Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Uncharted waters

[po...]

I don't personally take benzodiazepine, nor have I done so in the past. That may disqualify me, but I have started dating a girl who is using them. I want to know how I can help her, if at all, and what I need to be prepared for in a relationship that involves this drug. If you don't feel I'm suitable for this forum, I understand, but hopefully I can join and get assistance navigating these uncharted waters.

Hello pocketsnack,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  You are doing a very good thing by wanting to become educated about benzos.

Long term benzo use is not recommended, it can lead to a physical dependency and for some people, withdrawal from this class of drugs can be very challenging. Studies have shown that benzos can cause memory and cognitive issues as well as other negative effects.

Ultimately it will be your girlfriends decision in terms of whether she wants to discontinue their use.  She has to decide and be committed to the process. 

I'll give you a link the Ashton Manual. Although it discusses tapering in detail, it also gives good information about the withdrawal process in general. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

Settle in and do some reading. You can also ask questions of our members who will share their experience and collective knowledge. 

Thanks for being here.

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)