Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

After 10 years, quit twice, on the journey again klonopin

[Cu...]

Hello all, I was on Klonopin for 10 years on and off... first

Time I was 3 years in on 2-3mg a day and I quit cold turkey.. I had NO problems until 18 months later, absolute pure hell worst thing I ever did was cold turkey! Reinstated and stayed around .5mg for a while gradually got up to 1.5mg and tapered down by cutting .25mg every 2 weeks and jumped at .125..and now I’m looking to taper very slowly from 1.5mg! Scared as can be but ready!!

Hello Cupcake88 and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on starting your taper off Klonopin.  You've come to the right place for information and support from a community of members who understand what this process is like.  It's great you joined as you enter the final phase of your taper and that you are planning a slow, gradual taper.  That's the best way to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

We typically support a taper with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer as dictated by symptoms.  You'll find taper plans and input from members to help plan the rest of your taper.

There's a lot of information here to take in.  At the same time, knowledge about benzo withdrawal will arm you to take on this challenge.  Please explore the site at your own pace.  You may want to start with these boards - feel free to post with questions when you're ready:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

For more information please check out:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Methods Overview

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you found us!  Please reach out for support-

Brighterday  :)

OK I will give a quick summary of how this has gone..

10 years ago I cold turkeyed off of Xanax and Clonopin around 3 to 5 mg. No one told me that that was a bad idea I did not have any issues at all until 18 months later (horrendous) I dealt with that for like six months and then reinstated at 0.5 mg I weaned myself off of 1.5 mg three years ago and reinstated at 0.25 mg because it was extremely overwhelming and I may have gone a little too fast...

THIS TIME I plan to cut at 0.125 mg every two weeks to see how I feel, I would like to jump at 0.125 mg which obviously is a while away but I’m wondering if anyone has jumped at this does after being on for such a long period of time or should I jump at a slower dose or even titrate? Obviously I’m afraid of seizures... which I know is much less of a risk if you’re going very very slow... any input?

Welcome to BB

You can successfully taper Klonipin and stay off forever.  Your taper first time was successful.  I’m surprised you had suddenly wd at 18 months off.  What happened the 2nd taper when you jumped at .125?  How long was that taper, and what sort of reductions did you make?  How long were you off before reinstating?  Lots of questions. 

Creating a signature will answer these questions for others looking to support you.

If you go slow with small reductions, you will be fine.  There is no hurry.  You want to succeed.  Please consider much smaller dose reductions.  Especially, as this is your 3rd taper you may find it more difficult.  Or not.  I hope not.  But your central nervous system remembers this experience.  Kindling can occur, which can make subsequent tapers more challenging.  Not meant to scare you, but yo support you in choosing a slow easy taper.  This can reduce symptoms a lot. 

I am on my 3rd taper.  First was easy.  No problems.  Second was easy.  Third one is much harder.  But, going slow now and ok and succeeding.  I’ll never go back after this.  I’ve learned my lesson.

To get those smaller reductions is impossible when cutting pills.  You’ll need to compound your benzo so you can measure small cuts accurately. 

Congratulations on your choice to get benzo free.