Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need Taper Help with a schedule

[Bo...]

Hello I am trying to get off Xanax after 16 years and I need help! Currently I am taking 1.5mg at bed and occasionally I have to take.25 or .50 mg during the day! Can y’all please help me with a way to taper off and still remain Sain!

[d6...]

It's a simple matter to generate a taper on a schedule, but nobody knows what you're personally up against.  Some people are able to taper pretty quickly.  Some must go very slowly.  The only person that can judge how you're doing is you.

We suggest a tapering rate of 5-10 percent every couple of weeks.  It's a good place to start.  Then see how you do after a cut or two.  If the cut was really easy, then you're good for the next cut.  If it's really difficult, then cut less next time (or hold for a while).

There are a few xlsx spreadsheets and web sites out there to help with tapering, but I'd again invite you to not get too attached to a schedule.  We've seen people push too hard to stay on a contrived schedule, and I think it can lead to undo suffering.

Before you begin a taper you might want to get on a consistent dose each day so you would probably need to figure out if you can get away without taking your daytime doses or find the lowest you can take and stick with that for a few days to see if it is manageable.