Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Phases and cycles of reoccurring symptoms - especially breathing

[Lo...]

I’ve been tapering off 2mg Lorazepam for about 2 1/2 years now give or take. Or trying to at least. I’ve been noticing that I get reoccurring cycles of symptoms. For instance, about a year ago I would start being really OCD about my breathing, out of nowhere. I would take deep breaths and still have the feeling that I wasn’t getting a good deep breath and that would lead to continued deep gasping breathing which really took a toll on my anxiety for months. My o2 was always 97-100%, I’ve been to the ER, Cardiologists multiple times and nothing came back that I had an issue.

After a few months it went away slowly. Now, for the past 3-4 weeks it’s come back in full force, I try to stop myself from doing it, but now whenever I have an anxiety/panic attack, the breathing would become the center focus of what become afraid of.

Does anyone else go through these phases of reoccurring symptoms?

Hi Lost,

Yes absolutely chest tightness, air hunger, sense of not being able to get a deep breath - all of this is very common in withdrawal when our anxiety is in hyperdrive.  Our brain is trying to find equilibrium as it adjusts to reduced doses of benzo.  It's also possible you're experiencing the window/wave cycle that often happens in healing and the heightened anxiety you're feeling is part of that wave.

Hang in there - as time passes this should ease up more and more,

Brighterday