Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does anyone else have Paresthesia, and bad Itching from withdrawal?

[no...]

I'm tapering form Diazepam and have Paresthesia,, and bad Itching from withdrawal , tearing at my skin from the itching with it , and scratching myself raw does anyone have non drug remedies for it?

I'm too scared of drugs to try a anti histamine or anything of that nature as I'm hypersensitive, half a paracetamol did terrible things to me and that was a few year's ago after stopping all drugs except the Diazepam I'm tapering   

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Definitely with the itching. Particularly my shins. Actually I'm glad about that, because it's far worse on my shins than any other part of my body and I don't think I could stand it everywhere.

If I were you, I'd definitely try an antihistamine just to see if I could get some relief that way. I totally understand the reluctance and I don't like taking anything chronically either, but the OTC non-drowsy antihistamines are about as tame as it gets for a pharmaceutical. Something that you could do more regularly that I would try if I was facing the same problem as you, is use a soothing bath cream. If it was bad enough, I'd bathe twice a day.

You could look into a low histamine diet too. I would really struggle because apparently I like foods that are rich in histamine or have the effect of releasing histamine. On the other hand, if I was already completely desperate, I would be able to see that there would be a lot of room to cut down on the histamine and maybe that's where you're at? You can find out a lot quickly by Googling. I would not suggest going as far as sticking to a strict diet (but if that is your thing, go for it!) but simply trying to find an alternative to a couple of your staples that are histamine rich. It could make all the difference.

Definitely with the itching. Particularly my shins. Actually I'm glad about that, because it's far worse on my shins than any other part of my body and I don't think I could stand it everywhere.

If I were you, I'd definitely try an antihistamine just to see if I could get some relief that way. I totally understand the reluctance and I don't like taking anything chronically either, but the OTC non-drowsy antihistamines are about as tame as it gets for a pharmaceutical. Something that you could do more regularly that I would try if I was facing the same problem as you, is use a soothing bath cream. If it was bad enough, I'd bathe twice a day.

You could look into a low histamine diet too. I would really struggle because apparently I like foods that are rich in histamine or have the effect of releasing histamine. On the other hand, if I was already completely desperate, I would be able to see that there would be a lot of room to cut down on the histamine and maybe that's where you're at? You can find out a lot quickly by Googling. I would not suggest going as far as sticking to a strict diet (but if that is your thing, go for it!) but simply trying to find an alternative to a couple of your staples that are histamine rich. It could make all the difference.

Hi Bam,  :hug: I already eat a low histamine diet, I even tried cutting out all Oxalates & Salicylates , intermittent fasting,  eating window of 6 hours then only 2 hours eating window and one or two meals a day. ( Not a good idea in withdrawal but worth a shot) eating high quercetin foods.

Taking something to raise the DAO enzyme  in the stomach while eating to quell histamine as benzos practically shut it down and that's where the histamine problems come from, and supplements only work in the gut. They can't replenish your system, tried, gluten dairy free, still !"£$%?:!!

I then had to pull up as I ended up with a food phobia and was terrified of eating anything at all, and if you look at my journal according to me when I revv up I've blamed EVERYTHING that I've ever put in my mouth along the way but a lot of it i s just random when you look at it properly, what shafts me in most cases if I back off then try it again its not a problem at all the next time I try eating it.

BUT all this is also a sign of damaged nerves healing and the healing can be as bad or a LOT worse than the damage that's been done, I got this off a Neuro website

The symptoms of nerves healing as the nerve growth cones force their way through tissue, produce weird signal patterns until completely connected, and being interpreted by the brain as paraesthesias ("beyond the usual sensations") can be every bit as annoying and painful as those of nerves being damaged. In fact, many have said that repairing nerves recapitulate the symptoms of nerve damaging processes, with the difference being that the symptoms do tend to ease with time. It's hard to tell this except in long-term retrospect, however (the reason many people keep symptom diaries).

I've been through this on a number of occasions--often, the symptoms are strong enough it's hard to distinguish them from "flares". Exacerbated symptoms often start up suddenly and disappear just as suddenly.

Also, regrowing nerves are quite vulnerable to compressive forces--the nerve growth cone tips can be pressured easily as they pass around and through other tissue, and produce weird symptoms.  Regrowth can cause as much pain (& symptoms) as the PN damage,

and it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

Less than 10 days after my injury, upon admission to inpatient rehab in a new hospital, I was on my way to get X-rays when the technician started chatting with me. Although I was running a consistent 101 degree fever and still very heavily medicated, I was able to describe him the basics of my injury. “Do you have any burning yet?” he asked me, to which I told him no with a befuddled look. He followed up and said, “I’ve had nerve damage dude, it will heal over time but wait ’til you get the burning. That’s a trip.” A few weeks later, in mid-August, I realized what he meant and started to feel the burning in my forearms.

The vertebra I had broken in my accident were in charge of the nerves that run down the forearms and through the fingertips. As a result, the first signs of those nerves healing was an intense burning sensation through my arms and fingers. It’s difficult to describe exactly, but I would say it feels like a string that’s on fire running through the length of my forearm which then branches off into my fingers. The intense burning feels like it’s just below the surface of my skin, almost like an itch, so I naturally scratch that area thinking that it will help it somehow, but it never really does much. It occurs randomly, lasts for a few minutes but sometimes much longer and since there’s little I can do about it, I have no choice but to accept it. It definitely hurts but more than anything, it’s a very strange sensation, unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.

Doctors told me this is normal and an indication that those nerves are healing and regenerating. I’ve had the burning in my arms and fingers for the last four months or so, but it occurs less frequently than it used to. Now I’ve started to feel a similar burning sensation (but not as itchy) in my abs and low back, which makes sense if you think my spinal cord is healing from the top down and now reaching those levels in my mid-body where I have about 60-70% sensation. While it’s an odd feeling, I do somewhat appreciate the burning since it’s an indication of healing. Now I try to embrace this burning and imagine that the fires burning in each millimeter of my body are happy fires that are bringing my body back to normal.

The other thing with Histamine its also a healing response

During the wound-healing process, these nerves signal the spinal cord that skin is being stimulated. The brain perceives those signals as itchy. These nerves are also sensitive to chemicals, such as histamine, which the body releases in response to an injury.

My worse itching is on my arms but now its also cropping up in random places, sometimes a cool pack will help or not at all. stress, which is ALWAYS present due the chemical balances we have is another kicker that sends it sky rocketing, I used to be so laid back pre Benzo hell  I was doing a back bend so far back I  kissing my own arse practically  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Now  everything fkn freaks me out man!!!! :tickedoff: Ridiculous things , before you cold have put a gun to me head and it wouldn't bother me :P

Now you name it my brain chemically  attaches anxiety and fear to it , and the insane itching and parenthesis jump yet another level, its seems to be certain times of day it gets a lot worse as well but my nerve endings constantly feel like I'm laying in a bed of itchy nettles and I've got random dry red patches cropping up on my face that itch and my eyes?  :D I'll have no eyes or skin left in that area shortly that's been the worst for  itching for along time a long time until the arms kicked off for, but the paraesthesia has been from head to toe for ages burning,nerve pain an ditching, and feeling like insects are under my skin :o

Try an antihistamine.  Def not advice, just a suggestion.  I’m not sure what else you can do.  It seems you e researched and tried everything.  Coconut oil. 

My back itches so much at one point.  But that passed.  My eyes itch often.  I get eczema like patches under my eyes and in my scalp. 

I just use coconut oil and try to ignore it.  But it’s not 24/7 and it’s not all over my body.  It’s much less when I’m well rested. 

Try an antihistamine.  Def not advice, just a suggestion.  I’m not sure what else you can do.  It seems you e researched and tried everything.  Coconut oil. 

My back itches so much at one point.  But that passed.  My eyes itch often.  I get eczema like patches under my eyes and in my scalp. 

I just use coconut oil and try to ignore it. But it’s not 24/7 and it’s not all over my body.  It’s much less when I’m well rested.

Ditto the above I get sores on my scalp as well but there seems to be nothing you can do about it accept pray it passes :(

Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

The other problem is that we also suffer from Vagus nerve dysfunction in withdrawal as well  And check out that link next to’ ‘Food sensitivities/Allergies'' as well , read the whole article, especially under Common symptoms of food sensitivities  

I have practically all those symptoms as do many other Buddies all because our Vagus nerve is effed by withdrawal and the DAO enzyme  that breaks down histamines is blocked by Benzo's and the body can't cope with the over spill  of histamines on the rampage in withdrawal  :tickedoff:

Symptoms of Vagus nerve dysfunction

Gastrointestinal dysfunctions

Inflammatory conditions

Fatigue, brain fog, fibromyalgia

Sleep dysfunction

Delayed gastric emptying

GERD

Food sensitivities/ Allergies https://thrivinglifewithliezl.com/do-you-have-a-food-sensitivity/

B12 deficiency (inhibited intrinsic factor)

Depression

Behavioural disorders

Difficulty losing weight

Nova: " kissing my own arse"...lol. Im in a wave but you made me laugh for a min. - thanks. you have a way with words.

I always like when people break things down scientifically for people. Understanding what is going on is so beneficial.

I was super itchy all of month 3..then it went to deep burning and ache. Yup - all normal:)