Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Signs of Recovery

[Gw...]

For anyone who has fully recovered, when did you know you were getting better? I mean, when did you know for sure you were definitely on the mend and not just having a good window.

I feel much improved, hard to explain really. I still have anxiety but it is more like energy now and less like being afraid. I also just "feel" more like myself. It's strange. At times I feel 100% and don't even think about it but I always come back to it. Definitely not where I was a few weeks ago.

Sounds like you’re healing.  It’s individual how a person knows.  Just changes that last.  Feeling normal.  Forgetting the hurt.  Getting distance on it. 

I’m still tapering.  But I’m also def healing a lot. 

I think it’s good to keep a log. For example. My twisting stomach feeling has gone the past couple of days. Little steps to mark improvement or note new symptoms. But also I’m trying not to hyper focus on symptoms. You got this. All the best.

For me, I felt I was recovering when I could fall asleep, and stay asleep, without the aid of pills.  Also, waking up feeling refreshed and happy to start the day as opposed to feeling dread and wondering how I would make it through the day.

It sneaks up on you. things start improving and physical symptoms fade, I spent less time on the forum or constantly thinking about symptoms.  I woke up happy, calm and content and realised this had been going on for weeks. I can't recognise the person I was not long ago.

Oh yeah natural sleep,every night.  it's heaven .

Andrew

Ugh, I really thought I was on the mend but for no reason I can think of today my anxiety hit level 10. Started with a headache and jitters (just overall weird feeling) and now it's like I've gone back in time two weeks. I worked out really hard yesterday but surely that can't be it. This is so damn frustrating! Two weeks of Ambien. Unbelievable.

Today is a month since I took anything.

It's still early days for you. looking at your history you would hope your symptoms will not be as bad or last as long. we can only hope. if your getting good days only a monthly it's a good sign.

Hang in there

Andrew

Thanks for the support. I swear the only thing that helps during this is to hear from people who have gone through this and recovered.

It's shocking how the withdrawal/effects of these drugs affect us. It seems like it will never end and life as you knew it is over. For me, I just can't believe that two weeks of Ambien could do this. Even in spite of the past Ativan.

I know exactly how you feel. I really thought I was permantly damaged. I saw no end and no hope. I just pushed on day after day but it did improve.

it is quite scary such a low dose and short term use could cause this but you are not the first person to have whithdrawal from shor term use. If you read my signiture you can imagine how rough my whithdrawal was lol. Trust me I know how you feel.

Andrew

I really appreciate your support Andrew. I truly hope you are 100% symptom free now. It's admirable that you still offer encouragement to people like myself now.

On a different note, did you happen to have any of the following: dry mouth, stuffy nose, and nasal drainage? I've noticed that when my anxiety cranks up I experience those. In the mornings I'm constantly clearing my throat for a few hours. It's really odd.

Happy to help.

physically I did ok, the pcsycological symptoms where so bad I didn't really suffer the physical..From being on the forum nothing surprises me. the symptoms vary as much as the people on here. I did nasal issues, headaches 24/7 for 2 months, bloating and stomache issues, light sensitivity. there may be more but I can't remember.

Oh yeah I had fatuige which went on for a while after I recovered . I saw a doctor and they found a nasal infection . some antibiotics and no more fatuige .

Andrew

Fortunately I haven't had many physical symptoms either other than occasional headaches and the stuffy nose and nasal drainage. Those are the least of my worries though. Other than that I function as I always have with work and home and such. It's the damn anxiety and constant, and I mean constant, thinking about it all. I've almost forgotten who I was before all of this.

I'd give almost anything to be who I was before all of this. These drugs are criminal.

With short term use, I cant  see why you wouldnt return to the person you where. Now if that person had anxiety, its something you you will need to learn how to deal with without the benzos.

I started taking Xanax for anxiety but in the end the Xanax cused more anxiety than I origionally had. Ive come out a better person and im ontop of my anxiety without benzos now. I am on 2 anidepressants so they may be helping. If things keep improving I may jump off them also.

I dont want to minimise anyones physical suffering but I would have traded my mental side effects for physical ones in a second.

Andrew

Agreed. For myself, my greatest fear is how the Ativan comes into play. I took it nightly for nearly two years but stopped taking it daily for a few months prior to the Ambien with no real issues. Naturally, now that I'm suffering from anxiety, I keep convincing myself that the Ativan damaged my brain and the Ambien just finished it off....and now I'm permanently screwed. Doesn't help that no medical person has any idea if that may be the case.

Nothing is broken permanatly, just a temporary adjustment. I thought for sure I had done permenant damage and would never be the same.I even thought I would just go back on Xanax and stay on them for life, it seemed better than what I was feeling. Im glad I waited.

If I didnt break anything with my level of abuse I sure you will be fine. A bit of paitence and some work on improving yourself and how you deal with anxiety.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to bring me back from the "ledge" (not literally). I guess I'm just suffering a "wave". I was improving quite a bit.

@[gw...]

Just do your best to ride the wave out.  Accept that you are healing and try to stay calm.  Don’t let yourself be frustrated. 

I’ve been riding a bad wave for almost a week now but today it seems like it is breaking.  I woke up tired and exhausted, but forced myself to take a nice long hike in the woods, and now I am starting to feel a bit better.

Best wishes to you on your recovery.