Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Metallic taste!! Talk me down!!

[do...]

Howdy, fellow sufferers--

Today's rant concerns the metallic taste I've had in my mouth 24/7 for 5-6 months. I chewed sugar-free gum but had to stop because my jaws ached. I

I use sugar-free cough drops now but they cause intestinal distress. Stevia-sweetened products cost an arm & a leg since Covid-19 allowed prices to be jacked.

PLEASE. If anyone reading has had long-term "metal mouth" I'd really appreciate some reassurance that it ends--sometime.

On a more upbeat note, reading what others suffer during post-withdrawal makes me aware that my puny discomforts are just that--puny.

In closing, I'd like to say that I only realized I'd recently had a short but pleasant Window when it came crashing down about 2 weeks ago. This leads me to conclude that without Waves, we would have no Windows. Sigh. This may or may not be a comforting thought. I'm too confused to know.

Thanks for any observations, my friends.

I don't remember a metallic taste but I certainly had a dry mouth, plus dry eyes.  I can't offer you any insight as to when it will end but everything resolved when I recovered, so hopefully this annoying symptom will leave you soon.

I love your observation about windows and waves and I'm glad you had one, here's to another one right around the corner.  :thumbsup:

Blechhh!  The constant taste + smell was indescribable(not exactly metal for me) and completely overloaded my sensory input.  It was at least a solid month of being almost completely unable to taste anything else, before it slowly started to diminish in severity. Three months later, I still have it sporadically but to a much lesser degree.  The only relief I found was in capsaicin.  I periodically put Medium hot sauce on my tongue in order to cut through the tastebuds messing with my senses.  Ice cream was also somewhat effective but much more expensive and less healthy. It seems like the added hot or cold sensation helped beat out the locked in Taste sensory signal.

Sorry, I still need to do a signature.  10 + years of Both Klonopin and Xanax - last dose 5/11/20  for reference.

It has a fancy name -dysgeusia.

This is from Cleveland Clinic- 8 possible causes of metallic taste. One is "anti anxiety" drugs.

"Prescription drugs – These medicines include antibiotics such as tetracycline; the gout medicine allopurinol; lithium, which is used to treat certain psychiatric conditions; and some cardiac medications. Your body absorbs the medicine and it comes out in the saliva. Also, medicines that can cause a dry mouth, such as antidepressants, can be a culprit. These can affect your taste because they close your taste buds."

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/8-possible-causes-for-that-metallic-taste-in-your-mouth/

There are natural remedies which often involve rinsing the mouth. On this post, it also lists ACV. Might want to pass on that one as fermented.                https://diyremedies.org/metallic-taste-in-the-mouth/

Hope that helps.

Anyone Also have soapy smell/taste and altered sensation in mouth - like all too slimy, big, distant?

All food feels repulsive in mouth - textures all wring as well as not tasting right or lacking taste.