Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hair changes? Women/men?

[Co...]

I see my hair everywhere around the house.  It feels dry, and terrible condition.  Anyone else.  Sorry I post alot but this is all kind of freaking me out.

Over two tapers hair loss like shedding dog. Hair is past shoulders normally. A compromised thyroid will cause lots of hair shedding. Chemo causes hair loss as drugs affect rapidly dividing cells like hair follicles. Inability to absorb good fats will also make hair dry, brittle- thanks Benzo belly.  If you look up "alopecia," you get the same line of, "Gee we just don't know."

I take lots of Non-flush niacin for WD. 500-1000mg at a time routinely and additional for anxiety.  Benefit is helps hair growth. Both times got spontaneous sprouting all at once as closer to the end. Currently have "baby hairs" about 2-3" long. Looks like a Chia pet.  :laugh:

Have a friend who did mild chemo cream for sun spots. Lots of hair loss with breaking off. Doing the niacin with same results.

Low biotin can also cause hair problems.  You can get it measured.  I think it is B7, not sure.

Gabapentin reduces biotin.  Mine is low unless I supplement and even though I supplement, between gabapentin and

past benzo use I still have a problem but it is one of my lesser issues at this point.

Thank you.  I may try biotin or niacin but am worried it may cause more issues.  Just had blood work done at hospital does anyone know if they check thyroid?  Agree one of the lesser issues here too but was just curious

Unfortunately for thyroid, usually test only TSH thyroid stimulating hormone. Not real helpful as it can be "normal" while tissue levels are low. Need full panel to assess.

http://www.tiredthyroid.com/when-labs.html

Non-flush niacin has never given me adverse reactions and I'm pretty drug sensitive. It was used by Dr. A Hoffer, a Canadian psychiatrist,  as part of his WD protocol. Think biotin is probably same.