Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Struggling

[Gw...]

Today is day 20 since my CT from Ambien CR (occasional Ativan also).Both for sleep only. I've had some decent windows and a couple of decent days but still struggling. I do feel "different" though. Hard to explain.

Can anyone advise what it feels like " getting better"? I feel changes since this started but definitely not myself. Depressed, fatigue, constant anxiety (milder now). I have times when I feel almost like myself but I keep having really hard waves.

How long were you on it and how much did you take usually?

3 weeks is no time at all after a CT. You may find that many of the symptoms you have now are still present to a degree in 6 months from now. Healing is a process. I'm still tapering but nearly finished, I have improved considerably since I started this process. "Getting better" to me and I think most people who have been doing this for a while means noticing the improvements over a period of months. It can be quite deceptive because you tend to have these huge ups and downs and it's sort of hard to tell from day to day or even week to week. The setbacks become less frequent and less intense until mostly you're having good days. I'm looking forward to the day when I think "wow, I haven't even thought about withdrawals for [x amount of time]". Ultimately, "getting better" is putting this behind you. Good luck. Keep hanging in there.

Thanks. I only took the Ambien for two weeks. Prior to that I took the Ativan occasionally, maybe once per week if that. Unfortunately, prior to the occasional Ativan use I had a two year stretch when I took it nightly. I had only been using occasionally for a couple of months. I also had a two month stretch of no Ativan at all.

You’re in the acute phase of recovery.  You’ve been off for 3 weeks.  The meds have all cleared your system.  Your brain and nervous system are working hard to heal.  You have windows of feeling ok, waves of not.  The waves will get less.  You’re healing! 

Thanks, it really is indescribable how terrible this is. Even though I'm 20 days out this is still the acute phase? Ugh, I was really hoping for more improvement by this point since I stopped daily use 6 months ago (there has been some though). I was fine until I took the stupid Ambien.

I would say you are doing GREAT compared to the many others of us who were on a benzo for years and years and are struggling with terrible symptoms and are basically rendered couch potatoes.  I sure wish I could trade with you. 

I truly cannot imagine what it is like for those folks. I'm fortunate in that regard as I can still function normally. I'm just miserable 90% of the time. I pray for others who have it worse than me. I just hope this doesn't last for months and months...

Thank you for the encouragement and I genuinely hope you rapidly improve. No doctor should ever prescribe these drugs!