Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Average Recovery Time

[JR...]

I am seeing lot of people suffering here from over a year or two and may be more. Do they get heal or get better, I am only 4 months off and wondering there's no way I can go like this for 2-3yrs. Anyone knows what's the average time for recovery or healing. Any stats as when mostly people recover.

ANy hope...

Throw your timeline and calendar out the window my friend. Everyone is different. Know that it takes time. Marathon not sprint.

Just when we think we can't do another day - we do. Somehow. We reach deep and hold to hope. Even if it is a year or two, its an investment in a future of decades more of health. I'm preaching to myself here. You and I are very similar in our time off.

the thought of a long recovery is hardest on the very bad days that want to drown us in despair. Read the success stories - it helps to refocus:)

[a5...]

Nobody knows. I was told 6-12 months and when this time passed I was told 12-18 months. ...well this time passed too. My new timeframe is  24-36 months. Well...soon there....I had stopped focus on time. I will just be upset and so sad to see that I am not there. I have not healed. Yet.. 😊🌞 When we had healed we will now how long time it took. It depends on our genetic/DNA how long time it will take to heal our CNS.  I had say the same. Not one more day. But I am here ...31 months off. You can do it. :smitten:

In my view, it doesn't matter when you jumped. I think what matters is when you started tapering. In my view it takes 2-3 years for a significant number of people. Of course everybody is different, and some people are luckier and can be healthy faster.

[64...]
From my own experience and what I have seen here, 18-24 months. I am 19 months off and finally healed, 3 months ago I thought it would never end.

Catherine Pittman did a study of BBs a while ago.

Average was 14 mnths.

As far as I can tell if ppl aren’t better by 18 mnths most of rest tend to recover sometime in year 3 I.e btwn 36 & 48 mnths.

Some ot takes much longer.

Those with severe physical symptoms - muscles, sensory etc seem to take longer to recover of they do at all.

Throw your timeline and calendar out the window my friend. Everyone is different. Know that it takes time. Marathon not sprint.

Just when we think we can't do another day - we do. Somehow. We reach deep and hold to hope. Even if it is a year or two, its an investment in a future of decades more of health. I'm preaching to myself here. You and I are very similar in our time off.

the thought of a long recovery is hardest on the very bad days that want to drown us in despair. Read the success stories - it helps to refocus:)

I’d vote for this being the most sensible response.

I am 23 months benzo free after a two year taper.  I was a long term user, 15 years.  I am still very sick, and really hope that 36 months, which will be a year from now, will be the turning point for me.  According to what I read here, this is the turning point for a lot of people.

I am 6 months off 4 mgs of valium today and still struggling as yet with increased symptoms,

I am hoping that I recover within the normal time frame which could be anything from 6 months to  4 years,

It is all so individual though ,

I am older than the majority on the boards and have had a hard time on the drug , tapering, and off it, so I may take longer than some, but no one can predict,

If only we knew this before taking any prescribed psychotropic drugs,

Lets hope we all heal well and as soon as we possibly can 

Jen 

I am 23 months benzo free after a two year taper.  I was a long term user, 15 years.  I am still very sick, and really hope that 36 months, which will be a year from now, will be the turning point for me.  According to what I read here, this is the turning point for a lot of people.

I looks like you "jumped" from 5 mg. According to Ashton, one should "jump" at 0.5 mg. Jumping from a high dose seems to cause a more prolonged course. It is also probable that if one is a long-term user, healing lasts longer. Unfortunately, these notions are based on popular wisdom and not solid scientific evidence. Also, individual variability complicates the picture.

I looks like you "jumped" from 5 mg. According to Ashton, one should "jump" at 0.5 mg. Jumping from a high dose seems to cause a more prolonged course. It is also probable that if one is a long-term user, healing lasts longer. Unfortunately, these notions are based on popular wisdom and not solid scientific evidence. Also, individual variability complicates the picture.

Yes I think individual variability does come into it as I was on 4mgs of valium 20 months in total including a 14 month taper down zero , and still at 6 months off I am worse than ever

I can only hope that the severity of symptoms doesn't indicate the speed of recovery but I have a feeling it gives an indication

I hope and pray each day that something will improve as I don't seem to be following a windows and wave pattern either

I will know when I get there I suppose, 

Nothing about this class of drug is predictable , I think maybe genetics plays a par,t as  I cannot think why otherwise I am struggling so much

Jen