Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Valium taper

[Wi...]

Hello! I am at 2 mg Valium per day now and was wondering how I can taper this in the best way?

I’ve heard about daily micro tapering. I want to come off this in the best way.

I'm at 2.3 mg of Valium. In my view, there's no need to microtaper Valium. I decrease my dose by 0.1 mg every two weeks. My only symptom is tinnitus.

Hello, Winchesterpang. 

Although I am tapering a different benzodiazepine, I agree with Maugham1 that it is not always necessary (or, in some cases, optimal) to microtaper.  My experience is that the key is to make “small enough” reductions in dose.  For example, at this point in my taper, I am able to tolerate reductions in the range of 0.01mg (i.e. hundredths versus thousandths of a milligram).

If you’ve read the Titration:FAQs Pamster referenced, you’ve learned that members use a variety of tapering schedules (e.g. daily, weekly, bi-monthly, monthly).  For example, Maugham1 has indicated he makes his reductions every two weeks.  This makes sense given the half-life of diazepam.

The bottom line is that each of us has to discover what works for us given our unique history and physiology, current life circumstances, the properties of our benzodiazepine (as well as other factors). We must also be mindful that, in addition to being individual-specific, taper plans are living documents — what works at one point in our taper may not work at another. Consequently, we must monitor our withdrawal symptoms and be prepared to make adjustments in our plans if needed.

Given your past experience with tapering, do you have a sense of what a “small enough” reduction for you might be?  Do you have a sense of what tapering schedule might work best for you?

In closing, may I encourage you to add some details about your history of benzodiazepine use and tapering to your signature?  My observation is that members are more likely to respond to requests for input if they can see your history at a glance. 

I'm at 2.3 mg of Valium. In my view, there's no need to microtaper Valium. I decrease my dose by 0.1 mg every two weeks. My only symptom is tinnitus.

Hi Maugham,  sorry for what may seem a daft question but my brain function and ability to understand the simplest of things is messed up right now is messed up right now ::) Regarding how you taper do you use a  milligram scale that reads 0.000? Do put your pill on the scale say it weighs 172 or whatever for example, weigh the 172, and once you done this the reading is 0.173? is that how you taper your Valium? Thanks

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: