Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I really need to hear from someone with NUMBNESS PLEASE!!!

[he...]

Hi guys,

I just really need to hear about someone's experience with numbness! My anxiety is through the roof about this...

I've been having arm numbness (both sides, but usually more on the left) for the past 4 months or so only when I sleep! I wake up with my whole arm feeling "dead". I still have sensation in it somewhat, but it's like I was lying on it for a long time (even though it could even be the top arm, but the bottom compressed arm when I lay on my side). I've already been to a couple of docs to rule out neck and other potential issues (had neck xray, blood work, older MRI reviewed - all normal). I'm seeing a neurologist right now to see if there's issue with circulation or nerves (having an arterial ultrasound done tomorrow to rule out any blockage in brain arteries or vertebrobasilar  insufficiency). But he is convinced it'll come back normal, since I'm only 32, slender, don't smoke, don't drink, no cholesterol issues etc...Otherwise he's at a loss of what is happening. I did mention that I was on klonopin on and off and hit a pretty bad withdrawal when I went off C/T, he just rolled his eyes as though the WD is all bullshit.

So I'm wondering if any of you had/have similar experiences? It would just at least ease my mind to hear from someone struggling with similar symptoms while I wait for my hopefully "normal" results from the docs.

Health for all you guys!

When I got low last time I had this. Top arm often worse than bottom.

But I have a lot of  degeneration and extreme tightness, contracture etc in shoulders, spine, neck etc so not sure if that is causing it.

Do you get pain and tightness  lying on shoulders and in neck at all?

Hello

I am about 3.5 years off and have recently been waking up with numb hands. Starting to think it is benzo related.

When I got low last time I had this. Top arm often worse than bottom.

But I have a lot of  degeneration and extreme tightness, contracture etc in shoulders, spine, neck etc so not sure if that is causing it.

Do you get pain and tightness  lying on shoulders and in neck at all?

Hi Ajusta,

Thank you for your input!!! Ohhhh, my heart hurts just thinking of your pain and here I am whining about my numbness... :-[

I always had neck pain even before benzos (I have super mild disk degeneration and bulging to cause discomfort but apparently not enough for numbness), but lately I feel like my neck muscles are so super tight that I feel they will stay in spasm and I won't be able to move them. Like chewing or talking is difficult. Super creepy and weird. That usually happens after I stretch the neck muscles and try to do some strengthening exercises. So weird. I was also wondering if maybe muscle tightness and spasms could be causing this...but what's weird is that it's worse when lying down when muscles are presumably relaxed...  :o

Hello

I am about 3.5 years off and have recently been waking up with numb hands. Starting to think it is benzo related.

Oh wow!!! And you've been doing ok up until now? I wonder if it could be something else other than withdrawal.

I know many having the numbness with myself one of the most severe if not the the most severe case.

My whole person is completely numb ever since fast tapering down from 2.5 to 0.8 mg v. I'm now 11 months off still have this massive numbness but not as constant and allover. It is more like half of me or random part of me. It's not from the muscle contraction tightness etc., It's a independent set of sx, more from misfiring of the nerve signals.

Even my shoulders and neck are damaged by the severe crushing muscle contraction and pulling, i believe that is not the cause as I can have pure numbness without bad pulling tightness or visa versa.

You may just save both time and money not pursuing for more doctors and tests. Some tests can be harmful to a sensitized system. I passed out after a MRI with zero anxiety or any mental trigger.

I have this. It was one of the first symptoms to show up along side a weird brain surge kinda feeling. I'm not sure if it's there when I'm going asleep but it's defiantly there when I wake up but not from normal sleep but only from naps and only when I'm having a wave. Also when I am in a wave and I'm napping, I go into a twilight sleep, not quite awake but not quite asleep, just somewhere in between and I can feel it in that state as well.

It's worth pointing out that most of my wave symptoms now are brain related. Its either, surging, tremours or pressure and any other symtoms I get (like skin loosening or dead arm's) are directly related. In fact if I can feel my skin go funny, I know without a doubt that my brain is about go into symptom mode

I know many having the numbness with myself one of the most severe if not the the most severe case.

My whole person is completely numb ever since fast tapering down from 2.5 to 0.8 mg v. I'm now 11 months off still have this massive numbness but not as constant and allover. It is more like half of me or random part of me. It's not from the muscle contraction tightness etc., It's a independent set of sx, more from misfiring of the nerve signals.

Even my shoulders and neck are damaged by the severe crushing muscle contraction and pulling, i believe that is not the cause as I can have pure numbness without bad pulling tightness or visa versa.

You may just save both time and money not pursuing for more doctors and tests. Some tests can be harmful to a sensitized system. I passed out after a MRI with zero anxiety or any mental trigger.

4mom,

Thank you so much for replying. Whole body?! That is BRUTAL!!! I think I would probably lose my mind if I were you... :-[ I’m so sorry you’re going though this. So did you end up getting meaningful input from your MRI or did the doc write you up as a nut case and told you to go do some deep breathing(like I’ve been told)?

I have this. It was one of the first symptoms to show up along side a weird brain surge kinda feeling. I'm not sure if it's there when I'm going asleep but it's defiantly there when I wake up but not from normal sleep but only from naps and only when I'm having a wave. Also when I am in a wave and I'm napping, I go into a twilight sleep, not quite awake but not quite asleep, just somewhere in between and I can feel it in that state as well.

It's worth pointing out that most of my wave symptoms now are brain related. Its either, surging, tremours or pressure and any other symtoms I get (like skin loosening or dead arm's) are directly related. In fact if I can feel my skin go funny, I know without a doubt that my brain is about go into symptom mode

That sucks big time...that’s so weird how it’s limited to nap time for you  :-\. Now that you mention it, I didn’t even notice the new type of naps I started having since WD...it’s exactly like that “not quite awake, but not fully asleep” anymore 😞 and mine also became short, like 15-20 minutes instead of regular 1 hour nap. Wow, I never realized that.

As for the brain symptoms, those are the worst...at least when it’s physical, you’re just pissed off at sensations, but when it’s in your head - it’s much harder to get distracted from it  :( sounds like it’s been a longer haul for you as well, 1.5 years or so? Do you feel like it’s gotten better though?

Hey health4all,

It's truly insane every set of the sx I got, even the whole body and head numbness sounds horrific, the other 2 major sets, allover pins and needles pain is the most torturous, and the violent head and body distortion pulled by the uneven extreme muscle contraction is the most disabling.

I tapered off lexapro in 4.5 yrs before touching the most evil crap valium. The MRI was for a back injury and valium was given for that reason after the MRI. So even before valium, my system was sensitized by lexapro causing the reaction to MRI.  All Doctors have no clue in this pchyc drug induced craziness. I would say pretty much any bazzair sx you get during wd most likely are from this crap.

Hi guys,

I just really need to hear about someone's experience with numbness! My anxiety is through the roof about this...

I've been having arm numbness (both sides, but usually more on the left) for the past 4 months or so only when I sleep! I wake up with my whole arm feeling "dead". I still have sensation in it somewhat, but it's like I was lying on it for a long time (even though it could even be the top arm, but the bottom compressed arm when I lay on my side). I've already been to a couple of docs to rule out neck and other potential issues (had neck xray, blood work, older MRI reviewed - all normal). I'm seeing a neurologist right now to see if there's issue with circulation or nerves (having an arterial ultrasound done tomorrow to rule out any blockage in brain arteries or vertebrobasilar  insufficiency). But he is convinced it'll come back normal, since I'm only 32, slender, don't smoke, don't drink, no cholesterol issues etc...Otherwise he's at a loss of what is happening. I did mention that I was on klonopin on and off and hit a pretty bad withdrawal when I went off C/T, he just rolled his eyes as though the WD is all bullshit.

So I'm wondering if any of you had/have similar experiences? It would just at least ease my mind to hear from someone struggling with similar symptoms while I wait for my hopefully "normal" results from the docs.

Health for all you guys!

I had this during the early part of my taper. I had a nerve conduction test and was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome. The doctor had me sleep with my arms straight for several weeks and it went away. I believe it was caused by benzo because of all the other nerve issues I had. The doctor gave me elbow braces to keep my arms straight at night, but I soon just wrapped them in towels at night with tape around the towel because that was more comfortable. Maybe you could try keeping your arms straight when you sleep to see if it helps. You might have something completely different, but it might be worth a shot. Good luck!

I have had this symptom for many months now, I saw my  Doctor and he checked as thoroughly as he could and had blood tests, but nothing showed,

I haven't had a scan ,

I have spoken to Bristol Tranquillizer project  who have dealt with withdrawal for many years and they say numbness and tingling is quite common and Baylissa says get it checked if it's a worry but again it is a withdrawal symptom ,

It's one of many frightening symptoms I have, and for me it lasts through the day , maybe a bit easier in the evening

But  yes, both arms go dead , ,My right is worse than my left, but it can hit either,  and it stays, so my hands feel prickly and cold even if they are not

It is very scary, I know ,

I am hoping it will eventually ease, along with  the severe tinnitus and the terror/panic/ fear I live with each day

It's hard living this way,

6 months off for me after a long taper,  from  20 months use including taper, from 4mgs valium.

It might be that my age is playing a part in all of this and poor sleep doesn't help

I am so longing for healing to happen, 

Best wishes

Jen

[b4...]

Hello

Me too. I am 2.5 years off...

That sucks big time...that’s so weird how it’s limited to nap time for you  :-\. Now that you mention it, I didn’t even notice the new type of naps I started having since WD...it’s exactly like that “not quite awake, but not fully asleep” anymore 😞 and mine also became short, like 15-20 minutes instead of regular 1 hour nap. Wow, I never realized that.

As for the brain symptoms, those are the worst...at least when it’s physical, you’re just pissed off at sensations, but when it’s in your head - it’s much harder to get distracted from it  :( sounds like it’s been a longer haul for you as well, 1.5 years or so? Do you feel like it’s gotten better though?

Oh God yes, I'm a million times better than I was. I'm definitely on the home straight with this. I'd likely be healed by now if I had taken better care of myself.

The naps for me were absolutly essential. My brain would vibrate and everything would scream you have to sleep right now. I couldn't keep my eye's open but weirdly this never happened when I was outside my own home. It's exactly like when your computer needs to install new softwear but you can delay it so that it's convenient for you and the naps are simply the software downloading and your system restarting rather than it closing down properly.

My brain vibrations have definitely become weaker and I no longer have to nap and if I try to I just can't. The symptoms morph and get weaker as time goes on