Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

SSRI

[00...]

[00...]

Does anyone think that an SSRI is necessary for SEVERE and long-lasting symptoms?  I have 0 functioning and 100% mentally disabled.  Every second I have racing thoughts and looping thoughts. Severe hyperawareness of every thought.

I would like to hear your opinions.  I have spoken to many people now who went on an SSRI and it helped tremendously.

Hi perth,

It sounds like you're already leaning towards taking an SSRI since you've talked with many people about this, maybe it's time to talk to your Dr about it.

Pamster

[00...]

Hi perth,

It sounds like you're already leaning towards taking an SSRI since you've talked with many people about this, maybe it's time to talk to your Dr about it.

Pamster

I would like to hear other's experiences and opinions.  Those that started an SSRI were not this severe so I don't know if I'm setting myself up for failure.

[f2...]

I know this is not what you want to hear but...here I go.

You have to do what is best for you...some antidepressants help people through this nightmare, it aggravates others.  I have read in the Ashton manual that antidepressants can help patients because well, symptoms of depression do appear.  Medication is not a bad option if it helps.  I wish it helped me, I would not be where I am if it did...instead I am stuck in benzo withdrawal hell like yourself, with nothing to help me but time.  Thank goodness for my life saving benzo buddies because without all of you well, this would be WAY harder.

I know it is incredibly hard, but for me, once I started learning to play tennis last month, I started feeling better.  And I am horrible but I was anxious on the court thinking OMG I’m going to panic.  And well, I did not panic LoL.  I was So exhausted I thought I would collapse, well...that did not happen either.  Now, I look forward to moving and sweating.  I know my limits and do not push too hard but it’s great fun for me.  I get some sunshine, spend time with my bestie who’s 89, we look after each other.  I take him shopping, we do yard work, whatever he needs...we eat breakfast together Mon-Fri.  Anyway, he throws the balls over the net for me and I hit them here there and everywhere lol...so I guess maybe I am getting tennis lessons more than playing but whatever it’s still fun.

I notice that things are clearer for me when I sweat do hard work etc., even though I prefer to lay in bed and feel sorry for myself.  Especially because my career is in the toilet at the moment.  There is no possible way I would handle the stress of teaching these days.  Actually a chairperson called me and offered several courses to teach and I had to respectfully decline.  Absolutely a tremendous disappointment.  I wanted nothing more than to be a professional...now I am disabled!  Freak my life.

Well what is my point here, this process is rough, it’s painful.  But if some medicine might help you, take the time to research it and speak with your doctor.  It seems you may have a doctor that is understanding so reach out.  Best of luck, and do what’s best for you.  ❤️

Does anyone think that an SSRI is necessary for SEVERE and long-lasting symptoms?  I have 0 functioning and 100% mentally disabled.  Every second I have racing thoughts and looping thoughts. Severe hyperawareness of every thought.

I would like to hear your opinions.  I have spoken to many people now who went on an SSRI and it helped tremendously.

Perth-

I've recently decided to go back on an SSRI (Paxil) to see if it will ease the anxiety.

Presently, I'm ramping the dosage up rather slowly, over a month's time, only by 5mg (daily dosage) per week until I reach 20mg .  My reasoning to go back on Paxil is that it did an effective job of suppressing the anxiety side effect of the Glipizide I was taking at the time, 2 years ago.

My backstory here=>http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=208099.msg2689191#msg2689191. Would be happy to elaborate if you have any more questions.

It's definitely possible that an SSRI could help you.  I went on an SSRI because of what I think was benzo caused depression.  It did help me feel better, especially for the first two-three months.  Then it leveled off, and I switched SSRIs a few times and then finally went off them, cause all I was getting was side effects.  Everyone is different with these things. 

[00...]

Thanks for the replies. I am torn between what to do.

What I am experiencing isn't something I can just push through and wait out.

Read some of my previous posts and you will see I am desperate.

[00...]

Are you still taking Remeron? I’ve seen many folks take that to help with BWD.

I'm tapering off. It didn't help at all.

Lexapro saved my life. I started at 1.25 mg daily and went up by 1.25mg weekly until I hit 10mg. 3 months in my rumination and anxiety is gone. Start low and go slow. It saved my life!!!!!

[00...]

Lexapro saved my life. I started at 1.25 mg daily and went up by 1.25mg weekly until I hit 10mg. 3 months in my rumination and anxiety is gone. Start low and go slow. It saved my life!!!!!

Thanks for the response.  According to your other posts you are still having a lot of problems?

So ur sig says U don’t know what symptom is what, and ur currently tapering Rameron.

Yet ur considering another med????

Seems like a supremely bad idea to me.

Just because u are “desperate” doesn’t mean you shouldn’t push through.....

[00...]

So ur sig says U don’t know what symptom is what, and ur currently tapering Rameron.

Im tapering remeron and pushing through but I'm suffering horribly 24/7 for 18 months now. It's every second torture.

Just be very careful Itried two SSRI's made me lot worse and gave me more symptoms. Isn't Remeron an ani depressant think they can take up to 3 months to start working. Have you tried any psychotherapy?

Im tapering remeron and pushing through but I'm suffering horribly 24/7 for 18 months now. It's every second torture.

I don't want to minimise your suffering but you're less than 6 months off a benzo while tapering remeron. It's not expected that you'd be feeling anything other than dreadful. If it's a priority to get off the remeron because it makes you feel so bad, then doesn't that give you some hope? Endure this now in the likelihood that you'll see some improvement soon? Alternatively, you could take a break from your remeron taper, if it's not poisoning you too much to keep taking it, and hope that gives you some relief.

The reason I would caution against taking an SSRI, apart from having a similar experience to others here (would never have taken a benzo if not for bad reaction to SSRI), is you're so close to knowing what medfree is really like that it seems a huge shame not to give it a chance. So much can change in the space of a few months but going on an SSRI resets the clock. You could start taking an SSRI and it might work for you. The best that can probably happen is you're moving the problem to the future when you might better be able to deal with it. It might be necessary to try that if you're out of options. But it's no guarantee that it'll work and you don't know whether you will be putting the breaks on a full recovery, which might be closer than you believe.

Whatever you do, you're in a tough situation and you need to not give yourself a hard time about the choices you make.

[00...]

SSRI's are what got me on benzos in the first place. Severe anxiety. I would avoid.

Hey Man. Yeah I know it's not the best idea but I'm desperate. It doesn't seem like this ever ends.

Edit: Content

[00...]

SSRI's are what got me on benzos in the first place. Severe anxiety. I would avoid.

Live. Did you develop "new" mental symtpoms and stuff very far out.

Yes I’m still having problems but lots have gone away And or lessened since about 3 months into starting lexapro.

Live. Did you develop "new" mental symtpoms and stuff very far out.

My mental symptoms were ever-changing for the first two years, man. It was constantly a new fixation, a new sensation, a new fear, a new obsession. Beyond my ability to comprehend or control.

I don't know if I ever had 'compulsions.' You can't really treat withdrawal symptoms are real OCD. I didn't have OCD prior to the benzos and SSRI's. I think it's more a case of extreme chemical anxiety brought on by the withdrawal. Because mine went away over time on it's own. Radical acceptance is key.

[00...]

I don't know if I ever had 'compulsions.' You can't really treat withdrawal symptoms are real OCD. I didn't have OCD prior to the benzos and SSRI's. I think it's more a case of extreme chemical anxiety brought on by the withdrawal. Because mine went away over time on it's own. Radical acceptance is key.

Compulsions would be like googling how weather works if your brain throw's that at you etc. Whatever you do to lessen the intrusive or looping thoughts.

[00...]

Which SSRI did you try LiveAboveIt?  It not humanely possible to keep going on like this for years.  If an SSRI worked I'm sure you would go on it?