Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Morning Anxiety

[Gw...]

Anyone else find that their anxiety is worst when they first get up? I'm experiencing this but can't decide if it's just an effect of morning duties (getting ready for work, taking kids to daycare, etc.) or if maybe it is something that occurs in the brain when we wake. It's almost as if my brain produces too much glutamate or adrenaline after I sleep or something. I experience this if I take a short nap as well.

It's manageable and seems to dissipate as the day goes on but I was just curious to see if anyone had any insight. I'm 29 days benzo/Z drug free as of today and not taking any sleep aids.

Yes and, IMO, has a great deal to do with cortisol:

In most people, cortisol levels are highest in the morning when they wake up and lowest around midnight. Your body also pumps out excess cortisol when you're anxious or under intense stress, which can affect your health if the levels stay too high for too long.

University of Rochester › urmc

IMO, if our cortisol levels are highest in the AM and our neurotransmitters are out of sync, our other bodily systems will be greatly impacted as well.  Just my 2 cents worth.  I don’t take anything for sleep but use a weighted blanket and it definitely helps calm my CNS.

Awesome that you’re med free!!

We have more cortisol just before we wake up early morning.  It’s to prepare the body for waking up.  Physiological symptom.  Your body is still trying to regulate.

I love my weighted blanket!  It’s been one of the best things I’ve used for sleep.  It calms the central nervous system and I def feel better when I wake up in the morning.  My sleep is so much deeper. 

Very interesting, thanks for the insight. I really suspected something like cortisol was suspect. Not sure why, I just "felt" like it was something of that nature. Does anyone know if this is something that should improve over time? I know everyone is different, just curious if I should change my morning routine permanently or just wait it out. It's manageable, I would just prefer to be a little less wired and grumpy in the am.

Also, I am definitely going to try the weighted blanket. My wife uses one but I've never tried it.

Like every other symptom, it’s hard to say how long it will last. It’s a W/D symptom, and, as we know; we do heal which dissipates all symptoms.

I hate the way it feels also, but I tell myself “you’re okay, this is part of W/D.” This is exactly what I do when a traumatic memory pops up. (The body stays in flight, fight, or freeze if that trauma isn’t processed). 

I just keep going as I normally would and practice acceptance with symptoms as they ebb and flow throughout the day.  (Now 10 days Benzo-free)

Morning anxiety was probably one of my worst symptoms during taper and withdrawal. it was unbearable for many months. it would take a few hours of agony before the negative feeling would dissipate.

it helped me having a routine that forced up and distracted me although it was the last thing I wanted to do.

it is a coman problem on this forum but it does eventually disappear. I wake up in a positive mood now and ready to take on the day.

if you use an alarm ,change the melody to something sooving to not give you a jolt first thing.

all the best

Andrew

Andrew,

I’ve only been here a short time, but appreciate your insight and grounded disposition.  You are truly using your challenges to help others.  Best.

Thanks keep moving,

Got to give back. The forum really helped me at my lowest and I do mean low.

there is a light at the end of this shocking tunnel.

Andrew