Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Which dose do you cut from

[Le...]

I am currently taking .90 mgs of Ativan daily. If I am taking the .90's of Ativan in 3 does throughout the day, which does to I make my next cut from?

I did and am doing a daily liquid taper and started out with three doses.  The first dose of the day was the one that was gradually tapered from, not actually a cut, per se, until it was finished and then there were two doses for the day. I'm down to one now.

I tapered valium, so not from personal experience (with a benzo), -some people find that half life and duration of therapeutic effect play a role..

Were it me, I would aim for an even spread of the above, as best as is practical, that is...

In the earlier stages it may work/feel best to have a higher dose for a particular need at a particular time, but as one gets lower and loses any/some therapeutic advantage it might be smoother spreading the reductions across all required doses..??

I dont think this is a “set” rule, as CAgirl appears to highlight...

:)

Ten percent off of just one dose will only be 3.3% off of your total daily dose. If you are going for a 10% reduction every 7-10 days, look at your total daily dose not the individual doses. With Ativan, I don’t recommend tapering out an entire dose...the half life is so short, you open yourself up to interdose withdrawal dosing fewer than three times until the very very end.

As for the way to do it, it’s a matter of personal preference. Some people taper by weighing out the entire daily dose and then dividing it into three...this makes for consistently equal doses. I’ve gotten into a pattern in dry microtaper of cutting off of my midday dose first, morning second, and night last over a few days...then hold until stabilized. It’s worked very well for me and allows me to ease into my cuts. With this drug’s short half life, interdose withdrawal is a real threat if you allow for dips in your dosing - some don’t mind this and prefer to weight certain doses (like more at night to help with sleep), but it’s definitely something to consider when deciding equal versus unequal doses.

As long as you are gradually moving downwards and your symptoms are manageable for you, I think any method you choose will be okay. Come join us on the Ativan taper support group...very supportive and positive group that’s been so very helpful to me.