bike ride really helps my symptoms. A few months ago I wouldn't have even dared tried to exercise like this in fear that it would just make things worse. How does exercise effect you?

It’s answered in every book on healthy living. Exercise is good for you.