Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anybody else with long tail covid

[do...]

I've had covid for almost 2 months and it's getting me down.

I've gone through the loss is taste and smell and difficulty of breathing phases but am left with a fever which comes on after eating and drinking anything.

Has anyone else got the the same problem? Would be interesting to know what coping strategies you are using.

I gave up taking paracetamol because they had no effect. Not sure about ibuprofen or other NSAIDs, one school of thought says you should let the fever rage because it is not actually a bad thing in medical terms.

There are stronger NSAIDs but am reluctant to take for similar reasons

I joined two coronavirus support groups. One had not a single active member. The other was a horrific list if individuals listing all their weird symptoms with no advice offered by anyone. Hopefully I'll have more luck here in terms of advice and support.

Thanks for reading

I can't give you any advice but I do know that the effects of COVID can linger, which can be frustrating and depressing. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  This virus doesn't play fair.'

I hope you start to feel better soon.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thank you for your very kind reply pianogirl.  :)

That's the kind of support we need. I'm glad I joined here.

I saw a segment on the news last night about support groups springing up for those suffering COVID symptoms for longer than the rest, I'm sorry to hear some of them aren't comforting.  You've been hit with a double whammy, lingering COVID and benzo's, I'm glad you found us, I hope we can help you feel less alone.  :smitten:

I got the virus mid March, the cold sx was bad for the first week and lingered here and there for 2 more weeks but the new neurological sx and worsening old bwd sx just don't lift until month 3 then I got a second milder infection by just talking to my neighbor for couple minutes. This time the cold sx is milder and shorter but again my wd sx was ramped up even worse. 

Are you still tapering or off benzo? Did you feel any worsening wd?

Hello Pamster

Thanks for the links

The Body Politik (Slack) was one I joined but quit immediately. The idea is great but in practice it was folk with health anxiety just ranting off about brain damage theories etc. Which is things most of us don't want to hear about. I think a non- specialized support group like here is far better. You just want some one to offer you a bit if sympathy

Hello 4mom

Sorry I don't understand your post what is sx and bmd I'm not from USA

I haven't started benzo taper yet

dondi

Hello Pamster

Thank you for the explanation! The lady's post makes sense now.

This is only opinion mine but I think a lot of the 'strange symptoms' that long tail sufferers describe are not physical but anxiety symptoms. Of course the covid can have knock-on effects on other parts of the body but we would expect them to be uniform I think (but don't really know).

Let's hope that some bright young virologues student at Oxford hits on a cure soon or some of us have a lot of suffering in front of us for a while.

Presumably, a vaccine would be a cure for folks with covid in addition to a prevention? I should know the answer because I used to be nurse and gave many vaccines for flu etc. But with covid I don't know anything except that I don't like having it so long 😭

I am following this nit because had COVID but because had ME/CFS since 1996 & a portion of COVID patients will develop ME/CFS as happened post SARS etc.

There is a refusal in post COVID patients to accept that ME causes anything more than fatigue: it does.

Hopefully your symptoms will ease and go away.

Don’t push yourself AT ALL if you feel ill. That is how you end up with ME/CFS for life.

Paul Garner is writing about his experience in BMJ: https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/06/23/paul-garner-covid-19-at-14-weeks-phantom-speed-cameras-unknown-limits-and-harsh-penalties/

[3d...]

Hello Pamster

Presumably, a vaccine would be a cure for folks with covid in addition to a prevention? I should know the answer because I used to be nurse and gave many vaccines for flu etc. But with covid I don't know anything except that I don't like having it so long 😭

If you were really a nurse giving vaccines, then you would know that vaccines don't cure a disease, they prevent or minimize a diseases that the vaccine is targeting from happening. You should not be going around pretending to be a nurse. It's really evident that you don't have a clue about anything related to health care.

"Vaccines prevent diseases that can be dangerous, or even deadly. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of infection by working with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease. This fact sheet explains how the body fights infection and how vaccines work to protect people by producing immunity."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1n8hXXk_ZJtbiu7yfGW9sUiIiIsK68HVgASBrFQreMogRqIcyP8bVtBFY

There are no therapeutic vaccines, so far, that can be used to treat a disease but researchers are working on them.

"While traditional vaccines are designed to prevent disease, researchers are working on something new: therapeutic vaccines, vaccinations that treat an illness after you have it."

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/features/treating-disease-with-vaccines#1

Perhaps just that one word 

" therapeutic "

was what was meant in relation to vaccines.  :thumbsup:   

we are all different

and speak or use  different languages to express ourselves  :thumbsup:

even live in different countries and cultures

and think and interpret things in different ways also,

especially when illness is present, Covid or benzo withdrawal symptoms,

or any other medical problems

and we  should  all make allowances for that.

No one has all the answers.  :thumbsup:

and discussions  should accomodate the many differing opinions,

and help and support others whom post.

[3d...]

Hello Pamster

If you were really a nurse giving vaccines, then you would know that vaccines don't cure a disease, they prevent or minimize a diseases that the vaccine is targeting from happening. You should not be going around pretending to be a nurse. It's really evident that you don't have a clue about anything related to health care.

"Vaccines prevent diseases that can be dangerous, or even deadly. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of infection by working with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease. This fact sheet explains how the body fights infection and how vaccines work to protect people by producing immunity."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/downloads/vacsafe-understand-color-office.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1n8hXXk_ZJtbiu7yfGW9sUiIiIsK68HVgASBrFQreMogRqIcyP8bVtBFY

There are no therapeutic vaccines, so far, that can be used to treat a disease but researchers are working on them.

"While traditional vaccines are designed to prevent disease, researchers are working on something new: therapeutic vaccines, vaccinations that treat an illness after you have it."

Perhaps just that one word 

" therapeutic "

was what was meant in relation to vaccines.  :thumbsup:   

we are all different

and speak or use  different languages to express ourselves  :thumbsup:

even live in different countries and cultures

and think and interpret things in different ways also,

especially when illness is present, Covid or benzo withdrawal symptoms,

or any other medical problems

and we  should  all make allowances for that.

No one has all the answers.  :thumbsup:

and discussions  should accomodate the many differing opinions,

and help and support others whom post.

The original poster didn't mean it in the way you are portraying it, he wrote cure so nice try with the semantics. It's not just this one post, it's many other posts where he's pretending to be a nurse, and on one he was pretending to be a naturopath.

ok eric. 

we all see things differently and make assumptions way to often

Definition of therapeutic.

: of or relating to the treatment of disease

or disorders by remedial agents or methods :

Synonym

curative        :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input Skye  :thumbsup:

When I worked as a nurse (a while back) the virologues were working on vaccines what could cure as well as prevent but I got no idea how far they have came.

I used to hate giving vaccines. Fainting and vomiting were far more common than you would expect.

I hope and pray that some clever PhD student working in Oxford or Paris or anywhere for that matter can come up with a therapeutic gig for the coonies. It's going to take something radically different

Hello Pamster

Not nice, Eric.

Hello Pamster

Not nice, Eric.

Betsy,

I know you are not around much these days going about enjoying your benzo free healthy life. There is 'history' here that you have missed in terms of inappropriate forum behavior and inappropriate posting by some people bringing up sensational and crazy conspiracy theories.  Eric has been responding with many good scientific articles to provide accurate information to our members.

I find it a scary scenario if 1/3 of the population chooses not to have a COVID vaccine, when there is a safe and effective one available.

PG

I’m sorry, PG. I meant no harm intentionally. My sincere apologies, Eric.  :)

No problem Betsy, I was just trying to give you a little history.

There's a Britdaily calledGuardian - Ajusta posted a useful link - which is carrying articles on longtail covid sufferers with a long list of additional symptoms. This may be interesting for folk who are healthy but is scary if you got already the longtail gig.

A lot of the symptoms are weird and I never got. Many sound to me like  typical anxiety symptoms which you are bound to get if you start to worry too much why the damn symptoms won't go away. They might also be symptoms unconnected with the virus but easy to lump onto it.

My only remaining symptom is fever. Enough to stop me doing anything strenuous. Paracetamol and ibuprofen don't work. The stronger nsaids work but I don't want to take.

So today I took a benzo, having come off K a month ago, as an experiment. well I'll be the first woman on Mars. It actually helped. No idea how, unless it placatesvthe brain machanism which regulates body temp. I'm not enough of a neuropathy expert to know. Maybe I still had a fever but never felt it.

I am NOT recommending this as a treatment but as a once a week treat maybe I may try one again. I am confident I will not get back on the slippery benzo slope again. Three times on it and don't want to go through all that tapering nonsense agaim

Has any folk heard of Veklury? It is an ebola drug made in USA by company called Gilead.

They think it might help help covid but very expensive - a 5 day supply for one patient cost 4000 euros!

I think it is drug you should take when you first get infection but don't knowv

Has any folk heard of Veklury? It is an ebola drug made in USA by company called Gilead.

They think it might help help covid but very expensive - a 5 day supply for one patient cost 4000 euros!

I think it is drug you should take when you first get infection but don't knowv

wikipedia discusses Veklury (Remdesivir): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remdesivir