Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

setback day

[Fr...]

Hi everyone,

Having an unusually tough day today. I've posted about this before, but have a tough case of oral thrush that won't go away. I saw my doctor, who told me it didn't look serious but to see my dentist. My appointment with my dentist is tomorrow, and it's giving me horrible anxiety. I have spiraling thoughts that I have tongue cancer and it's going to have to be removed (always assuming the worst). I'm so revved up today I can't sit down, and am just pacing waiting minute by minute for the day to go by. It's almost unbearable. It's tough being over three months out and still having such bad anxiety and waves. I guess I was overly optimistic in assuming I'd be much better by this point. But has anyone suffered from this kind of anxiety and persisting physical withdrawal symptom like a bad tongue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

Hi everyone,

Having an unusually tough day today. I've posted about this before, but have a tough case of oral thrush that won't go away. I saw my doctor, who told me it didn't look serious but to see my dentist. My appointment with my dentist is tomorrow, and it's giving me horrible anxiety. I have spiraling thoughts that I have tongue cancer and it's going to have to be removed (always assuming the worst). I'm so revved up today I can't sit down, and am just pacing waiting minute by minute for the day to go by. It's almost unbearable. It's tough being over three months out and still having such bad anxiety and waves. I guess I was overly optimistic in assuming I'd be much better by this point. But has anyone suffered from this kind of anxiety and persisting physical withdrawal symptom like a bad tongue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

Hi health anxiety is normal its all part of withdrawal symptoms and we ALL get and think the worst ,  don't worry, I was having a tragic health fest myself last week when I really believed I had all sorts of terrible illnesses, but its passed again and its just withdrawal, no doubt I'll be at it again freaking out I got some terminal illness . ::) Oral thrush is REALLY common in withdrawal look at all the threads about it on this link it will put your mind to rest hopefully  :thumbsup:  Oral thrush  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

A bit of advice if ever your worried try using the ''search'' box upper right corner , your going to find everything your worried about is all part of withdrawal, plus using the search is probably going to give you an answer rather than sitting waiting full of anxiety for someone to reply as it can take sometime before you get an answerer and sometimes you may not get one but the search will be helpful place to start :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

PS Sorry but I thought the link I posted would bring up all the Oral Thrush threads but it appears you need to type 'Oral thrush'' into the search box yourself to being up all the different threads  :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten:  :smitten:

Hi Nova,

So true, and thank you! My bad withdrawal anxiety generally manifests itself in worries surrounding my physical health and concerns I have a terminal illness and am going to die shortly. Honestly it's pretty brutal. I saw my GP and he told me it looked like thrush and wasn't serious, and I'm still over here worrying about this dentist appointment. Sounds like I'm not the only one. All the best!

Yep. I have been tapering for six months and was doing pretty good but on Friday, thought I was having a heart attack. The doctor gave me an EKG which was normal. They said it was extreme stress. I also have a panic disorder so I'm not surprised. Today is better. You will have better days!

If your doctor looked and wasn’t worried, then what are the chances you have cancer and your doctor is just that clued out?  Anxiety is wd.  It’s a symptom.  Try not to identify with your symptoms.  Distance yourself from that thinking.  You likely just need yeast meds.  Too much yeast in the system can be reduced.  Stop eating gluten breads and dairy.  At least until you heal this thrush.  You’ll be ok. 

Hi FreeCeltic -

Many of us know the fear you describe so well.  You'll see it said in some form or other a lot on here - anxiety in benzo withdrawal is like garden variety anxiety on steroids. 

It's really worth revisiting What's happening inside your brain often.  It helps to understand why our fear can be so massive in withdrawal.  In essence the fear center of our brains goes into overdrive and tells us disaster and catastrophe are about to happen any minute!  I found it comforting to return to this piece again and again because it helped me realize my fear was not ME - it was my brain trying to recalibrate after benzos.

Distraction and self care help soothe us and shift our attention away from the subjects our brains ask us to ruminate on.  Now is the time to be extra kind and gentle with yourself  and to find activities you can stay busy with - whatever - cleaning your kitchen, gardening, painting& drawing, crafts, etc.

This takes time.  Healing takes time.  But healing happens.

I hope your thrush resolves soon!

Brighterday

Thanks all!

Thought I'd give an update. Saw dentist today and he said looks like thrush to him. Gave me a new medication to tackle it. Third medical professional with the same diagnosis. Clearly they're right and I'm just a paranoid mess these days. But a little relief at least! Hope everyone's hanging in there this week!