Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Silent reflux problems

[Ka...]

Hi I'm wondering if there are others here who are suffering from silent reflux.  Ive had it very bad for the last month or so, i'm 26 months after stopping benzos, and was doing really well improving fast up until 3 months ago, when I got sick with flu, and ended up having to self treat as I couldn't get into any doctor's office, they would only see me on telehealth because of covid, they prescribed me several courses of abx over telehealth without testing me, and I ended up in a terrible setback from azithromycin.Only to find out later  when i was finally able to be seen that I had a bad case of flu. It's been 2.5 months since I took that azithromycin, and i'm suffering badly. i think the antibiotics messed up my stomack very badly, so right after I stopped them, i had terrible stomack issues, that I had to treat with famotidine. I started taking 20 mg twice a day, and have been taking them ever since. I tried to reduce the dose, but every time I did my stomack would go right back to burning. My stomack finally settled down, i stopped experiencing any more discomfort, but also stopped trying to quit famotodine for now, decided to wait till i'm more stable. I'm also now on trazodone to help me sleep, whereas just 3 months ago I was off all meds, and in a good physical shape.. Now this last month I started developing what I thought at first were bad allergies, with terrible post nasal drip, sore throat, hoarse voice, and a lot of bad coughing, main?ly caused by post nasal drip. I tried to treat allergies with a bunch of supplements and with loratidine, but nothing worked.. Then I finally had a day when i had a little bit of an upset stomack and I took some dgl, and I suddenly noticed that it helped my cough too, i didn't have as much cough that day.. Long story short, I've come to realize that I probably developed silent reflux with no other sx than what I described, but those sx are making me miserable, so i've decided to self treat myself.. and i got some gastro -ease tabs ( zinc/carnitine) and dgl, and started them two days ago.. I also put a wedge under the head of my bed, hoping that will help with the reflux. My questions is for those who are dealing with GI issues? do you think i gave myself the right diagnosis? or does it sound like the right diagnosis based on my symptoms, also is it ok to take zinc-carnitine and dgl alongside famotidine?  am I doing everything I can or do you think there's anything else I can do to help the reflux? I would really appreciate any ideas and input.

Hi KathyM,

I'm sorry you've been through a flu during this pandemic, and then developed digestive issues - so stressful.  Unfortunately

no one on the forum can help you diagnose medical problems or give medical advice - it's against forum policy.  The policy helps protect members and helps ensure members seek appropriate medical attention and opinion.

Please contact your medical team with your current issues, questions and concerns. 

Once you receive an opinion or diagnosis from your medical provider feel free to ask members what has helped them.

Thanks for understanding.  Take care,

Brighterday

Okay thank you for pointing that out Brighterday, I guess let me just reword my question: what would you do for silent reflux if you had it?