Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

how long is the recovery?

[ad...]

I am 4 months off from Valium use of 7.8 yrs. This includes the 8 month taper. at 4 months off, I feel like im doing relatively well during the windows. I got some of my feelings toward women back. I am looking forward for my future and new start. I feel like I can control my windows. I get 8-9 hrs of sleep a day. I run for maybe 1 hr everyday with some HIIT exercise 2-3 days a week. I feel like my depression gets lifted when I run and I feel great while doing so. I am also doing the keto diet and it seems to help me feel better. There are also the days where I sleep little and my sleep patterns do change. During those days my symptoms seem to be bad. On a good slept day with exercise, my window is about 5-6hrs and Im right back into the wave. I have fatigue, brain fog, some cognitive impairment, dr, and a little bit of head pressure. I do feel that these symptoms did get a little better. Morning anxiety is not as bad and I don't mind it anymore. I would like to know what is the average healing time for the many and when is it not benzo withdrawal anymore? I am also worried if going on a benzo withdrawal is actually harmful to ourselves perhaps because of neurotoxcity that is happening in the brain which makes it harmful. And why arnt so many doctors educated with benzo.. I mean its been around for so many decades. Wouldnt the government know that there is a such thing as benzo withdrawal? I dont understand why clinics only do 1-2 month taper for such a long time. Is it because the majority of people heal fast and only a very small amount of people suffer for a long time? I try to bring in hope into this recovery but its hard to keep up a positive mindset 24/7 365 days.

Adrian,

Lots of good questions. Have you read The Ashton Manual and the two threads at the top of this page from Sofakingdone and Parker? You’ll get a lot of answers there.

You’ll read that you are a ‘protracted’ case at 18 months so if you are looking for averages then it has to be shorter than that period. Even though I still get bits and bobs at 21 months off I don’t see myself as suffering any more. It’s been getting better constantly for a year now.

Live healthily and wait it out is the only way.

Good luck,

G

I am 4 months off from Valium use of 7.8 yrs. This includes the 8 month taper. at 4 months off, I feel like im doing relatively well during the windows. I got some of my feelings toward women back. I am looking forward for my future and new start. I feel like I can control my windows. I get 8-9 hrs of sleep a day. I run for maybe 1 hr everyday with some HIIT exercise 2-3 days a week. I feel like my depression gets lifted when I run and I feel great while doing so. I am also doing the keto diet and it seems to help me feel better. There are also the days where I sleep little and my sleep patterns do change. During those days my symptoms seem to be bad. On a good slept day with exercise, my window is about 5-6hrs and Im right back into the wave. I have fatigue, brain fog, some cognitive impairment, dr, and a little bit of head pressure. I do feel that these symptoms did get a little better. Morning anxiety is not as bad and I don't mind it anymore. I would like to know what is the average healing time for the many and when is it not benzo withdrawal anymore? I am also worried if going on a benzo withdrawal is actually harmful to ourselves perhaps because of neurotoxcity that is happening in the brain which makes it harmful. And why arnt so many doctors educated with benzo.. I mean its been around for so many decades. Wouldnt the government know that there is a such thing as benzo withdrawal? I dont understand why clinics only do 1-2 month taper for such a long time. Is it because the majority of people heal fast and only a very small amount of people suffer for a long time? I try to bring in hope into this recovery but its hard to keep up a positive mindset 24/7 365 days.

Cardio has been my saving grace. I started running at around 4/5 months out & haven’t stopped since. I personally believe it’s done absolute wonders for my recovery. From months 6 through 14 I was running around 12 to 18 miles a week as well as lifting 3-5 days a week. I’m currently at my 18 month mark & haven’t had a wave that’s lasted more than a couple hours for months. I feel as if I’m around 98/99% healed at that by the 2 year mark the majority of symptoms I have left will b gone. Clean diet, regular exercise, keeping busy, pushing myself & a positive outlook have been the foundation of my recovery. I know for a fact that making these habits a routine? Have been nothing but beneficial. So much so that I don’t even think about whatever symptoms arise in relation to “benzo withdrawal”. Yes I still get bouts of anxiety & mild cortisol rushes when pushing myself too hard but I know exactly how to combat them when they do come about.  I remember when I first CT’d, I thought I had done irreversible damage to myself. To the point to where I had believed I was always going to be a shell of my former self. But I didn’t hold on to this belief. And I’m extremely glad that I didn’t. At only 18 month’s, there’s nothing I feel like I couldn’t handle or endure after going through what I have.  This shit doesn’t last forever. Things do get better. Definitely not at the speed you would think or on a timeline that seems logical, but that still doesn’t mean the don’t. I realize everyone heals differently but don’t let these symptoms control every aspect of your life. Find what works for you & then focus on those things that help bring you even the slightest bit of relief on a daily basis. As you find more & more of those, pretty soon your days will b filled with things that provide relief instead of focused on how you’re feeling or the things that don’t. Hope this can help in some way, all the best in healing.

Cardio has been my saving grace. I started running at around 4/5 months out & haven’t stopped since. I personally believe it’s done absolute wonders for my recovery. From months 6 through 14 I was running around 12 to 18 miles a week as well as lifting 3-5 days a week. I’m currently at my 18 month mark & haven’t had a wave that’s lasted more than a couple hours for months. I feel as if I’m around 98/99% healed at that by the 2 year mark the majority of symptoms I have left will b gone. Clean diet, regular exercise, keeping busy, pushing myself & a positive outlook have been the foundation of my recovery. I know for a fact that making these habits a routine? Have been nothing but beneficial. So much so that I don’t even think about whatever symptoms arise in relation to “benzo withdrawal”. Yes I still get bouts of anxiety & mild cortisol rushes when pushing myself too hard but I know exactly how to combat them when they do come about.  I remember when I first CT’d, I thought I had done irreversible damage to myself. To the point to where I had believed I was always going to be a shell of my former self. But I didn’t hold on to this belief. And I’m extremely glad that I didn’t. At only 18 month’s, there’s nothing I feel like I couldn’t handle or endure after going through what I have.  This shit doesn’t last forever. Things do get better. Definitely not at the speed you would think or on a timeline that seems logical, but that still doesn’t mean the don’t. I realize everyone heals differently but don’t let these symptoms control every aspect of your life. Find what works for you & then focus on those things that help bring you even the slightest bit of relief on a daily basis. As you find more & more of those, pretty soon your days will b filled with things that provide relief instead of focused on how you’re feeling or the things that don’t. Hope this can help in some way, all the best in healing.

Thank you for this post. You are amazing!