Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone else think this pandemic is a blessing for us?

[Re...]

I was thinking last night how fortunate we are for this pandemic (although I wish it didn't take so many innocent lives), as this gave us 4+ months already of low key (no constant event invites and other forced social interactions) while we continue to heal and get better and better. This will most likely last until the end of the year, and many of us will be fully healed by then, all while staying low key (which is praised right now).

Anyone else agree?  :)

Yes and no....I totally see your point bc I too have benefitted from being without the "expectations" of life while being in recovery...BUT it can add to some people's anxiety and fears bc of the uncertainty of the future with it.

Many of my friends are scared of financial ruin, and I am concerned about what the upcoming school year will look like for my kids, or how the lack of human interaction will affect people's well being.

Many may feel like they need to see some "normalcy" return bc it gives hope that life will be good again.

But as many things/events in life it is not a simple "this or that"..its an " and also..". This pandemic is devastating,,but it is also a chance for families to reconnect, to stop with unnecessary busyness, to reflect on what truly matters.

I'm ready for it to be over:)

I was thinking last night how fortunate we are for this pandemic (although I wish it didn't take so many innocent lives), as this gave us 4+ months already of low key (no constant event invites and other forced social interactions) while we continue to heal and get better and better. This will most likely last until the end of the year, and many of us will be fully healed by then, all while staying low key (which is praised right now).

Anyone else agree?  :)

Yes, definitely a blessing for me. Naturally I’d rather the pandemic never happened but for me it’s given me time to just concentrate on healing. I’ve not missed the stress of traffic or having to deal with the general public. I’ve managed to identify some triggers and get a better grip on myself. I can imagine it’s very hard for a lot of people being on lockdown but i will make the most of this time  :)

It’s like a beautiful dream.  But I feel bad saying this as I know people who are suffering.  I feel for them and help when I can.

Luckily for me, it is just what I needed to help me recover.

My stress levels are so low, it’s wonderful. 

Not sure this is the right place for this thread ;-) maybe move it under 'chewing the fat'?

Anyway, I could not agree more with you. This pandemic has been a life changer for me. I have been working from home since March and, as a result of this, my work-life balance has improved tremendously. Cloud-based computing and video conference mean that, most of the time, there is no need to be face to face anymore.

And it's not just us, who are recovering from benzo, who agree with the above; 90% of my colleagues thinks that working from home is better in terms of work life balance.

SG

Hmm. I don't agree with this at all. I've had to go out and get groceries and run errands, and I have preexisting conditions (thanks to this torture of the benzo crap). I live in a condo building that houses many people. That's another worry. The collective suffering I feel from from around the world - well, it's hard to separate myself from it all. I hear ambulances every day and wonder if it's something to do with CV.

I've heard from a BB member who feels that since others are suffering, his anxiety has gone down. But for me it's just the opposite.

If you don't live in a busy city and are away from people mostly and don't have to fend for yourself, then I can understand.

Terry38

Totally understand where you are coming from, that’s why I was hesitant to respond.

I have friends in the restaurant industry, they are devastated.  Though some are doing ok with their unemployment benefits and have switched careers.  Some are happy that this forced them to change paths.

I’m thankful I live away from a big city.  But I always strived to be away from crowds.  Big cities can be fun for a few nights on vacation but my quality of life has only improved the further away I’ve gone.

I wish you peace, health and happiness. 

Huge blessing for me. A million responsibilities and stressors are gone. I’m able to handle the rest of my life so much better now. Before, it was all TOO much. Now, just the right amount of activity and stress. Miracle.

Not at all, it gives me something more to worry about on top of my already debilitating disabling withdrawal.

I use to joke about this pandemic as to have been induced just for my sake. "Sorry everyone but my situation required some sort of pause in life and God (or evolution) had do put everything on hold".

Of course it is very tragic with all the suffering and death this virus causes! But if it was "meant to be" that a pandemic should affect us this way it is perfect timing for me. My main trigger is social interaction and stress...

I like that pling!  I feel the same.

My friend’s daughter is ten, and the other day she told us she likes being at home and that it is nice to not be running around so much.  Plus she said it’s nice that mom and dad are around more, instead of at work. 

So for those not impacted economically, they seem to see this as a nice pause.

But I do feel guilty that it is helping me, yet hurting so many others.

I know exactly how you feel. It has felt like a big relief in a strange way, to have the focus off of me and my limitations. It's as if everyone is on the same playing field, in a sense. For some reason, I have found it motivating, and because I've developed such strong tools to manage hardship, anxiety and challenges... I felt like I handled it really well. I've almost thrived. Of course, I feel terrible for everyone suffering, it is a terrible circumstance... but we've dealt with something longer and harder. I don't want to minimize it for others, though. I know it's been devastating for so many. However, I have tried to find the silver linings when possible.

:smitten:

Best,

Faith